Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weight issues with Virgin Blue carry-ons?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Weight issues with Virgin Blue carry-ons?

So I've purchased a checked baggage allowance with Virgin Blue. I will use the allowable 23 kg there. I will also bring two carry-ons that are smaller than the allowed maximum sizes, however at least one will weigh more than 7 kg. Will Virgin actually weigh the carry-ons, or question them based on perceived weight? If so, what then? (I will be boarding at Cairns)

Thanks....
Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I think the fact you'll have 2 pieces of carry-on will attract attention. They've a scale near the gate which they will use - that's you manage to escape attention at check-in. They're an LCC afterall.

I'd consider checking one of those carry-ons.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold
like a lot of other LCCs, they're spotty on checking baggage weight, but do so more frequently than a legacy. On 2 flights, the three people I was with got weighed in 3 times in the 6 ticketing instances we had, so its a bit of a crap shot whether you'll get weighed in or not..
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
When I flew from Sydney to Melbourne I was asked to have my checked bag and carry on weighted at checkin.

Both were at max... in fact my checked bag was 25kg and I had to take stuff out and put it in the carry on, which was weighted and ended up being 9kg...

Luckily I had my laptop bag also, so the check in agent advised me to take my digital SLR out of the carry on and just carry it, while stuffing all the electrical cords and battery stuff into my laptop bag.

No problems at the gate, even though I was carrying way too much stuff with me... picture carry on backpack, laptop bag and a suit jacket on a hanger.

Coming back MEL-SYD there were no problems... my checked bag weighed 23.9kg and it was fine... although this time they made sure to put an orange "HEAVY" label on it, lol

--Russ
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Trip Report CNS-SYD

So I made the trip yesterday morning. The checked bag weighed 20 kg, and the two carry-ons totaled 17 or 18 kg combined. Before releasing my checked bag at the bag drop, I made sure that the carry-ons would be allowed without excess charges, pointing out that a laptop and camera were among the items contained therein. However, the Virgin employee would not confirm that these items' weight was separate from the 7 kg carry-on allowance, leading to an unnecessary and irritating discussion while other passengers were held up - finally ending when she said I wouldn't have any problems at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.