Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New VAA UK credit cards released!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by TangoFive
I applied for one of these cards a few weeks ago, and was declined.

My credit rating is fine in regards to no missed payments/defaults etc, but they may not have liked that I only moved into my rental less than a year ago, and I have 10 credit searches in the past year and 5 new accounts.

It's a shame as I was hoping to get away from Avios and using my Lloyds AMEX (which is closing soon). I guess I'll use the AMEX Gold card, wait 6 months and try again with VA.
My OH was declined. He has an excellent credit record. Virgin emailed him to say they needed more information, and he should ring them. He rang, and spoke to someone who eventually said they were unable to find out what was needed, and that she couldn't find anyone to refer him to. She promised someone would ring him back. No-one contacted him so he emailed asking what information they needed. He got no reply to that, but then on Dec 15th (the day after the offer expired) received an email saying he'd been declined. I suspect he's had enough of the substandard service and won't take it any further,
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by ttama
My OH was declined. He has an excellent credit record. Virgin emailed him to say they needed more information, and he should ring them. He rang, and spoke to someone who eventually said they were unable to find out what was needed, and that she couldn't find anyone to refer him to. She promised someone would ring him back. No-one contacted him so he emailed asking what information they needed. He got no reply to that, but then on Dec 15th (the day after the offer expired) received an email saying he'd been declined. I suspect he's had enough of the substandard service and won't take it any further,
Weirdly, he got another email today asking him to phone to provide more information. We discussed whether it was worth going through the loop again, and in the end, as we have some high spend coming up, he decided to try again. But got the same result; although it was during normal office hours, no-one was available today to discuss whatever it is they need to know.

Now we're waiting to see if he gets another automatic rejection ......
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
Originally Posted by travellingwigbury
From a brief exchange with the VM Twitter team, they’re working on an app which should be available by the end of the year (finally!).

Will let you know if I hear any more.
And here we are in January....
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:23 am

It's okay, they may not have finished the app but they did remember to send an email encouraging people to use the credit card overseas, with only a 2.99% transaction fee!
Silver Fox and dougzz like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Theirin
It's okay, they may not have finished the app but they did remember to send an email encouraging people to use the credit card overseas, with only a 2.99% transaction fee!
I had a good chuckle at that this morning. What makes them think 1.5 FC miles are worth 3p.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:13 am
inY

Any experience short cycling with this card? I've done 2x credit limit and haven't been shut down yet. Wondering how far to push it though.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:29 am

They gave me a high enough credit limit that I've had no need to, especially combined with my other cards. However, given people's experiences in this thread with VM customer support and other issues, I would be conservative if I were you!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Member

Well my email said that the foreign exchange fees would be refunded!

Heading off for some fun in the winter sun? We have an exclusive offer to keep you earning Flying Club miles overseas, without paying any fees.

If you're going away between 1 January and 30 April 2019, you won't have to pay foreign exchange fees on card purchases. Not a penny. We'll simply refund any foreign exchange fees you're charged while you're away. So you can use your card to earn miles abroad just like you do at home.

Plus, we'll also refund any foreign exchange fees you're charged for using your card to take money out of cash machines abroad, which is handy.* Just remember, you'll still be charged the standard 5% cash advance fee if you do decide to withdraw cash abroad.

You'll see the foreign exchange fees appear on your credit card statement but you'll also see the refund - no more than five days later.

This isn’t open to everyone – just selected customers we’re emailing. That means you. So squeeze as many miles out of it as you can, while you can. Terms apply.**
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:26 pm

I wonder what the criteria is to be selected for the no foreign transaction fees offer. Sad to say that my satisfaction level with this card isn't particularly great - I'll definitely be downgrading to the free card at the end of my year.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:18 am

Do you pay extra taxes when you use the voucher to upgrade from economy to premium?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by munch2001
Do you pay extra taxes when you use the voucher to upgrade from economy to premium?
I haven't done this yet, however my understanding is that you pay Premium Economy taxes and fees.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:02 am

The App is here! Finally I'm so tired of logging in to that site.
ttama likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:09 am

The App is here! Finally I'm so tired of logging in to that site.
Have you installed it yet? I've tried to search for it on Google Play but I'm not sure which app it is.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ttama
Have you installed it yet? I've tried to search for it on Google Play but I'm not sure which app it is.
It should be this one

ttama likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:41 am

It should be this one

Thanks. Have you managed to get it working without having to enter your DOB by scrolling back through a calendar month by month? It's a bit tiresome for someone my age.

eta, I've worked it out now!

eta again: I'm not allowed to use it as I'm not the primary cardholder. Fail.

Last edited by ttama; Feb 21, 2019 at 7:44 am Reason: brain fade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.