Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on 7kg limit enforced?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Carry on 7kg limit enforced?

I'm going to take a series of short haul domestic flights on Virgin Australia in May visiting Australia. I travel light, but 7kg is very very light. How critical is it that I stay under this limit if I don't want to check bags?

If I check in online or at a kiosk, is there a chance someone would weigh my bag at the gate and charge me a overweight fee?

I would be traveling with a small backpack that is well within the size limits - it would just be closer to 10kg.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At times they weigh.
If your bag "looks" heavy or you are struggling to carry or lift it will get more attention.
Or if travelling on the smaller VA aircraft
On the B737 you should be OK (but do not come back at me if you get nabbed!)

7kg 8kg is not that unusal for airlines out of USA

A locked thread in this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...-policies.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...carry-ons.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 21, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I personally hope that they DO enforce it. Drive me nuts seeing people struggling to lift their overweight on-boards...
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by ninroot
I'm going to take a series of short haul domestic flights on Virgin Australia in May visiting Australia. I travel light, but 7kg is very very light. How critical is it that I stay under this limit if I don't want to check bags?

If I check in online or at a kiosk, is there a chance someone would weigh my bag at the gate and charge me a overweight fee?

I would be traveling with a small backpack that is well within the size limits - it would just be closer to 10kg.
There's no overweight fee for carry ons. They're simply not allowed according to the rule and must be checked in. Having said that, I'm yet to be asked to weigh my carry on with them.

If you're about to book the flights, you'll find that even the cheapest fares already include checked baggage allowance.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
There's no overweight fee for carry ons. They're simply not allowed according to the rule and must be checked in. Having said that, I'm yet to be asked to weigh my carry on with them.

If you're about to book the flights, you'll find that even the cheapest fares already include checked baggage allowance.
I don't want to check bags though because I'm doing a lot of short hops in a short amount of time and don't want to deal with the chance that they misroute/lose my bag. But it sounds as long as it doesn't look heavy I'm going to be fine, and even if it does look heavy, I should still probably be fine.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Are you stuck with VA? QF permit 2 x 7kg 42" carry-ons with their Jet services. duplicated on edit
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Are you stuck with VA? QF permit 2 x 7kg 42" carry-ons with their domestic Jet services.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
As a woman, I carry a large handbag and a carry on, so embrace your male sensitive side and get a murse - or at least a laptop bag/satchel type bag as your personal item so you can distribute the load.

Ive never been questioned on a domestic flight but Im guilty of mumbling to hubby, "make it look light" and hes carried as much as 23kgs in his backpack (camera equipment).

If the backpack isn't turtle/house on my back size, then hopefully you wont be questioned. You just never know with gate staff.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Not only don't they enforce the 7kg policy they don't enforce the one bag policy either - or at least I've never seen it happen and it's my 3rd year as a Platinum FF with them. Their #1 priority is on-time departure so unless you're clearly struggling with a large case of excess dimensions you should be quite safe. Having said that, you will earn my undying contempt for flouting the rules if I ever come across you
Old Apr 5, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
Virgin Australia is removing its Saver Lite fares, so in the future we shall not see people struggling to bring heavy luggage inside the cabin, as everyone will have at least 23kg worth of free checked luggage.

So if you just packed a little more, just go to the check in counter, its free
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Metropolitan Airlines
Virgin Australia is removing its Saver Lite fares, so in the future we shall not see people struggling to bring heavy luggage inside the cabin, as everyone will have at least 23kg worth of free checked luggage.
That sounds like wishful thinking to me; there will always be people who are not prepared to hang around the baggage carousel
Old Oct 22, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
My experience of the US airlines is that people will jam as much as they can into their carry on and drag it on to the aircraft.

I have never done the Aussie airlines and looking at the VA552/551 A330 flight. I am flying internationally and just taking carry on with me. Just wondering if things have changed much at all. I don't want the hassle of checking luggage so what is it like if I have your standard carry on bag?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you indeed have a smaller <=22" carry on, it is likely you will be fine. However, if you have an 'American' size carry on, probably you won't be allowed.

My experience is they do not weigh the carry-on bags if they are within regulation size. But unlike the US they will call you out if you have a bag that 'fits' when you stuff it in sideways.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:56 am

Most of the cabin crew look the other way. Guess they want to avoid the confrontation and hassle of doing something about heavy or multiple carry on bags.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am a Virgin Plat so fly a bit. Have NEVER personally seen any evidence whatever in the past year of them looking or asking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.