Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 x UC Reward seats LHR > JNB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Planning a family holiday in 2014 and would like to book us all in UC outbound. How realistic is that I might get 5 UC reward seats? How many do they allocate? Am I being realistic? When the time comes will they be released at midnight? Any tips to secure them?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Wow! 5 x UC reward seats on any route, save possibly NRT. is really pushing it. I would say that you would be VERY lucky to get more than two on the same flight, but then I am not overly familiar with the JNB route.

Reward seats can be released any time from the T-330 day mark. T VS used to release a fair few at this point, but recently the release of reward seats is far more unpredictable. I know from personal experience that sometimes when a reward seat is booked, another can be released the next day, but that is far from guaranteed.

As for time of day, again this is unpredictable.

Good luck with your quest, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be too optimistic of your chances of success.

Nick
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:20 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Gold, Amex Centurion
I once booked 4 x UC to JNB using miles but that was about 2006 time
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
One plan is to see how many you can get in UC and PE - then constantly monitor UC to see if you can add more miles to upgrade the PE seats. It costs no more, and offers a back up plan. As Nick says, 5 redemptions in UC on any route on one booking is as rare as a hen's tooth.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Member

from my experience, 4 seats appears to be the typical limit. You can off course play with dummy bookings to look for patterns. It also depends on the time if year that you are looking for.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
5 x UC reward seats on any route, save possibly NRT. is really pushing it.
Is NRT a known route for better availability? Any reasons why? When I finally get enough miles my aim is for 4 on that route (or HND if they no longer fly to NRT).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Appreciate your thoughts! I guess we will plan fo the worst and hope for the best!!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:26 pm

We are off to DC next month, and booked PE for us (family of 4) and kept my eyes open for UC seats, finally last month they became available so I booked them. My advice would be to book PE and just keep your eyes open for UC.

HTH.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by ankomonkey
Is NRT a known route for better availability? Any reasons why? When I finally get enough miles my aim is for 4 on that route (or HND if they no longer fly to NRT).
I don't know why, or even if it still holds true, but historically there have been multiple G's to be had on that route.

Nick
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

So if I were to book some PE, is the uplift to UC the difference between the reward amounts as advertised? Do I just get call up and get Virgin to make the change if they become available?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Fwiw, I.ve previously booked 7 x UC LHR to DEL in 2007 all on miles. Also booked 5 x UC GTW to LAS in 2011 all Y to G upgrades...which I think was a fluke.

In general, better chance on Aircraft with larger UC cabins. Not sure what they fly to JNB, but LAS only 14 seats so chances always less.

Edit: LGW, not GTW!

Last edited by camille55; Jul 17, 2013 at 5:19 pm Reason: Error typing
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:08 am

I got 4 uc to new York- flying out next week which is 1st day of the school holidays and back 2 weeks later. Got 3 to Boston last month- there were 4 available. I could have had 4 uc to Japan but chose new York.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.