Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Is $240 a good deal to upgrade MCS to F LAX-MCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

Wondering if I should pay that upgrade fee, as its a 5 hour flight.

Seems high to me
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by caseminole
Wondering if I should pay that upgrade fee, as its a 5 hour flight.

Seems high to me
Sounds like a bargain to me.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

It's the going rate. It's up to you to decide if it "seems high."

Is the MCS seat next you unassigned? Is it a lunch or dinner flight? Do you drink alcohol? These are questions that may inform your decision.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
11:30 am, so its a lunch flight

not sure if anyone is seated next to me MCS or not.

and i do drink alcohol, but not more than 3 or 4 on a single flight.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm Gold and SFO based but travel nationally for business. If I'm going to SEA/LA/SAN/DEN I'll usually just stick with MCS. However for ORD and JFK I'll usually pay the upgrade to F mainly because it's much more relaxing and you have more room to work. I consider the fee to be a bargain as well, especially since the flight is usually expensed to begin with.
ptownca likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
[Edited to fix my mistake] $240 for an F seat seems a little steep, even for a 5-hour flight. My over/under is maybe $100. The extra seat width is a big plus but otherwise not a huge upgrade from MCS.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 14, 2017 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Yeah, but the question is whether or not he should pay that much for F (upgrading from MCS), not upgrading to MCS.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Unless you have money to burn, I would not bother. The flight time will be around 4:20 to 4:30 in the winter and it is a day time flight. You could buy a gourmet lunch anywhere for less than $240. MCS would be fine and you get free drinks and food so why bother.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Unless you have money to burn, I would not bother. The flight time will be around 4:20 to 4:30 in the winter and it is a day time flight. You could buy a gourmet lunch anywhere for less than $240. MCS would be fine and you get free drinks and food so why bother.
Exactly why VX F is a waste of money on anything but a red-eye. Ill say the same of B6 Mint and any other airline offering premium services on daytime flights.
JPat likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
Exactly why VX F is a waste of money on anything but a red-eye. Ill say the same of B6 Mint and any other airline offering premium services on daytime flights.
I'll have to politely disagree for any day time transcon. You can have 2-4 hours of work time or 2-4 hours relax time to cope with the jet lag and have a usually decent hot meal.

I've found having the extra space and power very productive on transcons. The VX F and B6 Mint seats are very comfortable to work or rest and in the past 4 years on VX great service. I'm now back in the Boston area and grooving on the B6 Mint experience.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
VX F is worth it nonstop. The F is more than just the meal... The big seat and 8:1 service ratio is huge. So I say that $240 is worth it. OT can try it once and if it's that bad, then just don't do it again.
ptownca and FluxTZ like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by gaobest
VX F is worth it nonstop. The F is more than just the meal... The big seat and 8:1 service ratio is huge. So I say that $240 is worth it. OT can try it once and if it's that bad, then just don't do it again.
This is not a huge benefit on a 4 hour flight. It is more compelling on say BOS to SFO in the winter when the flight can exceed 6 hours. MCS seat is adequate for a 4 hour flight and you are not getting a lie flat seat nor free internet as on Mint. $240 in Mint would be a no brainer. $240 on a longer flight from the East Coast is not a bad deal. It is not a great value for this particular flight.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
For LAX-MCO I consider it a good deal, when I have paid $399 for SFO BOS, or $299 for SFO - ORD. The question for the OP is how much room do you need and your tolerance for jet lag, For me the primary benefit of F is getting a nap when I need it/want it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ptownca
For LAX-MCO I consider it a good deal, when I have paid $399 for SFO BOS, or $299 for SFO - ORD. The question for the OP is how much room do you need and your tolerance for jet lag, For me the primary benefit of F is getting a nap when I need it/want it.
Unless the OP were coming in on a red eye from Asia or something, why would one need a nap on an 1130AM 4 hour flight? The OP asked if it was a good deal for that particular flight and the answer is no. Could it be worth it for some people--sure. If the person only paid $99 for the original ticket and got a free upgrade to MCS, it would be an ok deal but still not a steal. The incremental benefit for this particular flight when MCS already has reasonable leg room and free food is negligible.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Unless the OP were coming in on a red eye from Asia or something, why would one need a nap on an 1130AM 4 hour flight? The OP asked if it was a good deal for that particular flight and the answer is no. Could it be worth it for some people--sure. If the person only paid $99 for the original ticket and got a free upgrade to MCS, it would be an ok deal but still not a steal. The incremental benefit for this particular flight when MCS already has reasonable leg room and free food is negligible.
The answer is no for you, and perhaps no for the OP. And perhaps you're more fond of the excellent leg rests and generous recline of the MCS seats, as well as the round or two of PDBs that you receive in MCS than I am. Perhaps not. I know I'm particularly fond of the VX MCS Exercise Program when I'm in Row 3, i.e., going to the rear of the plane to then wait in line for Number One, when there's a vacant lav that I can readily see.

If the cost is going to materially affect someone's budget, add to credit card debt, etc., then the cost is obviously not worth it. If $240 isn't going to materially affect the budget, then I'm all for a much more relaxing day.
ptownca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.