Wiki Posts
Search

Solar Eclipse - April 8 2024

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2024, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Section 107
this is probably the very best photo of the eclipse I have seen - you can actually see craters on the moon in the foreground. Fantastic!
Pixel 8 Pro with Solar Shield pic software - that's all.

Both my BF and I (separate phones) noted the red spots at the lower left of the moon - apparently, these are Bailey's Beads but they rendered in our cameras as red. EDITED TO ADD: Actually, others with even better shots note this as a solar flare!

Here's one taken late in the totality:

corky, aztimm, Section 107 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Apr 10, 2024 at 8:58 pm
Old Apr 11, 2024, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Pixel 8 Pro with Solar Shield pic software - that's all.

Both my BF and I (separate phones) noted the red spots at the lower left of the moon - apparently, these are Bailey's Beads but they rendered in our cameras as red. EDITED TO ADD: Actually, others with even better shots note this as a solar flare!

Here's one taken late in the totality:

at 7 clock the red mark is something else based on reports.

https://www.livescience.com/space/th...a%20prominence.
corky likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:51 am

Totality over Texas Hill Country

Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MM

From my driveway. Notice the solar flares.

Caught the very instant of the so-called diamond ring. It's the moment where both the corona and the sun itself can be seen.
Craig6z, corky, SPN Lifer and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by wrp96
On the drive home, our electronic signs said "Take off your eclipse glasses."
I drove to Kentucky for the eclipse in 2017. The town I stopped at was just off I 75. After it was over, I saw they had a sign posted on the freeway entrance ramp that said "Come again when you can stay longer." lol
Old Apr 12, 2024, 5:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I had to be in DAL for something unrelated that weekend, was wondering why prices were so high even though March Madness had been gone by then. Had I not stumbled by accident on a news story I was planning to leave on Monday morning 😮
gaobest likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I had to be in DAL for something unrelated that weekend, was wondering why prices were so high even though March Madness had been gone by then. Had I not stumbled by accident on a news story I was planning to leave on Monday morning 😮
Monday morning should have been very cheap for departing texas to fly outside of Texas outside totality. :-)
we have friends in sf who booked their flights (Saturday to Monday night) 11 months ahead of time. Smart. We booked in January. I didn’t even know about this until middle January as my ayce said that she was talking with our friends about it on New Year’s Eve and how did I not hear the conversation and alas I didn’t even hear the conversation because the littles were singing Perfect Pitch song melodies that included Taylor’s We Are Never Getting Back Together. So fun!!
Old Apr 18, 2024, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
my office director was in Cleveland for the women’s final 4 which ended on Sunday, many there might had planned to fly back on Monday not realizing where they were.

I heard many stories during 2017 where folks rented houses posted on VRBO/ Airbnb thst were in totality path and the owners had no idea of the clise and tried to resell.

in buffalo therr was a Tory of a tour group who had booked a few nights st airport hotels ( I think one was Hampton inn, thr other Aloft) wherr thr owner did not know of the eclipse and then cancelled their stay to rebook st 5-10x the booking tste.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by gaobest
Monday morning should have been very cheap for departing texas to fly outside of Texas outside totality.
They were indeed. Prices jumped a few hundred $ for departures after totality for the flights that I was looking at out of DFW.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by econ
They were indeed. Prices jumped a few hundred $ for departures after totality for the flights that I was looking at out of DFW.
pre-ecliosr flights— flying duting eclipse innthr path

post eclipse— flying to head home right after the eclipse. I’m certain there were more than a few would did out and back flights into Clevrland, indy, and LOVE/DFW

drlta, southwest and a few others set up eclipse flights like delta to Detroit and I think AUS-IND had a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.