Anybody Else Collect States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody Else Collect States?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Good news for anyone missing North Dakota...it's not really a state!

Because of Constitution Error, North Dakota is Not a State (and Never Has Been)
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:04 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
+1 I have been to South Dakota a lot, since I acquired family there. I love the "a-maize-ing" Corn Palace.

Idaho seems to be a recurring theme. It is the only state I have left.
That's interesting, my Queen.

I was "A-Maized" by South Dakota. Funny tid-bit...Best steak I ever had was at "Pierre's" in Mitchell as well. Not sure it's still there. I'm going back probably 12 years now. But it was an A-Maiz-ing restaurant considering the small size of the town. I did not have a chance to visit Laura Ingalls Wilder's home near Mitchell, although the locals all told me about it when I visited.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I visited Alabama earlier this year bring my total count to 48 states (AK and ND yet to go)

My goal is to visit all 50 states, plus 50 countries by the time I'm 50 years old.

At 35 I'm at 48 states and 20 countries.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
All I have left is ND, MT, ID, and AK. I should be able to get the first three when I finally take the Empire Builder to Seattle, but AK I'm not sure. Maybe a mileage run

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pogopossum
All I have left is ND, MT, ID, and AK. I should be able to get the first three when I finally take the Empire Builder to Seattle, but AK I'm not sure. Maybe a mileage run

Cheers,
Pogopossum
That's how I got ND, MT and NM!

I'm down to 4 (AK, WY, SD and AL) and will be getting AL when taking the Crescent from Baltimore to New Orleans in May.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:43 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
Shoot, I live in MN and just got my first visit to ND a couple years ago for a friend's wedding. There's just not much to do up there.

I also do count states and have been to about 36, I was trying to get the rest of them done in 2012 to be the first in the family to hit all 50. I planned it out and figured I could do it in 6 trips. I need 6 up in the northeast which I can knock out in 1 trip.

For our little family competition, you can't have just been in the airport or driven through, you have to do something in the state, meal, hike, anything. Got Utah on a layover a couple years ago flying MSP-Reno to go skiing in Tahoe, had a 3 hour layover and took a cab downtown to eat a meal.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
A good friend of mine and his wife "collect" states, but in order to add one to their collection, they have to do three things in the state:

1. Have a job
2. Get a paycheck
3. Pay rent

They've done this in about 25 states so far. ^^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
A good friend of mine and his wife "collect" states, but in order to add one to their collection, they have to do three things in the state:

1. Have a job
2. Get a paycheck
3. Pay rent

They've done this in about 25 states so far. ^^
Wow. By that logic I've been to four states
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes I collect states. I have been to all 50 plus DC. I have slept overnight twice or more with the exception of DC,VA, CT and VT where I have only slept one night. I have visited the capital cities of all the states. I Have flown into them all bar DE. I have driven in all 50 states and DC. I have not as yet crossed the state line of AS by foot, car or other though I have of course flown across it.

The state with the longest outstanding visit (date of last visit) is MN in September 2009. It is kind of an obsession with me. I collect them all by year too. So far this year done IN, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA

LOVE IT
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
I collect states & provinces. I have 9 states left (MN,ND,SD,NE,KS,OK,MN,IA,WI) and 6 provinces (MB,NL,NT,NU,SK,YT). Took UT & ID off the list this last September. I count it even if we are just in the airport - although my sister doesn't. I always thought that Hawaii and Alaska would be the hardest states to get, but those were fairly easy (great fares popped up).
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathinJax
I collect states & provinces. I have 9 states left (MN,ND,SD,NE,KS,OK,MN,IA,WI) and 6 provinces (MB,NL,NT,NU,SK,YT). Took UT & ID off the list this last September. I count it even if we are just in the airport - although my sister doesn't. I always thought that Hawaii and Alaska would be the hardest states to get, but those were fairly easy (great fares popped up).
Yes, when I first moved to the US, one of my first trips was to drive from Kansas City MO, through IA to MN - crossed briefly into WI, then drove northwest to ND, then south through SD, NE, KS and back to MO. Left Friday night and was back Sunday evening. From your list, a similar trip would knock quite a few states off.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My first US boss in Missouri said 'Well you know, the only way you can really truly count a state is if you have sex in that state".

By that count I have only done 17.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:09 am

I collect counties. I don't fly very much (planes are too crowded for me), but I do road trips most weekends. Have been through every county in FL, GA, AL, MS, AK, TN, NC, SC. Unfortunately, I'm far enough south in Florida that getting beyond those states and back in a weekend is almost impossible, so I guess I'm gonna have to move if I want to keep collecting :P

I also collect Microtel stays. That chain has been my go-to for my typical "check-in at midnight, check-out at 8:00am" road trip stays. Have stayed at about 3/4 of the locations in those states.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have so far in 2012 IN-IL-FL-AL-MS-LA and this weekend will add TX. I am hoping to do all 50 again this year.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by sehvral
I collect counties. I don't fly very much (planes are too crowded for me), but I do road trips most weekends. Have been through every county in FL, GA, AL, MS, AK, TN, NC, SC. Unfortunately, I'm far enough south in Florida that getting beyond those states and back in a weekend is almost impossible, so I guess I'm gonna have to move if I want to keep collecting :P
That's really impressive! Especially as GA has something like 160+ counties making it even more so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.