Wiki Posts
Search

Glasgow - orlando 747 question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM silver elite, Hilton Platinum
Glasgow - orlando 747 question

Had a look but can find anything really relating to this. Can u help??

Looking at booking PE from GLA-MCO in June. Problem is I can't find any info on whether 747 has new or old PE. For the price VS is asking if its old PE it's not worth it. IF its new PE its quite reasonable. Can anybody help me or point me in the right direction?? Many thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The GLA flights use the LGW/MAN fleet, so will have the old PE and the old IFE, either Nova or Odyssey.

Nick
Old Feb 24, 2010, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The one advantage to the old fleet IMHO is that the PE is on the UD. While the seating isn't as good, it makes for a very nice, quiet, private environment.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM silver elite, Hilton Platinum
How is the old seat? Does it have the same dimentions? I know this sounds like a daft question but.. Will the service likely differ from London dept? Also am I right in saying that there is power in the old seat? Lastly I just heard that the LGW/MAN fleet are going to get the upgrade, that will bring them in line with the rest of the fleet, When could that be completed? or will it be during there maint. checks?

Last edited by ozbar; Feb 24, 2010 at 11:59 am
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
I actually prefer the old PE seat. I fly MAN-MCO a reasonable amount, though have done a few LHR-IAD runs, mostly in PE. The older seat is fabric, and seems a lot more comfortable to me than the iron-hard purple leather numbers on the newer configs.

Plus, the UD in "old" PE is a lot nicer.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Am I correct in understanding from Virgin website that they do not sell Upper Class on the MCO to GLA weekly service, only PE and Economy?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:26 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by gordondd9
Am I correct in understanding from Virgin website that they do not sell Upper Class on the MCO to GLA weekly service, only PE and Economy?
If it's operated by an A330 it will only have PE and Economy.

As for the OP's question, I've not flown on the LGW fleet but if the seats are similar to the old PE seats on the LHR fleet then it should be pretty comfortable. Someone else is probably more qualified to answer.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
The whole LGW/MAN fleet are getting a refit from April - October next year.

New JAM AVOD system/NEw Premium (like LHR)/Mood lighting throughout and new Y seats.

I believe the 330's are due to go back to LHR after the refits and get UPPER installed.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: their are many of them
so there is seriously a nonstop flight from GLA-MCO on a VS 747!!! wow i never knew that
Old Oct 27, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Yes, weekly in the summer....curiously the first row on the seat map is row 18 which suggested to me they had Upper Class but did not sell, slightly confusing.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:55 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
....I believe the 330's are due to go back to LHR after the refits and get UPPER installed.
Do you have a source for that information, please?

Nick
Old Oct 28, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
so there is seriously a nonstop flight from GLA-MCO on a VS 747!!! wow i never knew that
Indeed - it's quite the sight at GLA from the domestic pier, where you can look to your right and see Loganair Twin Otters and Saab S340s next to Aer Arran ATR 72s, then to your left and see a KL Fokker, the odd 757, and then a big VS 747!

I'm far from regular on VS, but FWIW, I prefer the old PE - clincher, as Jenbel suggests, is the UD.

Last edited by Scots_Al; Oct 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
Originally Posted by BA304
If it's operated by an A330 it will only have PE and Economy.

As for the OP's question, I've not flown on the LGW fleet but if the seats are similar to the old PE seats on the LHR fleet then it should be pretty comfortable. Someone else is probably more qualified to answer.
And when it is the 747, I don't see any Upper class being sold either. Does this mean that these aircraft also have no Upper class, or it's there but just not selling it?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Sean Bhalach
And when it is the 747, I don't see any Upper class being sold either. Does this mean that these aircraft also have no Upper class, or it's there but just not selling it?
The leisure fleet 747's have 14J seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.