Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia compensation to be taxes only?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

I booked my annual free flight from Sydney (Australia) to Queenstown (New Zealand) on my Platinum Reserve AMEX.
While I had a good time there, on the way back there was a 16 hour mechanical delay, which was quite annoying. I've been told that I would receive compensation, but I was told that I would be compensated A$157.08 only. I believe that this is purely the tax part of the flight of it as the cheapest fare from Queenstown to Sydney is $289 one way which excludes luggage.

I called up Virgin Australia and spoke to a person there as well as a supervisor and the only thing they could suggest was to call customer relations which would be a 30 to 40 day wait.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Clearly I'm not happy after missing the best part of a day and then being told that my time is far less valuable than anyone else's.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Moved to Virgin Australia forum because quarrel seems to be with compensation offered by airline, unrelated to method of payment.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Moved to Virgin Australia forum because quarrel seems to be with compensation offered by airline, unrelated to method of payment.
Probably not.
The flight was from Amex as "my annual free flight from Sydney (Australia) to Queenstown (New Zealand) on my Platinum Reserve AMEX."
Old Sep 10, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Virgin Australia's compensation policy for a flight delay of greater than four hours is to provide a credit to the full value of the affected fare. In this case, that would be however much American Express has paid Virgin for this fare. Ulimately, that comes down to what the commercial arrangements between Amex and Virgin are for these fares. See here for reference: http://www.virginaustralia.com/Terms...nsationPolicy/

Personally, I find the compansation to be quite generous.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by perthite
Personally, I find the compansation to be quite generous.
Agreed. On a flight MEL-CHC in 2007 that was delayed 6 hrs I received a credit for the full amount less real goverment taxes / airport fees. The credit was more than needed fo the next MEL-CHC flight (including real goverment taxes / airport fees)
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:23 am
Original Poster

I would agree that the compensation policy on face value is generous, but other people will be receiving a minimum of twice what I will be getting. I don't really see $10/hour of delay as generous remuneration in my case.

I'll be calling up AMEX tomorrow and see if the can swing anything.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Maybe slightly OT, but does Amex issue Saver or Flexi fares? Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Maybe slightly OT, but does Amex issue Saver or Flexi fares? Thanks.
They seem to be quite easy to get and it includes 23kg of checked luggage, so it's not a standard saver fare. Not sure if it's a flexi fare or something else again.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I was advised yesterday by Amex travel they book into "Romeo" or "Tango" classes.

R is obvious, but T class suprised me.

Certainly R class is "Saver".
Old Sep 12, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spludgey
They seem to be quite easy to get and it includes 23kg of checked luggage, so it's not a standard saver fare. Not sure if it's a flexi fare or something else again.
I expect that it is some kind of private fare, with some specific rules. One of its other features is that you don't get Velocity points.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by perthite
I expect that it is some kind of private fare, with some specific rules. One of its other features is that you don't get Velocity points.
Do you get Status Credits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.