Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tier points on reward flight bookings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Tier points on reward flight bookings

How does this work? I took a flight recently in Upper, it was booked by my wife on reward points and shows up as a redemption in her Flying Club account.

She hasn't had tier points credited to her account, and neither have I.

Who should they be given to, and how do we claim them?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by Okrib
How does this work? I took a flight recently in Upper, it was booked by my wife on reward points and shows up as a redemption in her Flying Club account.

She hasn't had tier points credited to her account, and neither have I.

Who should they be given to, and how do we claim them?
As long as you had your Flying Club number on the booking, then the 100 tier points (for G bucket fare) should credit to your account.
BUT ...
My impression from speaking to an agent the other day is that the IT functionality, for this relatively recent change to Virgin giving tier points on reward flights, is either flakey or not yet implemented. As such, the agent indicated I could make a claim after the flight (that I was booking).
I'd therefore think you'll need to phone in and hope you get a good agent who will know the process to set up a manual crediting.

I wonder if the IT is being upgraded to sort this? Or is this going to permanently need a call-in for manual crediting?

Anyone have a datapoint of reward flight tier points crediting automatically?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Did you have YOUR flying club numnber in the booking? Points get awareded to the person who flew not the person who paid.

Have you tried doing a missing points claim?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Did you have YOUR flying club numnber in the booking? Points get awareded to the person who flew not the person who paid.

Have you tried doing a missing points claim?
So I can locate the booking in Flying Club when I login and provide ticket reference and name, but it won't let me claim points (not that I can or want to as it was a reward flight) and there's no option to claim tier points online.

Looks like it's a phone call!
Old Nov 11, 2021, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Update to this - finally spoke to someone at Virgin, who could see the booking, could see it was linked to my name, Flying Club number etc but still was unable to add the tier points.

So I've now had to send an email explaining it all to a specific email address that should hopefully resolve it.

200 Tier points is half way to Silver so not something I'm going to give up on!
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:18 am

Is it TP’s for all award flights or P.Econo / Upper only?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Is it TP’s for all award flights or P.Econo / Upper only?
I believe it is for all flights
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Okrib
Update to this - finally spoke to someone at Virgin, who could see the booking, could see it was linked to my name, Flying Club number etc but still was unable to add the tier points.

So I've now had to send an email explaining it all to a specific email address that should hopefully resolve it.

200 Tier points is half way to Silver so not something I'm going to give up on!
Could they not resolve over the phone or at least raise a claim request at their end?

On a different note, any suggestions on the best time to call to avoid the dreadful hold time?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Could they not resolve over the phone or at least raise a claim request at their end?

On a different note, any suggestions on the best time to call to avoid the dreadful hold time?
Opening time / early on. Usually through within a few mins around 8am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.