FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Virgin Australia | Velocity (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity-682/)
-   -   Lounge update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-australia-velocity/2021072-lounge-update.html)

onlySIA Jul 6, 20 4:22 am

Lounge update

Qantas has started reopening lounges; VA seems to be stubbornly keeping them closed (presumably to save money). Anyone know if this is likely to change any time soon, or if Virgin 2.0 under Bain Capital is really going to focus on the low-cost end of the market?

perthite Jul 6, 20 5:48 am

Bain (or Virgin management) hasn't really made any announcements on what their plans are. I imagine we'll be waiting a little bit before we hear anything.
As for the lounges, I think they'll be back, but might be a week or two before we hear anything.

Mwenenzi Jul 6, 20 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA (Post 32511077)
Qantas has started reopening lounges; VA seems to be stubbornly keeping them closed (presumably to save money). Anyone know if this is likely to change any time soon, or if Virgin 2.0 under Bain Capital is really going to focus on the low-cost end of the market?

Originally Posted by perthite (Post 32511172)
Bain (or Virgin management) hasn't really made any announcements on what their plans are. I imagine we'll be waiting a little bit before we hear anything.
As for the lounges, I think they'll be back, but might be a week or two before we hear anything.

VA is still under the control of the administrators. They will not spend money, they do not have, on lounges

perthite Jul 7, 20 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 32512784)
VA is still under the control of the administrators. They will not spend money, they do not have, on lounges

Bain are financially supporting the company. Even so, I'd wait until they have announced their overall plans.

shillard Jul 19, 20 11:18 pm

Flew last Friday BNE-NTL, can confirm zero lounge operations...

Memma11 Jul 23, 20 11:12 pm

Either way it looks like it'll be a long time until we see a lounge open in Melbourne!

Superjeff Aug 5, 20 10:36 am

They've actually now announced that they will be reopening lounges. When? No idea.

Mwenenzi Aug 5, 20 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Superjeff (Post 32583301)
They've actually now announced that they will be reopening lounges. When? No idea.

Have seen nothing published. With many state borders being closed and/or harder to cross their will not be much demand for AU domestic flights in the next few months

ExecTraveller {AU) (05 Aug) Link----> Virgin to close lounges in Perth, Wellington, Alice Springs

CPMaverick Aug 5, 20 9:03 pm

In the latest PR release they had the below fluff. So apparently they intend to bring back the lounges, some day... better than a closure announcement I suppose.

Virgin Australia is committed to continuing to provide Velocity members, including business and leisure customers, with a range of frequent flyer benefits including access to a network of domestic lounges. The airline plans to re-open lounges once travel demand increases.