Wiki Posts
Search

Spending Flying Club Miles on AF-KLM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Sky Club
Spending Flying Club Miles on AF-KLM

Does anyone know when we will be able to spend our flying club miles on AF-KLM? I'm looking at booking next year's holiday and am hoping I can save on the surcharges by using them out of Europe/ go somewhere outside of Virgin's route network.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Why AF? You'd still have hefty surcharges to pay in all likelihood. Yes you save APD, but it is easy to spend the savings just in positioning flights/accommodation

Why not any of the other partners offered by VS?
Old Oct 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
APD alone is not justification for an ex-EU, even in business class.

In reality it is the combination of a significantly lower base fare, combined with the APD saving which makes the all-in fare saving worth the risk, hassle and positioning costs
Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: SAA Voyager, VAA Flying Club, IHG
Most likely next year before they launch AFKL rewards. Been heavily delayed due to VGLC divesture and then because DL soon go in a quite period while they wrap up the year. Very, very surprised if anything is launched this year.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by RedRooibos
Most likely next year before they launch AFKL rewards. Been heavily delayed due to VGLC divesture and then because DL soon go in a quite period while they wrap up the year. Very, very surprised if anything is launched this year.
Yes, it is continually slipping. I was told September (in July), then November (in September) - not sure where it is now. I saw Oli Byers the other week at the Flybe management conference and he was non-committal.

VGLC official launch in next March so it may end up going along with that I suppose.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:08 am

Looks like they've settled on next Thursday: https://corporate.virginatlantic.com...-launched.html
Jma12 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Looks like they've settled on next Thursday: https://corporate.virginatlantic.com...-launched.html
Oh good, now I can avoid APD by connecting KL/AF
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jma12
Oh good, now I can avoid APD by connecting KL/AF
The real devil here is YQ/YR. Your wallet will appreciate avoiding that even more...
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by A321neo
The real devil here is YQ/YR. Your wallet will appreciate avoiding that even more...
The ones charged by VS aren't exactly less.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Just looked at some of the routes, HKG-AMS cost 112k in J, and most intra cost 4k in Y and 8 to 10k in J.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA
Somewhat related, SFO-LHR Upper booked via KLM, 72K plus $200 taxes. 5500 less miles and $4-500 less than booking with Virgin.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Very good overview here https://www.headforpoints.com/
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:16 am

Have any particular ‘sweet spots’ need identified yet? I’m guessing they are likely to be with KLM rather than AF. Jamaica and N.Africa seem the obvious ones thus far.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:59 am

Looks like VS doesn't have the same access to the space as AF/KLM. Found space through ExpertFlyer and on AF/KLM but cannot book on VS site. Also what is odd is that if I search for IAD-CDG and CDG-NCE flights were available but not when searching IAD-NCE. Agent on the phone noted there must be a bug in the system somewhere as they should be able to sell the ticket as one and not charge two separate awards.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:46 pm

Early teething problems, hopefully

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.