Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Has anybody actually received the miles-earning Virgin credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anybody actually received the miles-earning Virgin credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2002, 5:19 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Richard

Thanks for that - needless to say, I haven't heard back from MBNA and I have been too busy to chase them up - they will get a call tomorrow though!

It seems to me, that this is yet another good Virgin idea mishandled by the people charged with making it work. I will say ,in their defence, that it is still very early days for the card and I do think it will be worthwhile in the long term. Especially if they improve it as they go along - and this is certainly the impression I have been given in my limited dealings with MBNA.

I have written a long, very critical, letter to Amex dumping the Plat card on the strength of the new VS card - I hope that wasn't premature ;-)
Old Dec 23, 2002, 5:37 am

Absolutely hopeless people at MBNA - I realised that my signature form, too, was for the fee-free card. Rang them up and they truly didn't have a clue what I was talking about and then put me on to possibly the slowest person imaginable, who insisted on going through all the details of my application again - I already have an MBNA card with a sizeable limit, so it's hardly an issue, but there we go.
Old Dec 30, 2002, 8:53 am

Anyone been offered a 0% (for 6 months) cash advance with this card up to credit limit?

Also, currently on the 'phone to MBNA/Virgin - apparently, no knowledge of any problems/issues with previous applications...

[This message has been edited by influential (edited 12-30-2002).]
Old Dec 30, 2002, 12:59 pm

Have been contacted a couple of times in past few days by MBNA / Virgin CC. I have fast come to the conclusion that it makes a huge difference if you talk to someone who knows their product
It turns out thay in my case, I had the fee (double points) card after all and everything is sorted out. All of my points from the other Virgin card will be transferred to my new one and into my FC account early in the New Year (or so I am promised) We will wait and see.

In the mean time I have been contacted by Plat Amex who have tried to get me to reconsider ditching their card. After a few attempted sweeteners they have accepted that the Virgin Atlantic card is by far a better deal for me and is a good product. The caller also conceded that a lot of custom was lost after the Clubhouse perk was withdrawn by Amex.

Nick
Old Dec 30, 2002, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3 *G
I've now had a letter from the 'Head of Strategic Partnerships' at MBNA, confirming that they have experienced a problem with processing of these cards.

I've now had 3 sets of incorrect terms & conditions to sign. Still no sign of a correct version or my card!!

While they've agreed to waive the 80 fee, it would be nice to finally receive the card!

Richard

------------------
Virgin Flying Club Gold, Eurostar Gold, United Silver, Six Continents Gold

[This message has been edited by rharrisuk (edited 12-30-2002).]
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:14 am

Well after receiving 5 (!) different sets of terms & conditions and 3 cards, MBNA finally managed to issue the correct Virgin flying club credit card to me.

I put a compliant in writing to MBNA three times before they finally replied and started resolving all their mistakes.

Partly due to frustration I also wrote to the flying club to alert them and ended up with a call from 'Richard Branson's Office'.It appears there has been numerous problems with the MBNA relationship and an 'emergency meeting' had been called to fix the problems.

Virgin handled the situation extremely well and offered a handsome number of miles to apologise - which is generous given it wasn't their fault.

Anyway, if you are still having problems with MBNA you might want to highlight them to the flying club.

Richard

------------------
Virgin Flying Club Gold, Eurostar Gold, United Silver, Six Continents Gold
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:56 am

re: my post 30th December, haven't heard a word from MBNA since, having applied over the 'phone. Not sure whether they've simply lost the application or it's just a simple delay.

I could really do with x0,000GBP of interest-free cash for 6 months too...

[This message has been edited by influential (edited 01-31-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 2003, 7:07 am

Update - HOHOHO, they've no record of my application. Start all over again, will you....
Old Jan 31, 2003, 8:49 am

Based upon my experience that's quite normal. The number of times they've lost my personal information is quite amazing.

Hopefully you'll get there in the end!

Richard

Old Feb 2, 2003, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I got mine around two week ago and waiting for the 4K bonus miles for first use to post.

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 3, 2003, 10:15 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Well I applied in November (i think) and have had nothing at all. Any one got a direct number to call to chase up ?
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:19 am

I have always used the freephone number 0800 015 0306. I have found all the call takers to be pleasant - but only a few of them seem to know what they are talking about. There is a general lack of knowledge about the product - especially the fee paying card.
Having said that - every now and again you find someone who knows what they are talking about and I think I am now sorted.
I am just waiting for a large number of promised miles to post

Nick
Old Feb 3, 2003, 11:27 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Gents,

Does anyone know if this might be valid in Rep of Ireland ?

They're not normally, so just hoping ....

Thanks,

John P.
Old Feb 9, 2003, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Well, something's happening at long last.

I have my opening bonus on my VFC account. No miles yet from November use, nor from the original points converted into miles. They now say 'after 17 February' for those.

It's all so terribly slow.
Old Feb 9, 2003, 1:50 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
By chance my form for signing arrived this weekend. Hope the card gets here before Feb 28 - wouldnt want to miss 4,000 bonus miles. I am considering shifting all my business expenses from Amex to this card given the 2 for 1 redemption ratio, but if customer service is as bad as you all say, well..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.