Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Has anybody actually received the miles-earning Virgin credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR

I haven't.

Remember we were told we could take out a points earning card and convert to the miles-earning card when it was launched? Well, that's what I tried to do.

I found out they (MBNA) wanted a new application, apparently because of different terms and conditions. This I did over the phone and the signature form arrived with the promise that the card was ready. The signed form went back nearly three weeks ago, since when nothing - other than the cancellation of the points-earning card.

Presumably it's MBNA who are the problem.
Old Dec 7, 2002, 10:13 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Roger

I am in a similar position, except that they didn't cancel my other Virgin card. They merely cut the credit limit by about two thirds, this doesn't cause me a problem - other that I want to do some Christmas shopping on my new card so that I can get the companion ticket and the points sooner.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nottingham Nick (edited 12-07-2002).]
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have just signed the form MBNA sent back today so will be waiting!! ( Reduction in credit limit also)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I called MBNA/Virgin on Monday. Apparently they had received my signed form on November 22nd and an unsigned form on November 27th, and needed to review the situation. Er, excuse me, I only sent one Virgin form, and that was definitely signed!

Anyway, they OK'd everything (having already OK'd it before ) and promised delivery 'in 7-10 days'. It's always 7-10 days!

Oh, I will need to contact Virgin after activation to try and sort out the transfer of those points I didn't want any way to miles. Is this necessary? Isn't there a smoother system?
Old Dec 13, 2002, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3 *G
I'm also having problems with MBNA.

I applied online for the Flying Club card with the 80 fee, eventually the credit agreement appeared for me to sign for the no-fee card.

Called MBNA, was passed around for over an hour through various departments (amazingly I spoke to 10 different people in the process). They admitted the error and promised to immediately send the correct form to sign.

Almost a week later the paperwork turns up and it's the wrong one again!!! I call MBNA and they promise to look into the problem and call me back.

Of course they don't call me back, so I have to chase again. They've now promised that'll receive the correct documentation recorded delivery tomorrow.

All very poor customer service!

Richard

------------------
Virgin Flying Club Gold, Eurostar Gold, United Silver, Six Continents Gold

[This message has been edited by rharrisuk (edited 12-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by rharrisuk (edited 12-13-2002).]
Old Dec 13, 2002, 8:57 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
I applied mid november, online, got nothing so far. I checked my credit rating, and MBNA had done the search a few weeks ago. Called MBNA last week - after a search for a contact number, they are very behind target in issuing cards - think of all the xmas spending they are missing.

Needless to say Amex have taken 2 months on the VS Gold Amex Card offer as well.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 11:20 am

My card arrived this morning - it is identical to my current Virgin card, there is no documentation with it that relates to the airline or the points system.
I had to confirm with MBNA when I activated it that it was a Virgin Atlantic card - I was assured it was - we will wait and see.
I would be interested if anyone gets anything different.

Nick
Old Dec 14, 2002, 1:17 pm

Further to above - 'The essential guide for Flying Club members' arrived this morning.
It doesn't tell me much I didn't already know, except that I know I have the right sort of card.

Nick
Old Dec 14, 2002, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Congratulations, Nick!

Did you keep your old card, i.e. ending up with a points card AND a miles card? If so, I wonder if this is why your limit was lower on the new card. Maybe cancel the old one for an increased limit?

There's a story in today's Independent newspaper. Apparently MBNA are offering 'existing cardholders who transfer to its Virgin card' up to 90% of their limit for up to six month as an interest-free deposit to their bank account. The article points out that 10,000 invested for 6 months at 4% interest could earn 200 before tax. No link, details on 0800 062 062.

Now, let me see - 200 would be more than two years' fee for the double mileage card ...
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Roger:
they ... promised delivery 'in 7-10 days'. It's always 7-10 days!</font>
... and on the 9th day, lo and behold, the new card.

Now to transfer the points to miles, apparently through the VFC desk.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rharrisuk:

I applied online for the Flying Club card with the 80 fee, eventually the credit agreement appeared for me to sign for the no-fee card.
</font>
Exactly the same thing happened to me. The call centre person behaved as if I was an idiot so i told her to forget about it.
It doesn't exactly fill me with confidence if they can't even get their application process right !

Very annoying - I actually thought it was quite a good deal
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Roger:
Now to transfer the points to miles, apparently through the VFC desk.</font>
Not so. VFC didn't know anything about this, but a very helpful lady did some digging, and the position is this. It has to be done via the Virgin Members' Shop on 0845 610 2000, giving old and new credit card numbers and VFC membership number.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:26 pm

Had an interesting call from MBNA - they told me there's been some major problems with processing of applications for the card with the 80 fee. They told me that in many cases the wrong credit agreement was sent out for signature. If you applied, check the terms and conditions you signed, you may find they've set you up with the wrong account.

In my case, they've agreed to waive the 80 fee for the first year while they try and sort the mess out.

Still no sign of the actual card though!

------------------
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:40 am

RHarrisUK and others

Many thanks for the heads up.

I rang and you are spot on - I have the same problem.

They have promised to sort it out, but the girl I spoke to said it was the first she has heard of the error.

Do you know who you spoke to to get the admission of the problem and the promise of the fee free year?

I have been told I will get a call tomorrow to let me know what they are doing about it.

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nottingham Nick (edited 12-19-2002).]
Old Dec 22, 2002, 4:23 am

Jamie on the 'Analyst team' at MBNA offered to waive the fee. Not sure that this is a blanket offer (I really had been messed around), but it's worth asking!

Richard

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.