Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Thinking about flying Virgin Australia CNS>SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

So thinking about going from CNS>SYD, the prices finally came down today and business is roughly 2x the price as economy. On a relatively short flight like this one, do you guys think it is worth it or should I save the money for a nice dinner after. How are the cattle class seats on their 737? Thanks

Are seat selections free in both cattle and business, any extra points earning opportunity that I should factor into my calculation?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
What program do you plan on earning points in?

CNS-SYD I would call a medium length flight, so I think J is nice and reasonable to consider. It's hard to tell someone else how much value to put on an airline upgrade. I probably wouldn't pay the difference but I can understand why some would. VA J is quite good in both food and service; the seat isn't too special but decent room.

Seat selection is free except for the first few rows of extra-legroom economy (called EconomyX). I find EconomyX very spacious especially if you can get Row 3. I'd definitely consider buying an Economy X seat if you don't go with business.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Isn't Economy X the same seat except you get lucky and maybe get a bulkhead? I think they charge 50 to do that, so my difference is about 200AUD factor that in. That might be the route I ultimately go to as the ticket sale price for business is only good for one ticket I need 3

I don't really earn points on any of their partners, I guess Singapore would be where I put the miles. I am guessing at hte most i get like 150%, which is not a whole lot for a short flight like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Economy X has about 4" extra of seat pitch. Useful if 6' or more in height.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:53 am
Original Poster

On the 737-800, I think the seats are the same?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by mattack4000
The seats in Economy X are the same, it's simply the distance between rows 3, 4 & 5 are a bit bigger and there is exclusive overhead bins.

FWIW what's the pricing?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

288 usd for cattle (+35 for EX) and 467 USD for biz
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many PAX?

US$288 is an expensive oneway ticket, even in 'cattle'.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

I can play roulette and wait for an award ticket to open up. I booked an award ticket going to Cairns. This is for xmas week
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"xmas week"? That explains the price. It's peak season.

TBH, I really don't like the chances of any further awards opening up.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by mattack4000
EconomyX is a typical 'Economy Space' product, like UA, DL, AA have. Yes, it is the same seat, but there is more legroom (pitch). I think it is pretty good improvement myself on these aircraft. Although, I get it for free domestically as a VA Plat.

I would not expect an award to open up during the summer/xmas season. In fact, J & EconomyX might even sell out.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

The biz ticket went up, the cattle ticket is still there. I am thinking about just booking cattle and upgrade the Economy X. I think the only award seat that opened up is the earlier flight, I need the later flight so I have time to go visit the Koala bears
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just did SYD to OOL. Hated it. No leg room and I'm only 165 cm tall. Our row was to board at rear of plane via stairs on tarmac. I told the check ticket girls I prefer not to do that due to leg injury and she had this look of disdain on her face. I then said we are also carrying a baby and were only 2 rows difference from the front boarding area. The sigh under her breath and the oh okay spoke volumes.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Legroom on a QF 737-800 is worse by 1 inch. JQ worse by 2 inches. On a JQ A321 it’s 3 inches worse.

Check in at 48 hours prior often means there are seats in rows 6-12 available if you check in right on the 48 hours.

Food service on VA is decidedly low rent though.

CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Food service on VA is decidedly low rent though. ...
So is that of Qantas these days:

See here from AFF: This is Dinner on CNS-SYD | Australian Frequent Flyer

3 x small 'buns' (one eaten)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.