Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

why aren't Virgin flying to NZ before Sept 18 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 7:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Virgin have announced they are flying to Queenstown from Sept 18, start of school holidays, when other airlines appear to be charging a lot more than previously for flights from now & so yields must be up, even with the extra $50 now in govt charges to depart Australia & why only Queenstown before October ? Surely school holidays yields are always high.

Why couldn't they even do low frequency flights, eg. to AKL 2 or 3 times a week initially out of BNE, SYD, MEL, OOL ? They could always ramp it up, if demand is there. Most of the market right now, seems to be leisure or VFR, not business, so frequency doesn't seem to be an issue. Already Qantas is talking about putting B787s on the Tasman instead of smaller aircraft.

EDIT

just noticed this incorrect information still on Velocity site

Travelling internationally

The Australian Government has put in place a ban on overseas travel from Australia.

We recommend checking the latest information and advice on the relevant Government websites. The Australian Government information is available at the Border Force website, Department of Health website and Smartraveller.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; Apr 20, 2021 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Demand appears to be low, even without Virgin in the mix.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...bubble-tourism

Days before the bubble opened, Qantas and Jetstar reduced trans-Tasman capacity to reflect lower than expected demand, and on Friday, Air New Zealand chief executive Greg Foran told Stuff it had cut a few Tasman flights which were surplus to requirements.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Demand appears to be low, even without Virgin in the mix.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...bubble-tourism
I've taken a few flights between AU and NZ since the opening. Some flights are really busy but many are rather empty.

It's exactly like when AU domestic opened up. It'll take time and in the short term its rather smart that VA are holding off.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 4:01 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Virgin flights to NZ

Are Virgin flights still due to fly to NZ from the 18th of Sept ?
I will book a one way flight to Australia and use my flight credit to return
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beano
Are Virgin flights still due to fly to NZ from the 18th of Sept ?
I will book a one way flight to Australia and use my flight credit to return
NZ, QF & JQ have reduced the scheduled flights AU<---->NZ after less bookings than expected

13 May 2021 (ExecTrav AU)-->Virgin Australia delays return to New Zealand, Bali, Fiji
<snip>
At the time, Virgin slated "most New Zealand services" to bounce back from 31 October 2021, but the airline now says that most NZ destinations – including Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington – will remain off the map "until at least December 2021" due to an underwhelming uptake, says Virgin Australia Chief Strategy and Transformation Officer Alistair Hartley.

Queenstown flights still going ahead. The sole survivor is Queenstown, "where customers are looking to travel over the September school holidays and the upcoming summer. All other New Zealand services will be deferred for the time being.

Virgin's Sydney-Queenstown and Brisbane-Queenstown flights remain locked in from 18 September, with Melbourne-Queenstown following from 7 December

Virgin had already pushed back a restart of NZ flights twice this year, first to March and then June.
<snip>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.