Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Thinking about flying Virgin Australia CNS>SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about flying Virgin Australia CNS>SYD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Just did SYD to OOL. Hated it. No leg room and I'm only 165 cm tall.
As already stated, VA has equivalent or better legroom in their standard Y seats compared to their competitors. And the option to buy a genuine extra legroom seat at a reasonable price, which you can't do on the competition (besides the odd exit row).

Perhaps you haven't flown in economy for awhile?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Prices still holding, Qantas is coming down. Should I gamble and wait or just buy now? Biz has gone up since i made this post. Darn it
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:55 pm

I suspect J will only go up. Y is more of a gamble, but even if Y prices go down, it is likely EconomyX seats will be steadily filling up.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Just booked 3 Freedom tickets in cattle. I think I can change for free. If I see something cheaper or a decent price upgrade. Does that mean I can pay the difference and move up or pocket it in a credit? I was able to find some discount coupon, got it to 345 AUD per person
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You should be able to change with no change fee.

Cancellations are different, it you want your money back there's a fee (AU$80 IIRC) per PAX. However, the funds can be deposited into a "travel bank" from where they can be used in full or part for any other fare.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
As already stated, VA has equivalent or better legroom in their standard Y seats compared to their competitors. And the option to buy a genuine extra legroom seat at a reasonable price, which you can't do on the competition (besides the odd exit row).

Perhaps you haven't flown in economy for awhile?
I haven't flown econ for a while. Scary their seats are best.

What was surprising. At Syd we did the self service check in and nobody at any stage checked out ID. Is that standard?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
No ID check at SYD on Saturday but certainly an ID check at MCY today.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
No ID check at SYD on Saturday but certainly an ID check at MCY today.
No ID chec at Coolongatta check in. Step daughter is very worried about it. She said in this day and age she thought it would be mandatory
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by mattack4000
So thinking about going from CNS>SYD, the prices finally came down today and business is roughly 2x the price as economy. On a relatively short flight like this one, do you guys think it is worth it or should I save the money for a nice dinner after. How are the cattle class seats on their 737? Thanks

Are seat selections free in both cattle and business, any extra points earning opportunity that I should factor into my calculation?

Thanks!
I just don't understand why would anyone spend extra money on 2:55 flight...
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattack4000
So thinking about going from CNS>SYD, the prices finally came down today and business is roughly 2x the price as economy. On a relatively short flight like this one, do you guys think it is worth it or should I save the money for a nice dinner after. How are the cattle class seats on their 737? Thanks

Are seat selections free in both cattle and business, any extra points earning opportunity that I should factor into my calculation?

Thanks!
I haven't travelled in economy for years but just couldn't justify a SYD to OOL 1 hour ish flight in business for $1000 as opposed to $250 in economy.

Normally I am all for business but in this instance no way.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:42 pm

OP if you haven't booked it yet then look on the Virgin website with some promo codes:

https://www.australianfrequentflyer....ongoing.54931/
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:16 pm

No ID chec at Coolongatta check in. Step daughter is very worried about it. She said in this day and age she thought it would be mandatory
What's the concern exactly? Everyone and their luggage go through the same security checks regardless of whether ID is checked or not. So, there's no reasonable safety concern.

The downside is someone can travel undetected by traveling under someone else's name, or using someone else's airline status. But I don't see that as something to be 'very worried' about. it is spot checked to some extent so anyone doing it is taking a risk.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
What's the concern exactly? Everyone and their luggage go through the same security checks regardless of whether ID is checked or not. So, there's no reasonable safety concern.

The downside is someone can travel undetected by traveling under someone else's name, or using someone else's airline status. But I don't see that as something to be 'very worried' about. it is spot checked to some extent so anyone doing it is taking a risk.
Terrorist takes the place of upstanding citizen who has evil intent.
Stalker could fly somewhere without a record and return home and say "I never left my house"...
etc.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:44 pm

Terrorist takes the place of upstanding citizen who has evil intent.
Stalker could fly somewhere without a record and return home and say "I never left my house"...
etc.
Potential terrorists would just fly under their own ID. They wouldn't want to get caught in a spot check when there is nothing stopping them from using their own name. A complete non-issue.

Yes, someone with criminal intent in another city/state could travel under a pseudonym to help hide an alibi... if they are willing to risk spot checks exposing whatever they are trying to do. Hardly any worry for the traveling public.

Personally I prefer less surveillance and more personal freedoms rather than superfluous and 99.9999% useless ID checks. Spot checks are much cheaper and keep people more or less honest.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Goodness did this thread take a tangent!

Such discussion re security for Oz domestic has little specific to do with VA and needs to be taken to another forum.
CPMaverick likes this.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 15, 2018 at 5:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.