Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Is $240 a good deal to upgrade MCS to F LAX-MCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is $240 a good deal to upgrade MCS to F LAX-MCO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The answer is no for you, and perhaps no for the OP. And perhaps you're more fond of the excellent leg rests and generous recline of the MCS seats, as well as the round or two of PDBs that you receive in MCS than I am. Perhaps not. I know I'm particularly fond of the VX MCS Exercise Program when I'm in Row 3, i.e., going to the rear of the plane to then wait in line for Number One, when there's a vacant lav that I can readily see.

If the cost is going to materially affect someone's budget, add to credit card debt, etc., then the cost is obviously not worth it. If $240 isn't going to materially affect the budget, then I'm all for a much more relaxing day.
vx F crew don't always impede MC / MCS clients from the F lav - YMMV... It's usually the MCS self-upgrading that gets stopped.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Well, i declined the fee for the LAX-MCO, but went ahead and paid the fee (same $240) for the return given that 1) it was a dinner flight and 2) MCO-LAX takes an hour longer than LAX-MCO

I appreciated all the responses.

I'd typically NOT pay a fee for an upgrade, but figured the meal would be worth (perhaps) $20 (which is was) and i had a few drinks (maybe another $30), so the cost for the bigger roomier seat was maybe $200

I'm a tall guy (6'2", so the extra legroom is worth it).

I was traveling for leisure, so no expensing the cost.

I will also add that there were no amenities (pillows? blanket? amenity kit?) that make things a bit nicer, I'm guessing to chalk that up to new management

In addition, i did complain about those issues, perhaps they will issue me a travel bank credit or some FF points
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I know you didn't enjoy some elements; how about the seat? Since you flew both segments in different classes, did you think the $300 was worth it? Esp the wider seat?
i like a wide seat.
Did you like the 8:1 service ratio?

Forgot to post - amenity Kit. Is it standard? I assumed amenity kit was only for California to NYC airports. I can't imagine a kit for SFO/BOS. I've had a pack of earplugs and a blindfold as a "kit" but that's nothing special or needed.

Last edited by gaobest; Dec 19, 2017 at 11:00 pm Reason: Kit
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by gaobest
I know you didn't enjoy some elements; how about the seat? Since you flew both segments in different classes, did you think the $300 was worth it? Esp the wider seat?
i like a wide seat.
Did you like the 8:1 service ratio?

Forgot to post - amenity Kit. Is it standard? I assumed amenity kit was only for California to NYC airports. I can't imagine a kit for SFO/BOS. I've had a pack of earplugs and a blindfold as a "kit" but that's nothing special or needed.
the seat was definitely more comfortable, although the footrest didnt quite function perfectly

the fee was $240, and after food and drink, it was probably more like $200.

i have gotten amenity kits for the LAX-MCO flight before, they're not all that great, but definitely a nice touch and make cool stocking stuffers
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
It would have been a good deal in the old days when VX ran the airline. Now there is inferior food product, seats are so old that you can see grime and foam showing, and for a transcon flight Alaska no longer boards blankets or pillows in first class. On my last 5 transcon flights including the one you are considering, only 1 out of 5 had a pillow. Alaska is trying to kill everything that attracted high revenue customers. And hello Alaska, yes, you are succeeding brilliantly and creating such a dislike for Alaska that there is little to no chance of my wanting to fly what remains of VX after full integration into the schlock of Alaska.

While harsh words for AS, I can say for certain that the people of AS on the front line are lovely and offer great service... I just don't see myself idiot enough to fly a really really crappy inferior premium flight experience if all I get are nice folks. The AS premium product has not evolved with the rest of the world and will not be attractive to anyone spending real money on premium flights for a long time.

I think its obvious that AS has decided not to compete with the market and as a LAX based customer who spends north of $100K annually, you've deliberately lost me.

Luckily I'm not an AS stock holder, but if I were I would be pushing for refreshing the misguided AS leadership team yesterday.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:01 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I couldn't feel more differently. On a red-eye, I'd want a lie-flat, which VX doesn't offer. On a day flight, especially a Westbound transcon, I want the room to spread out and work and feel comfortable for up to 6+ hours.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Exactly why VX F is a waste of money on anything but a red-eye. Ill say the same of B6 Mint and any other airline offering premium services on daytime flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.