Wiki Posts
Search

One way LAX to FLL: $460??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
One way LAX to FLL: $460??

I was looking at tickets from LAX to FLL next March, and they're $460 one way. Does anyone have any insight as to why it might be so high? I know it's spring break but still, seems a bit unreasonable. Can I expect it to go down over the next few months?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 2:06 am

For a cross-country flight? That doesn't seem too bad.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:53 am

Well, that is a lot for that route. It's usually in the low to mid $200s for a one-way.

But, it's that high because the revenue management software believes there are people that will pay that fare. And, if the computer is wrong, they still have 7 months to make adjustments.

I just searched for LAX-FLL flights on Friday, March 18, 2016. All three of the airlines with non-stop flights are priced similarly. JetBlue is also $460 and Nickel-and-Dime Airways (Spirit) is $394. The best fare with a connection is American at $320.

Aside from Spring Break, Fort Lauderdale is home to some of the largest cruise ships on Earth. Between 3/19-3/20, nine ships are departing Port Everglades. If fully booked (likely for Spring Break), the total passenger count at double-occupancy is 27,296 people. I'm not saying that there are legions of Southern Californians flying cross-country to take cruises. But, VX only has three non-stop flights and roughly 450 seats to sell.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
The price will absolutely drop before then. I'd monitor the price periodically this fall, and then seriously start looking at it in November, December, and January.

I agree that there's high demand for LAX-FLL around the dates you're looking at, but there'll still be (much) better fares to be had. You can probably get it for $189 - $239 if you're patient and diligent.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
bayhouse has this spot on: Most transportation costs seem to start high (partly because they can hit a lot of agency sales with, get cut a few months out, and appeal to most of your "normal" travelers...only to go up with last-minute sales).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I've done this same route a few times from SFO in peak times and it always ended up less than about $525 RT. Patience is the word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.