Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status / Tier Points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Status / Tier Points

Currently qualified as silver with a anniversary date of 31st March. I have 100 tier points from a flight to JFK in August 2019 so need a further 300 points to re-qualify. Considering a tier point run KLM/AF but not sure on my exact strategy.
I assume I need to complete a run of 300 tier points for Silver or 500 tier points for Gold before the 31st March due to my current balance of 100 points?
If I do nothing before 31st March do my tier points reset to 0 (i.e. I lose my 100 tier points from last August) or do they carry over until August so I need 300 points for Silver or 900 points for Gold before August?

Looks like some interesting tier points runs are possible so may attempt a push for Gold.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:57 am

Tier points reset to 0 after your anniversary date and do not roll over like miles do. So if you do a mileage run and manage to get the required tier points to renew silver you'll still need to earn a silver's worth of tier points again the following year (though you'll be silver while doing it) in order to keep your silver status for the following year.
Gold is 1000 tier points, not 500...unless something has changed?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Tier points reset to 0 after your anniversary date and do not roll over like miles do. So if you do a mileage run and manage to get the required tier points to renew silver you'll still need to earn a silver's worth of tier points again the following year (though you'll be silver while doing it) in order to keep your silver status for the following year.
Gold is 1000 tier points, not 500...unless something has changed?
Admittedly I'm not a Silver member to know for sure...

But once you drop from Silver to Red, wouldn't the system automatically look backwards for 12 months to see whether you have any Tier Points? In which case those 100 TPs from August could still be valid until August 2020 as part of Red member's qualification for Silver or Gold?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Admittedly I'm not a Silver member to know for sure...

But once you drop from Silver to Red, wouldn't the system automatically look backwards for 12 months to see whether you have any Tier Points? In which case those 100 TPs from August could still be valid until August 2020 as part of Red member's qualification for Silver or Gold?
Yes, I believe that's how it works - VS use a rolling 12 months rather than a fixed 12 months like BA

I had Silver that ran out last November. My anniversary was previously different but I don't remember when it was exactly.

I had 375 tier points between June and November, so I dropped down to red. I now still have the 375 tier points, and as far as I know it moves to a rolling 12 months, so I'm expecting them to drop off in June.
munch2001 and craigthemif like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks for your help. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Current status: Silver which ends 31st March. Current Tier points 100 earn't Aug 2019

I would need 300 Tier points before 31st March to remain silver or 500 tier points to achieve gold?
If after the 31st March I would drop to red but with a balance of 100 tier points until Aug so would need 300 points for silver and 900 points to achieve gold?
After Aug I would have no balance so would need 400 points for silver and 1000 points to achieve gold?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:21 pm

That's correct as far as Silver is concerned I believe (it should be the same as my situation) - I'll admit I'm not entirely sure how Gold works with VS, whether it's 400+1000 or 400 + 600.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
does your account not tell you how many TPs you need?

You still need 1000 points within a rolling 12 month period to get to get gold.

Not sure where you are getting 500 from.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Theirin
That's correct as far as Silver is concerned I believe (it should be the same as my situation) - I'll admit I'm not entirely sure how Gold works with VS, whether it's 400+1000 or 400 + 600.
1000 in total as long as they are in the last 12 rolling 12 month period of course.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by munch2001
Ok thanks for your help. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Current status: Silver which ends 31st March. Current Tier points 100 earn't Aug 2019

I would need 300 Tier points before 31st March to remain silver or 500 tier points to achieve gold?
If after the 31st March I would drop to red but with a balance of 100 tier points until Aug so would need 300 points for silver and 900 points to achieve gold?
After Aug I would have no balance so would need 400 points for silver and 1000 points to achieve gold?
It depends on how/when you became a Silver member.

At some point you earned 400 TPs to become Silver. The date of that first TP matters. Then you have 12 months to get to 1000 TPs for Gold (IIRC you don't have to stop at Silver or start over once Silver). Since you earned 100 TPs in August you could be 500 TPs short. (or those initial 400 TPs are too old to count)

You can definitely earn 300 TPs before the end of March to re-qualify for Silver. Alternatively you could do 300 TPs between April and August to "qualify" for Silver, as if it were the first time. That would seem to make more sense since you'd get 12 months from the point of hitting 400 TPs again.
munch2001 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

It depends on how/when you became a Silver member.

At some point you earned 400 TPs to become Silver. The date of that first TP matters. Then you have 12 months to get to 1000 TPs for Gold. Since you earned 100 TPs in August you could be 500 TPs short. (or those initial 400 TPs are gone)

You can definitely earn 300 TPs before the end of March to re-qualify for Silver. Alternatively you could do 300 TPs between April and August to "qualify" for Silver, as if it were the first time. That would seem to make more sense since you'd get 12 months from the point of hitting 400 TPs again.
Great now I understand. I earn't the 400 Tier points in March so will need to be quick to achieve the 500 points for Gold.
Probably going to wait, drop to red and use my 100 tier point balance between now and Aug.
I'm visiting Scotland early August so looking at ABZ - CDG - NCE in business (J, D or C) for 800 points or ABZ - CDG - AMS - TRD for 880 points. I will complete a couple of short flights with work to tip me over the 1000 points.
It will great to use my balance of points and credit card 2 for 1 certificates as a Gold on upper class flights. Plus the lounge access as gold on KLM work flights.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by munch2001
I'm visiting Scotland early August so looking at ABZ - CDG - NCE in business (J, D or C) for 800 points or ABZ - CDG - AMS - TRD for 880 points. I will complete a couple of short flights with work to tip me over the 1000 points.

CDG-NCE is definitely not >600 miles and ABZ-CDG is right on 600 (but VS could easily fudge that to 599), so you might not get nearly as many TPs as you think with that routing...
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:56 am
Original Poster

CDG-NCE is definitely not >600 miles and ABZ-CDG is right on 600 (but VS could easily fudge that to 599), so you might not get nearly as many TPs as you think with that routing...
Oops newbie error maybe ABZ - CDG - MAD to push over the 600 miles.
How do I confirm how Virgin treat ABZ - CDG? Is it over 600 miles?
When I check a points redemption on Virgin, ABZ - CDG requires 7500 points which is classed over 600 miles in the spend chart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.