Lounge update

Old Jul 6, 20, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer
Lounge update

Qantas has started reopening lounges; VA seems to be stubbornly keeping them closed (presumably to save money). Anyone know if this is likely to change any time soon, or if Virgin 2.0 under Bain Capital is really going to focus on the low-cost end of the market?
Old Jul 6, 20, 5:48 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Bain (or Virgin management) hasn't really made any announcements on what their plans are. I imagine we'll be waiting a little bit before we hear anything.
As for the lounges, I think they'll be back, but might be a week or two before we hear anything.
Old Jul 6, 20, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlySIA View Post
Qantas has started reopening lounges; VA seems to be stubbornly keeping them closed (presumably to save money). Anyone know if this is likely to change any time soon, or if Virgin 2.0 under Bain Capital is really going to focus on the low-cost end of the market?
Originally Posted by perthite View Post
Bain (or Virgin management) hasn't really made any announcements on what their plans are. I imagine we'll be waiting a little bit before we hear anything.
As for the lounges, I think they'll be back, but might be a week or two before we hear anything.
VA is still under the control of the administrators. They will not spend money, they do not have, on lounges
Old Jul 7, 20, 5:52 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
VA is still under the control of the administrators. They will not spend money, they do not have, on lounges
Bain are financially supporting the company. Even so, I'd wait until they have announced their overall plans.
Old Jul 19, 20, 11:18 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Flew last Friday BNE-NTL, can confirm zero lounge operations...
Old Jul 23, 20, 11:12 pm

Programs: Qantas, Virgin Australia, United
Either way it looks like it'll be a long time until we see a lounge open in Melbourne!
Old Aug 5, 20, 10:36 am

Programs: American, Delta, United, Southwest, Marriott, HIlton, Sheraton, Hyatt, Avis, Hertz, National, Sixt
They've actually now announced that they will be reopening lounges. When? No idea.
Old Aug 5, 20, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superjeff View Post
They've actually now announced that they will be reopening lounges. When? No idea.
Have seen nothing published. With many state borders being closed and/or harder to cross their will not be much demand for AU domestic flights in the next few months

ExecTraveller {AU) (05 Aug) Link----> Virgin to close lounges in Perth, Wellington, Alice Springs
Old Aug 5, 20, 9:03 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, DL-GM, QF-GLD, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
In the latest PR release they had the below fluff. So apparently they intend to bring back the lounges, some day... better than a closure announcement I suppose.

Virgin Australia is committed to continuing to provide Velocity members, including business and leisure customers, with a range of frequent flyer benefits including access to a network of domestic lounges. The airline plans to re-open lounges once travel demand increases.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: