Wiki Posts
Search

Spending Flying Club Miles on AF-KLM

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by britinva79
Looks like VS doesn't have the same access to the space as AF/KLM. Found space through ExpertFlyer and on AF/KLM but cannot book on VS site. Also what is odd is that if I search for IAD-CDG and CDG-NCE flights were available but not when searching IAD-NCE. Agent on the phone noted there must be a bug in the system somewhere as they should be able to sell the ticket as one and not charge two separate awards.
KLM Is notorious for Married segments. I am guessing this is one of them.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:06 pm

UK - Japan

Has anyone else attempted to book any award flights from UK to Japan? I keep getting told by Virgin that they don’t sell this KLM route but I had thought all KLM flights could now be redeemed on Virgin Atlantic Miles? Thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:56 pm

Virgin avilibility and virgin voucher

Hi guys, I agree with the avilibility being limited through virgin miles onto AF / KL. Raffles mentioned to me that the avilibility should be the same for virgin as for all other skyteam partners - any idea how this works for other members outside of FB? Is there a rule as to when they do and dont release seats?

Secondly, for the virgin upgrade / upgrade voucher, can this be used in combination with a flight departing cdg / ams via london to avoid APD?

Thank you!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, SPG, IHC: Plat Ambasador
Wanted to spend VS miles taking the family on an trip via AF metal SFO->CDG, but the FC phone folks couldn't find a single flight with more than one open business class seat. Sounds like this isn't as reciprocal as advertised.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by alexr_ft
Wanted to spend VS miles taking the family on an trip via AF metal SFO->CDG, but the FC phone folks couldn't find a single flight with more than one open business class seat. Sounds like this isn't as reciprocal as advertised.
Completely agree. The route I’ve checked, when looked at on Delta’s website has plenty of reward availability but nothing coming up on Virgin’s website.

It has been advertised as opening Virgin up to pretty much anywhere in the World but in reality, it falls far, far short of this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: FB Gold
In my opinion most sweet spots are in economy, out of zone 1, taking in consideration cash fare and miles value.

E.g Zone 5: Paris-Male in Y, 15k, 150 euros in taxes using VS miles compared to 29k, 80 euros using FB miles. Taxes may be higher but are worth it to some extent as 70 euros/14000 miles= 0.005 euros/mile so it's a very low value.
Zone 8 South America in Y, 17k, similar tax scheme.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Steveng8
Completely agree. The route I’ve checked, when looked at on Delta’s website has plenty of reward availability but nothing coming up on Virgin’s website.

It has been advertised as opening Virgin up to pretty much anywhere in the World but in reality, it falls far, far short of this.
Will be interesting to work out a % or ratio of what seats availability is open to FC vs SkyTeam members.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Will be interesting to work out a % or ratio of what seats availability is open to FC vs SkyTeam members.
I’ve just picked a random date from UK to Japan. Comes up with 9 reward seats available on Delta’s website and comes up with 0 results when searched on Virgin.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I’ve just picked a random date from UK to Japan. Comes up with 9 reward seats available on Delta’s website and comes up with 0 results when searched on Virgin.
There is a specific issue with the Japan routes, Virgin told me. They said it was IT but it may be a contractual issue with ANA.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
There is a specific issue with the Japan routes, Virgin told me. They said it was IT but it may be a contractual issue with ANA.
Looked again last night and Japanese destinations seem to be slowly being added to the list and was able to find at least some availability. Most of them still showing 0 results.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:13 am

Looked again last night and Japanese destinations seem to be slowly being added to the list and was able to find at least some availability. Most of them still showing 0 results.
Hopefully that will improve, otherwise it’s not much of a partnership. Will optimistically put it down to early teething issues :-|
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Hopefully that will improve, otherwise it’s not much of a partnership. Will optimistically put it down to early teething issues :-|
Actually scrap what I said, it is only Nagoya that is bookable but upon further inspection this is flying via Detriot with Delta.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:41 am

i am trying to book Manchester to Amsterdam in December when i get all the way through to inputting my credit card details then it says seats gone
no matter which seat/dates i try
anyone any ideas?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 1:25 pm

Just called virgin and found out 2 things:

They removed the ability to book premium economy for af and kl on the 17th of feb - so you can only book economy and biz for now

You can use your credit card voucher with a flight arriving into london so you can get around the APD taxes
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Beverlion
You can use your credit card voucher with a flight arriving into london so you can get around the APD taxes
Could you elaborate please? These CC vouchers can’t be used on AF-KLM can they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.