Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by JaDeGirL01
We are in the same boat; a lost passport reported and application in on 6/29, along with a trip to Greece planned for Aug 18th. It's been in process since 7/6, and we contacted congress-person last week. Good luck!
Update that might give you some hope:

The Houston Office just telephoned. They did not have the DS-64 form that I filled out online when I applied on June 15. Nor did they have my passport card which I surrendered to the post office when filing on June 15. But were very helpful. I followed the nice man's instructions, and filled out a hard copy of another DS-64, signed the form, sent the form along with a check for the 17.56 for them to overnight and a letter explaining the situation and having spoken to them, by overnight mail to Houston. They should have it tomorrow. He assured me that once in hand they would issue my passport.

Hope that this helps you and that your situation resolves. I will completely believe that mine does when I have the passport in hand. Hopefully by the end of this week, I will update here.

The very best of luck. I certainly know how stressful this is for you.
Xyzzy and JaDeGirL01 like this.

Last edited by JadedFan; Jul 20, 2021 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by JadedFan
Update that might give you some hope:

The Houston Office just telephoned. They did not have the DS-64 form that I filled out online when I applied on June 15. Nor did they have my passport card which I surrendered to the post office when filing on June 15. But were very helpful. I followed the nice man's instructions, and filled out a hard copy of another DS-64, signed the form, sent the form along with a check for the 17.56 for them to overnight and a letter explaining the situation and having spoken to them, by overnight mail to Houston. They should have it tomorrow. He assured me that once in hand they would issue my passport.

Hope that this helps you and that your situation resolves. I will completely believe that mine does when I have the passport in hand. Hopefully by the end of this week, I will update here.

The very best of luck. I certainly know how stressful this is for you.
That's very good news! We also filled out the DS-64 form online so I hope there isn't a glitch in the system. We haven't heard from any Passport office yet but hopefully soon. Cheers!
JadedFan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
This may be a silly question, though I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and I know most of you have already applied. But I noticed that there are hand-written passport applications in addition to ones generated by the passport wizard after filling out the info online. The latter application generates a barcode on the top left part of the first page. I'll post photos to illustrate the differences. My question is: do you think that sending out the application from the online wizard with the barcode makes processing it faster? I would think that the barcode contains all the info, which means they wouldn't have to type it by hand.

DS-11 generated from online wizard with barcode

DS-11 pdf to be filled out by hand (no barcode)
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Nayef
This may be a silly question, though I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and I know most of you have already applied. But I noticed that there are hand-written passport applications in addition to ones generated by the passport wizard after filling out the info online. The latter application generates a barcode on the top left part of the first page. I'll post photos to illustrate the differences. My question is: do you think that sending out the application from the online wizard with the barcode makes processing it faster? I would think that the barcode contains all the info, which means they wouldn't have to type it by hand.

The barcode allows fster processing because the data should already be in the system when the form is received and the barcode is scanned vs. having to have OCR read it or having to have someone type it in from the manually filled form.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The barcode allows fster processing because the data should already be in the system when the form is received and the barcode is scanned vs. having to have OCR read it or having to have someone type it in from the manually filled form.
That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm wondering if it does actually have a notable impact on processing times but I don't think there are stats for that.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM

Yes. Additionally online filled form with a barcode eliminates error/s.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
That's what I'm thinking, too. I'm wondering if it does actually have a notable impact on processing times but I don't think there are stats for that.
Is there a reason you do not wish to or unable to fill out this form online?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Is there a reason you do not wish to or unable to fill out this form online?
No reason at all. I'm just surprised that more people aren't doing it online. Probably would've saved a lot of time and I'm wondering what percentage of backlogged applications have the barcodes. The only thing that would give me some pause is that the online generated forms and the ones at the post offices have 2019 as their expiration dates, but it still seems like they're using them. Meanwhile, the new DS-11 PDF has 2023 as the expiration date. I'd still go for the one generated online with the barcode nevertheless in the hope that the State Department doesn't suddenly change the forms or mandate the new ones by the time I'm (hopefully) able to apply.

Last edited by Nayef; Jul 20, 2021 at 1:18 pm
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:14 pm

It should eliminate OCR scanning errors and delays stemming from that and manual entry of information due to scanning failures. I doubt it is any faster than a clean scan, though.

I did mine using the assisted entry and have a barcode. I'll report back on the time it actually took.

Since any process involving human intervention, which OCR typically does, has the greatest potential for inducing errors, I will always use whatever method offers the least incidence of human involvement.
Xyzzy and Nayef like this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:18 pm

The State Department has 26 agencies, including 21 domestic locations, however, in-person appointments are very limited. The agency is working to bring its workforce, which is less than 200 people, back to offices in-person.

Staff will be able to process applications faster once back in the office because workers need to be physically present to print passports. The department said it will take time to get back to normal processing times.
https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2...ong-delay.html
Old Jul 20, 2021, 1:44 pm

Talking

Yes, the barcode is specific to your application, so it would speed things along. Also, there's notation discouraging you from making corrections once the barcode form is printed out.
Nayef likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Yep. Although annoyingly, the acceptance facility I went to insisted on making handwritten changes anyway. They insisted listing an emergency contact was mandatory.

I'm guessing that'll add even more delay as the data will now have to be entered manually.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MyeshiaQ
Timeline:

Passport sent 6/16/21
Status updated to Processing 6/18/21
When applied was told expedited passport would arrive in up to 4 weeks.
It seems multiple people are giving out different info and it’s extremely confusing!
Contacted state senate offices 7/10/21
Got a call from the case worker today and he mentioned the passport is in New Orleans (Post Office said it would be in Philadelphia)
The case worker said he will call back after attempting to put a rush on the passport
Has anyone else experienced their passport coming from New Orleans? Our travel date is 7/24/21 and my nerves are completely SHOT. I know some offices are more swamped than others and that some work faster than others so anything you all know, please share!
UPDATE!
Both of our State Senators offices did as promised. The first one requested a rush in the inquiry and the second Senator was able to email me last night with an update which said the passport would be mailed no later than today. We ended up cancelling our trip due to the uncertainty of when the passport would arrive and to get the full refund and be able to rebook for next month. I kept checking the site only for the status to still say “processing”. Guess what popped up in the mail today? Yep, the passport 😒 Status is still at processing. Our trip was supposed to be 7/24 so in all that was about 5 weeks for us which isn’t bad. Wish the status system was accurate.

Good luck all!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:09 pm

@MyeshiaQ Glad you received the passport and refund. Sucks that you had to cancel your trip. Thank you for the update!
JadedFan and MyeshiaQ like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by dutonier
My passport took almost three weeks. I think it depends on the queues. In some places they are much longer.
Three weeks is almost miraculous given the current delays.
FabCW, JaDeGirL01 and JadedFan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.