Anybody Else Collect States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody Else Collect States?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I have driven just my 1988 blue Mazda B2200 pick up through every county in the west (i.e. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and every where west of there except Hawaii) That same truck has been driven through all the rest of the states except Hawaii. This picture was taken before northeastern Montana and Southeastern New Mexico were driven.

Everywhere (not including Canada) that I've driven my 1988 Mazda B2200 Pickup

The trusty Blue Mazda parked outside my cabin

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Geeze Elton, all you have in the Great State of North Carolina is the I-95 run and a little around Charlotte? For shame!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yeah, I'd definitely like to drive a bit more of the "Mid-East", i.e. Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia not to mention the hills of North Carolina. I have driven a rental car out of Raleigh and went out to the coast and back - beautiful!

When I was down south, one of the most common questions I got when people saw my Alaska plates was "Did yew drahv that truck all the waay dowwn heah?

For a great read about driving the back roads of America, I highly recommend Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent".
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

When I was down south, one of the most common questions I got when people saw my Alaska plates was "Did yew drahv that truck all the waay dowwn heah?
For a great read about driving the back roads of America, I highly recommend Bill Bryson's "The Lost Continent".
Having lived in Georgia for 21 months I understand.

Yes Bill Bryson is a real good read. I love his book on the British Isles. Absolutely hilarious and spot-on.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:46 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely like to drive a bit more of the "Mid-East", i.e. Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia not to mention the hills of North Carolina. I have driven a rental car out of Raleigh and went out to the coast and back - beautiful!

Oh yeah, TN and NC are some of my favorite areas to drive. Most of my family lives up there, in/around the Smokies. Some incredible driving, and some really great stretches if you ride a motorcycle (Tail of the Dragon is a famous one).

If I can ever figure out how to pull it off without outright quitting (I like my current job), I'd love to get a 3-4 month stretch off of work to do some serious driving out in the southwest.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by sehvral
I collect counties. I don't fly very much (planes are too crowded for me), but I do road trips most weekends. Have been through every county in FL, GA, AL, MS, AK, TN, NC, SC. Unfortunately, I'm far enough south in Florida that getting beyond those states and back in a weekend is almost impossible, so I guess I'm gonna have to move if I want to keep collecting :P
Did you mean AR (Arkansas) or did you really drive everywhere in Alaska?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Did you mean AR (Arkansas) or did you really drive everywhere in Alaska?
Err, sorry, yeah. Meant Arkansas. Haven't added dog sleds to my travel plans yet
Old Feb 21, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Err, sorry, yeah. Meant Arkansas. Haven't added dog sleds to my travel plans yet
No SEAT 2A does that.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:52 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CMK10
Especially as GA has something like 160+ counties making it even more so.
Georgia has 159 counties.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:04 am

I went to the USA for 3 weeks and tried to collect all 50 state quarters but as time ran out I started to play the change machines in the laundry room at the hostel I was staying in. Oh the shame! Still haven't got a complete collection.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Only 31 states, here. Can't imagine shooting for counties...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The local library has it! Added to my First Available Copy list.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Only 14

Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:32 pm

I have been to or through 26 states. I also like to keep a count of the states of license plates of cars I've ridden in or driven (I only count passenger cars, not commercial vehicles or taxis). I'm up to 12 states for that: I've ridden in cars with license plates from NJ, NY, CT, PA, FL, OH, IL, MN, NM, CA, MI, DE.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Add it to your list for the future. Have lived in both places so can recommend both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.