Reload this Page >

Anybody Else Collect States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody Else Collect States?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:24 pm

Made 39 so far, aiming for the other 11 before I turn 50.
Old May 26, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Whoo-hoo, I just made it to all 50!

Idaho was the last unvisited state. A week ago, we flew to Spokane, then drove east to Idaho, ending up in Sandpoint. We spent a beautiful 3 days in Idaho, with car tours into Montana, then drove to Portland along the Columbia River (another bucket list item).

It was really great and now I can say I have visited all 50 United States!
Old May 26, 2012, 9:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Whoo-hoo, I just made it to all 50!

Idaho was the last unvisited state. A week ago, we flew to Spokane, then drove east to Idaho, ending up in Sandpoint. We spent a beautiful 3 days in Idaho, with car tours into Montana, then drove to Portland along the Columbia River (another bucket list item).

It was really great and now I can say I have visited all 50 United States!
Way to go!

I'm just behind you at 47, picked up Alabama on a long-distance train trip last week. While some might claim that might necessarily "count" not only did I hop off the train for a walk around Birmingham, but if you cross the entire width of a state via train you can see a lot of it, understanding its ecosystem, viewing its towns and cities and if you're like me, read up on its history meanwhile.

Just Alaska, Wyoming and South Dakota left for me, and I'm doing Alaska for my birthday this year.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by CMK10
Way to go!

I'm just behind you at 47, picked up Alabama on a long-distance train trip last week. While some might claim that might necessarily "count" not only did I hop off the train for a walk around Birmingham, but if you cross the entire width of a state via train you can see a lot of it, understanding its ecosystem, viewing its towns and cities and if you're like me, read up on its history meanwhile.

Just Alaska, Wyoming and South Dakota left for me, and I'm doing Alaska for my birthday this year.
Crossing by train totally counts. You're on the ground and can see and learn a lot from a train window.

I have been to South Dakota a lot, and recommend the Black Hills area. You can see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and a lot of other family-friendly smaller attractions. From there, it's an easy hop over to Wyoming.

Go for it!!!
Old May 26, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Crossing by train totally counts. You're on the ground and can see and learn a lot from a train window.

I have been to South Dakota a lot, and recommend the Black Hills area. You can see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and a lot of other family-friendly smaller attractions. From there, it's an easy hop over to Wyoming.

Go for it!!!
It's funny I was actually thinking of doing it the other way. Flying to Denver where I have a friend, then heading up into Cheyenne and east into the Black Hills from there. Either way though it sounds like gorgeous country.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:52 pm

Go for it!!!
I think you have to step off the train at least in the station, for it to count.

I took the AutoTrain roundtrip across North and South Carolina, among others. Nonstop, overnight. I don't count those states, personally. (Georgia, I've been to.)
Old May 28, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by GaryD
I think you have to step off the train at least in the station, for it to count.
I am definitely in agreement there. When I take my train trips I get off at every stop I can often venturing into the station if there's time.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Mart81
A mere 6

Arizona
California
Michigan
Nevada
New York
Utah

still not bad for a European
oh by the way, I collect vehicle license plates as a memory.
Update
+Delaware
+Maryland
+New Jersey
+Pennsylvania
+Virginia
+Washington DC

so 12 now ^
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Mart81
Update
+Delaware
+Maryland
+New Jersey
+Pennsylvania
+Virginia
+Washington DC

so 12 now ^
Good job! 24% of the way there. DE isn't the easiest one either.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, ANZ Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Good job! 24% of the way there. DE isn't the easiest one either.
Thanks - I drove through it from NYC to DC! Not a very eventful journey but good enough to tick it off! Not bad for a person living across the pond I reckon..
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Just arrived in BOS, hope to add another 5 over the next 10 days.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

I'll never beat the friend of a friend, who has visited every county in the US, but it's still fun

Do any other FT'ers keep track of states visited?

------------------
Middle_Seat
Wow, every county! That is insane...much respect, Iwounder what he does for a living

I do collect states, I think I'm 49 now( I need to doublecheck though), with Delaware left, visited Norht Dacota this month
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I am flying to North Dakota this weekend, which will be my 48th state.
Arkansas will be my 49th (in November) and West Virginia will finish it up (October 2013).
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
18, with a chance of 1 more before the end of the year

Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IFlyHarder
I am flying to North Dakota this weekend, which will be my 48th state.
Arkansas will be my 49th (in November) and West Virginia will finish it up (October 2013).
Nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.