Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA ceases international ops, 90% dom reduction

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VA ceases international ops, 90% dom reduction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I suspect Qantas may have added a bit of capcity back. Yesterday availability was pretty sparse, and that Dash8 service via CBR was about it. It is still there next weekend.
serfty likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Do you have a source for that? I had not heard that and couldn't find any news about it
Apologies, given the context I should have been more specific, it was today that had the one flight. This shot was taken during the week:

CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikalee
Or they are giving the Government an appetiser of life would be like domestically if they don't survive.

Still it is up to the owners of VA to bail it out - they are after all owned by state controlled/influenced airlines. Otherwise if the Shareholder want taxpayer support they should turned all their Shareholder loans to equity then I would support the government perhaps lending the company some money, guaranteed by its owners jointly and severally and secured against real assets, repayable before any dividends can be declared.

Otherwise if it gets to the worse case scenario once the administrator is in get private capital around to buy the operation and restart it with no shareholder debt, take on the debt needed to run a solid domestic operation. If there is no private capital the taxpayer should come in at that point.
the same should apply to Qantas. Aren't they 49% foreign owned ?

How is the 49% rule managed ? eg. if an Australian sells Qantas shares, how on earth does anyone know who is ultimately buying those shares ? Could be some overseas entity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.