Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Thinking about flying Virgin Australia CNS>SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about flying Virgin Australia CNS>SYD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:20 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
Such discussion re security for Oz domestic has little specific to do with VA and needs to be taken to another forum.
Given its about VA not checking ID I am not so sure.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by markis10
If you check in online you don't get your ID checked at all, ever.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by markis10
Qantas don't check much either, if ever - it's a general topic.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Agreed, it is not VA specific (all Australian airlines are the same in this regard). Definitely off-topic. Sorry about that.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: VA Gold; IHG Diamond Elite; Hertz Presidents Club
I've never bought a VA J fare, but I'd absolutely bid to upgrade or use points on CNS-SYD. I do it for BNE-SYD.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Virgin, Qantas, Shangri La Hotels, Hilton Hotels
To the original poster's questions about Econ V. Biz...

I fly Syd > Cns (and return) on average once a year. Flight time is roughly 3h15m. Summer is not a nice time to be in Cairns - heat, humidity, mosquitoes, risk of downpours and families galore in the Xmas/school holidays peak period.

I typically encountered one-way prices of $280 in economy or around $900 in business. The business seats are usually empty-ish - two or three passengers in a section that may accommodate 8 to 10 passengers. (I can't recall seat numbers exactly).

The view out the window might be okay, but apart from that, flying is not a huge excitement to me (I'm not a Sam Chui type), so the steep/extra fees for a business class ticket (triple the price) are not justifiable for me. The destination should be more important than the flight.

I have never flown on a sale ticket, so I can't compare how a reduced price compares to normal fares.

I book the economy extra leg room seat (about $30) and an extra checked bag for my filming and recording equipment (about $30, or more when booked during check-in at the airport), so I'm already paying above the normal economy price. For me, that has been the 'happy medium' between affordability and comfort.

Interesting to note that VA economy has more legroom than the other airlines.

The business section is indeed spacier, but it looks pretty drab, like economy. It's mostly empty of other passengers, which is nice because you can stand up and move around with ease, etc.

These are my experiences only. 'YMMV'. If you can get a business seat at a nicely discounted price, take it. I would. But not at their standard business class prices. If I had a larger budget for some of the projects I undertake, I might spend the extra and book business class everywhere I go. The rest of the time, it simply comes down to justifying the price in my overall budget.

Last edited by Duograph B15507; Nov 5, 2018 at 4:34 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Agreed, it is not VA specific (all Australian airlines are the same in this regard). Definitely off-topic. Sorry about that.
Don't forget that there is legislation before the Australian parliament that will allow Australia's Blackshirts (aka. Border Force) to demand photo ID of anyone they choose who is any Australian airport at all for any purpose including seeing other passengers off, and insisting they leave the terminal immediately if no ID is produced. I have on a couple of occasions been challenged by VA staff to produce photo ID to prove that I am the same person as the name on the FF card
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I didn't forget, I never knew.

Still, proposed legislation isn't really relevant unless it passes.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:44 am

i live in SYD and commute to CNS about once a month. the business seat isn't worth the price difference. You can barely recline back on these airplanes and the flight is only 3 hours. Economy x or economy i'll suck it up. Sometimes if I need the status credit points and have the time I'll book a flight that stops over in BNE. Keep yourself entertained on the flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.