Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesnt match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old May 17, 2021, 11:54 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm sure there is some "logical" reason, why doesn't the Passport Agency accept credit/debit cards? Why not direct debit from a checking account?
Old May 17, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
It actually does accept electronic funds transfers. You only think you're writing a check. Try pulling up a copy of your cancelled check and see what happens.
Old May 17, 2021, 6:44 pm

Submitted passport application on May 1st
received on May 12th
received emailed that passport has been overnighted with tracking UPS info May 17th
will have passport tmw May 18th via UPS
my trip is on May 19th !

Talk about cutting it close !

so happy to receive my passport in time for my DR trip. Thanks to all the tips from this site I was able to receive my passport book in 18 calendar days!

feel free to ask me how I did it. Everyone was saying even with me paying for expedited service it would take 4-6 weeks !
Old May 17, 2021, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jmarrow250
received on May 12th
received emailed that passport has been overnighted with tracking UPS info May 17th
my trip is on May 19th !

so happy to receive my passport in time for my DR trip. Thanks to all the tips from this site I was able to receive my passport book in 18 calendar days!

feel free to ask me how I did it. Everyone was saying even with me paying for expedited service it would take 4-6 weeks !
Yes please, tell me how you did it. I would like my passport ASAP. What's the secret?

Edit: I see you do not wish to inform the group.

Last edited by danielm; May 26, 2021 at 6:13 pm Reason: scorn
Old May 19, 2021, 8:57 am

New member, have been monitoring this thread for a few weeks now and some of the conclusions you members are having is a little funny. I don't think their quarantining mail or anything it is just the system has no rhyme or reason behind going from "Not found" to "In process" etc. First time Passport application for myself.

4/23 - Applied at USPS facility with a printout filled out on computer
4/28 - Marked "In Process" and my checks were cashed
5/18 - Called Customer service and asked about the refund on expedited fee Policy - Also emailed customer support
5/19 - Passport approved and mailed.

Not sure if it was anything I did for it to get approved, I asked about the refund policy on expedited service. Their website says 20 business days which is 1 month. The status checker would tell you 4-6 weeks so it is a little confusing and I wanted to know exactly when I could apply for a refund of the $60. If it helps any I applied with my "Enhanced Drivers License" as part of my application. The DL is as good as a Passport card and can be used as a border crossing by land into and out of the USA. Hope everything works out for everyone here, it might not hurt to call and press the issue? If you filed for regular service it could be 3-4 months for it to come.
Old May 19, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by boxedlunch
(will update as things progress)
Passport renewal in-process. Old passport was expired. Requested new book & card. Regular service (not-expedited). No planned international travel listed.

4/12/21: Mailed application from Austin, TX to Irving, TX via first class mail
4/16/21: (assumed) Application received in Irving, TX...no tracking on the envelope
5/12/21: Application Status shows up as "In Process" on website with a locator number and 10-12 week estimate
5/12/21: Cashed check appears on my bank account
??/??/21: Approved / Shipped Notifications
??/??/21: New passport received
We're in a similar timeline with kids passports.

4/16/21: Mailed applications from Palm Beach Gardens, FL via regular mail.
5/17/21: Application Status shows up as "In Process" on website with a locator number and 10-12 week estimate
5/17/21: Cashed checks appear on my bank account

I wasn't comfortable with the 10-12 week timeline after the 4 lost weeks it took for it to show "In Process" so I called yesterday afternoon (5/18) to expedite applications. I got someone after a 3 hour hold and he took my credit card number and said that "if expediting is approved" they will charge my card and expedite.

Does anyone know how the process of expediting via phone works? How long would it take for it to "be approved"? When can I expect my card to be charged? Will the status change to "expedited" in the online tracker?
Old May 19, 2021, 10:51 pm

Update:

I am renewing 2 passports:

4/20: Passports sent by Priority Mail for routine service
4/24: Arrives at mailing center in Irving, Texas
5/19: At around 8 pm Pacific time, I received emails notifying me of a status change from 'Not Available' to 'Processed,' with a message saying they are currently processing in 10-12 weeks.
5/20: The checks were cashed.
To be continued...

Our trip is Aug 28th. It was originally going to be July 3rd, but realized the passport renewal process would take much longer.

Last edited by EC_Nomad; May 20, 2021 at 11:44 am
Old May 20, 2021, 6:22 am

how to get a expedited passport less 4 weeks

how to get a USA expedited passport less 4 weeks..
help
Old May 20, 2021, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Jmarrow250
received on May 12th
my trip is on May 19th !

please give me tips how to get the passport in 18 days.
I needed for june 20th. I did on clerks office May 18th paid all expedited fees
anything else I could do ?
Old May 20, 2021, 11:02 am

Please contact your state's senator or congressman online, fill out their online information form with passport application number. That may help to push your case faster. Also, you could call NPIC number or email them asking for an ETA.
Old May 20, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: United
Got my renewed password today, paid extra for expedited service. Timeline as follows:

4/3/2021 - Mailed with Priority 2-Day
4/6/2021 - USPS reported that it was delivered
4/27/2021 - Application Status: In Process
4/28/2021 - Check cashed
5/18/2021 - Application Status: Approved / Shipped (exactly 6 weeks after it was delivered by USPS)
5/20/2021 - Passport showed up in my mailbox
Old May 21, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by benju
Got my renewed password today, paid extra for expedited service. Timeline as follows:

4/3/2021 - Mailed with Priority 2-Day
4/6/2021 - USPS reported that it was delivered
4/27/2021 - Application Status: In Process
4/28/2021 - Check cashed
5/18/2021 - Application Status: Approved / Shipped (exactly 6 weeks after it was delivered by USPS)
5/20/2021 - Passport showed up in my mailbox
that is crazy, and I know people sending it for regular processing in (Irving, TX). And getting it faster!
Old May 21, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I'm going to Mexico in December, and my passport expires in April of next year - I assume it's still required to be valid for 6 months in order to be granted entry, so I'll need a new one before that trip? Any particular time of year better than others for renewing?
Old May 21, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by strickerj
I'm going to Mexico in December, and my passport expires in April of next year - I assume it's still required to be valid for 6 months in order to be granted entry, so I'll need a new one before that trip? ...
What I know on this is as fllows:
The Mexican government only requires that your passport must be valid during the entirety of your trip. Please contact the airline(s) you will be flying on to ensure that they let you board the plane as the United States does have a six months validity rule for passports that may apply.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by strickerj
I'm going to Mexico in December, and my passport expires in April of next year - I assume it's still required to be valid for 6 months in order to be granted entry, so I'll need a new one before that trip? Any particular time of year better than others for renewing?
American and JetBlue have blanket six-month requirements on their websites. You may be denied boarding if an agent relies on their internal rules rather than TIMATIC.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.