Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
When I dropped my Comenity card back in the fall, I didn't get any retention effort. That being said, when I was asked why I was closing it I was blunt and said "The airline is going away and I can't justify a $150 fee for a card earning miles on an FFP that's going away with it", and that's not the sort of answer that I would expect most retention departments to bother with.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Nope, because I'm spending all I can on this card for what will be a 30% bonus @ time of transfer.
Super happy to have cancelled mine. Nice not to have to worry about getting status with VX. Cancelled the last few awards I had booked as other airlines had cheap fares. My only task now is to use up the points for something.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Originally Posted by mctrees02
and I only remembered it when I went to buy a ticket for my wife that was $156. I had that "hey wait a minute..." thought. I guess it's worth a phone call.
Just wanted to update anybody with the card that it took me about 15 minutes to get the code for $150 off a companion ticket. I called the Elevate silver line and they obtained it for me.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So the Virgin America Premium credit card offers a bunch of benefits not included with any Alaska card, e.g. no change or cancel fees, status points, $150 off companion ticket, and priority boarding.

Any wisdom in terms of whether these will be grandfathered-in with all the changes?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AAddicted
Comenity is easily the the most amateurish bank I've ever done business with. God help you if you ever have to call them or use your card in a foreign country without triggering a fraud alert.
My streak of "good luck" has ended, BIGLY.

Online payment from my bank of $7000 did not process. I followed up with my bank. My bank contacted Comenity a few days ago. My bank calls back this morning and says we need a conference call of both banks and myself for them to process this. Comenity then verifies every bit of my information, and wants me to update my income information (denied) before saying that they have no record of the payment, and that my bank needs to put the proof in writing. My bank asks for fax #, etc., as it has transaction proof ready to go, and Comenity rep says it will only accept mail. This is unbelievable. A payment from July 31 will likely go unresolved for no less than another week because of this. My sense is that this will go on even longer. Comenity rep also tells me that my account won't suffer interest charges until March, 2018. I said "2017." He said, no, 2018.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
My streak of "good luck" has ended, BIGLY.

Online payment from my bank of $7000 did not process.
I had the same thing happen. Online payment (made via Community/VX card website) did not go through. They said it was a "glitch" and to resubmit payment.

I added VX/Comenity as a payer via my regular bank account and paid it that way. The Comenity site has lots of problems.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by artieb78
I had the same thing happen. Online payment (made via Community/VX card website) did not go through. They said it was a "glitch" and to resubmit payment.

I added VX/Comenity as a payer via my regular bank account and paid it that way. The Comenity site has lots of problems.
I wish mine were so easy. I'm missing $7K from my bank account for 8 days now.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:52 pm

Statement just closed, and I see that they shorted me almost 600 VA points based on my spend last month. Anyone have a similar issue? Initially I thought it may have been related to an AirBnB payment made via Apple Pay (which matched the difference within 2 points), until I realized they also had a debit of about 150 points for returns that month.

Short version: got shorted on miles. Wonder if this is possibly a feature, a bug related to Apple Pay or something else.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Originally Posted by jakers3200
Statement just closed, and I see that they shorted me almost 600 VA points based on my spend last month.
I've had situations where spending at the very end of the statement period (posted within the last 1-2 days of statement close date) sometimes does not post to VX until the following month. The statement does correctly state how many points were earned that month, but not all of the earned credit posts for some reason. I've never had an issue where it didn't post the following month.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Any wisdom in terms of whether these will be grandfathered-in with all the changes?
Why would you think that the VX card, and Comenity Bank as an issuer, will stick around after the merger? AA's arrangement with Citi and Barclay is the exception, not the rule. And neither of those issuers is nearly as hopeless as Comenity.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
Why would you think that the VX card, and Comenity Bank as an issuer, will stick around after the merger? AA's arrangement with Citi and Barclay is the exception, not the rule. And neither of those issuers is nearly as hopeless as Comenity.
It will probably stick around as long as the contract period lasts.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:31 pm

Nope, because I'm spending all I can on this card for what will be a 30% bonus @ time of transfer.
i have the same opinion, although i'm starting to feel like a minority. But I use AS' ffp almost exclusively, so taking 1.3x AS points per dollar seems like a solid idea. Better than SPG card: $50 AF instead of $95, higher earning rate, and no need to wait to incur 20k points( again, primary goal is AS miles only ).

I will use the card for all non-bonus spend beyond 30 transactions on my amex edp card. Maybe rotate it out with the chase freedom unlimited, depending on needs.

But I still see a good amount of value in this card until it disappears...if you are loyal to AS.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA G
Have the premium card and just got hit with the annual fee a few days ago. They only thing they offered was switching to the $49/yr card.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So with AS now offering first checked bag free on VX to BofA cardholders, I gather the only benefit to getting this card beyond the signing bonus is 3 points/$1 and the no change fee (travel credit for cancelled flights).

Speaking of which has anyone been able to get a travel credit for cancelling an AS flight that was purchased with the Comenity card?

What about priority boarding on AS flights?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:22 pm

i just got an email today from AS today stating that the AS card now earns 3x points on VX purchases as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.