Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic (VS) Flying Club points redemptions on ANA (NH) - Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by SuperEWR
The availability was probably an accident on NH's part, NH almost never make 4-6 F seats available as awards.

If NH now demands more cash from VS for an award redemption, VS needs to charge more miles to make it profitable to them. Even at whatever historical reimbursement levels are, VS probably wasn't making much if any money on NH F awards given how low the mileage rates were, but historically very few F awards would have been booked so they may have just ignored it / missed it. When your entire call center is backed up with multi-hour holds for people looking to book NH F awards, you might revisit whether such a sweet spot award redemption is something you want to offer. If I had to guess, most people booking NH F through VS are not actually loyal VS flyers (in the sense of putting a lot of personal or corporate cash spend with the airline) but credit card points transfer flyers who rarely if ever pay cash fares on VS, so there's not much loss to them in terms of customer loyalty by losing that business (and the award redemptions by themselves likely weren't making any money)
I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. I just meant that the fact that NH might not be happy about the seats redeemed, well, that's not VS' fault. They can of course charge VS more for those same seats and then VS can in turn pass along the fee to the customer in the form of extra miles.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:30 pm

Edited : please ignore. My mobile browser hadnt updated to show that the devaluation was already mentioned upthread.

Last edited by Tofino87; Mar 7, 2023 at 5:10 pm Reason: Information already mentioned on thread - please delete
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. I just meant that the fact that NH might not be happy about the seats redeemed, well, that's not VS' fault. They can of course charge VS more for those same seats and then VS can in turn pass along the fee to the customer in the form of extra miles.
I don't think it's VS's fault either that there was so much availability by NH for the F cabin on certain routes, but the combination of the accidental high availability from NH and the long-standing sweet spot from VS highlighted to both VS and NH that they had this spot in their award chart where they were handing out F seats at cash fare equivalents that were too low for either of them to justify, which led to the deval. I would argue it's mostly NH's fault from accidentally releasing so many F award seats, combined with a bit of forums / blogs / Reddit that highlighted the availability to just about anyone who might be interested resulting in so many bookings that it highlighted the sweet spot to VS and NH
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:28 pm

Sad but unsurprising. Almost good in a way given how difficult it has become to score F awards. With J remaining level there may be less spillover since the delta up to F was so laughably minimal with the old chart.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:08 pm

Within the past two days, EF has alerted me 4-5 times about new J openings exactly 21 days out from departure for NRT>LAX and NRT>SFO. I released a couple of LAX seats for 3/29 a couple hours ago in case anyone wants to nab them and they are still available. Taxes/fees $437 USD/person.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 8:57 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by benwoohoo
Within the past two days, EF has alerted me 4-5 times about new J openings exactly 21 days out from departure for NRT>LAX and NRT>SFO. I released a couple of LAX seats for 3/29 a couple hours ago in case anyone wants to nab them and they are still available. Taxes/fees $437 USD/person.
$437 each way? Also why NRT and not HND?
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
$437 each way? Also why NRT and not HND?
Sorry, 431 in taxes/fees one way per person. Also just looked at my EF notifications; both HND and NRT J openings actually appeared so its not specific to one airport. I was going off of memory when I last commented and missed a few details. Would recommend anyone interested in these to set notifications for NRT/HND departures on each of the days that you can travel.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by msat
Aware that this is a VS-related thread for NH redemptions. However, having seen references throughout this thread to NH award redemptions via Aeroplan, I thought I would provide a data point for some last minute NH F redemption I was able to secure today.

Originally booked an itinerary on NH 111 (ORD-HND) in J. Last night I was tinkering around looking at award tickets and sure enough saw a F award seat available for the day after my scheduled departure. This morning, I proceeded to check every so often on the off chance a F seat would open up on my scheduled flight. Well, lo and behold one F seat popped up for my flight. Was able to change my itinerary and upgrade to F. All that to say, NH does appear to be releasing some F t-2/3 days out from departure. However, I am unsure if the same applies to VS flying club members. I was able to see it on UA's booking portal.
Thank you for sharing! I currently have my SO in a J award seat, but on a different flight, so I'm hopeful for some openings will open on my flight close in.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:57 am

had 95k points on virgin galatic. how much are they devalued now?
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:58 am

do you mean atlantic? J awards haven't changed, nor have econ. only F
Old Mar 10, 2023, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by mrfrancis
had 95k points on virgin galatic. how much are they devalued now?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/virgin...a-devaluation/

The first class ticket redemption has increased all across the board. The further you are, the most expensive it will cost. Though some of these travel sites still state that it's still better value than other programs despite the increase. I was thinking of just signing up for one of those award alert websites as it's too tedious to check everyday. I know people here use expertflyer.com. There was a paid one I saw yesterday but I haven't used it myself. Does anyone know if Thrifytravler premium is worth the cost?

https://thriftytraveler.com/premium/
Old Mar 12, 2023, 2:02 pm

Was expecting this to happen eventually since its such a sweet spot. Sucks that its sudden devaluation.
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
do you mean atlantic? J awards haven't changed, nor have econ. only F
yeah, sorry mobile typo. but i see. been a while since i've checked haha
Old Mar 12, 2023, 11:32 pm

Data Point:

EF alert pinged me with an opening in F HNL-NRT (a388) a day prior to my current return (77w), which works better for me.
Called in and the rep assured me 2x that there would be no extra fees/miles/etc. other than the $50 admin fee for the change.
Put it through and they had trouble getting it to "reissue" so they had to send it off to some other dept. high priority to get the admin fee finalized but assured me it will not be a problem. Both VS and NH already reflect the new date and I was able to reselect my seat on NH's site.

So I guess good news that existing F reservations aren't requiring more miles to shift dates? (maybe this was expected but I was worried it might fall under the new price)
CosmicGirl likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:11 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by pesos
Data Point:

EF alert pinged me with an opening in F HNL-NRT (a388) a day prior to my current return (77w), which works better for me.
Called in and the rep assured me 2x that there would be no extra fees/miles/etc. other than the $50 admin fee for the change.
Put it through and they had trouble getting it to "reissue" so they had to send it off to some other dept. high priority to get the admin fee finalized but assured me it will not be a problem. Both VS and NH already reflect the new date and I was able to reselect my seat on NH's site.

So I guess good news that existing F reservations aren't requiring more miles to shift dates? (maybe this was expected but I was worried it might fall under the new price)
I have mine booked from Sydney to New York, SYD- HND in the economy, and from Tokyo, its in F, does anyone know if I change the origin to BKK or CGK, but keep the destination and the last sector(in F),
and the same date will I have to pay as per the new award chart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.