Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia Buys Controlling stake in Tiger Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Australia Buys Controlling stake in Tiger Australia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RooFlyer
Oh, oh.

Virgin is my preferred discount domestic airline (Jetstar = 'Airline of last resort'). However that attitude didn't even consider Tiger as an option - never bothered to even look at schedules or fares.

If Virgin pushes me to Tiger for cheaper fasres, they have lost me entirely; Jetstar, you'll be looking good!

Tiger = never, ever, ever.
It's hard to say what the 'push' factors from Virgin to Tiger will be yet. I odn't expect to be able to book TT on the VA website or see any advertising linking them. However there may be an implied push by increasing VA fares.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Exactly, at the moment I cannot see amy potential push either. To me it looks just as if they want to earn more money by getting some profit from Tiger. Regarding long-term implications, we will have to wait and see.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I wouldn't even assume any profits in the short term; TT has wiped out any profits made by the Tiger Singapore group for the last few years, and Virgin will be providing more for fleet expansion than it can expect to see in profits for some years.

The advantage is if there is to be a fare and capacity war, it is TT that cops the hit to the margins rather than VA. I think someone on AFF put it as Virgin will cop 60% of any losses from TT, but QF will copy 100% of JQ losses in any battle.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by FormalHall
I wouldn't even assume any profits in the short term; TT has wiped out any profits made by the Tiger Singapore group for the last few years, and Virgin will be providing more for fleet expansion than it can expect to see in profits for some years.

The advantage is if there is to be a fare and capacity war, it is TT that cops the hit to the margins rather than VA. I think someone on AFF put it as Virgin will cop 60% of any losses from TT, but QF will copy 100% of JQ losses in any battle.
No doubt, at least partially true.

JB would do well to keep Tiger at arm's length and avoid the horrible JQ/QF mish-mash that has damaged both brands in the eyes of so many customers.

I'm hardly Robinson Crusoe - I've gone from pure QF to DJ->Daylight->QF->JQ as airline of last resort. At least Joyce has some comfort - I still post points to QF rather than AA like so many do now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.