Reload this Page >

Cheapest U.S. City to Hold a Conference for about 75

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest U.S. City to Hold a Conference for about 75

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Just to clarify is there any reason a late winter early spring would not work? I haven't booked a convention beyond a 16 person fraternity trip a decade ago but have been back since and think it would work well....

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
New Orleans in the summer works, Bigger budget conventions avoid it due to the heat. If you're willing to sweat it out you'll get a deal, and an interesting city vs, having it at the cheapest airline hub hotel like the dumpier hotels at O'hare.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have found that New Orleans isn't generally as centrally located, including for those flying or driving, as ORD; and airfares to MSY from more parts of the U.S. tend to be worse for MSY than for ORD IME when it's just a weekend conference.

Originally Posted by neuron
Does it have to be US based? If not, given the Cdn $, you may consider Quebec city or Ottawa
Even Montreal would be economical.....as long as it is not Jan or early Feb
Due to the US Government, flying to Canada without a passport/NEXUS card is broadly required of airlines serving the U.S.; that ramps up the costs for Americans using Canada.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Just to clarify is there any reason a late winter early spring would not work? I haven't booked a convention beyond a 16 person fraternity trip a decade ago but have been back since and think it would work well....
Assuming you're referring to New Orleans, Mardis Gras is on Feb. 28 in 2017, meaning the city will be swamped with Mardis Gras attendees followed by spring breakers through Easter, which must be in early April. If money is an issue, I wouldn't head to New Orleans during that stretch.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:11 pm

I ask where are most of the people coming from?
Ages?
What do they like to do?

While LAS always seems to be on top, what is there but gaming, really? Culturally?
Phoenix is always a top pick for late-winter/early spring?

Maybe think outside the box, look at Kansas City, Dallas, Austin, Nashville, not sure about San Diego($$$)?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fredman
I ask where are most of the people coming from?
Ages?
What do they like to do?

While LAS always seems to be on top, what is there but gaming, really? Culturally?
Nothing much - just every top chef has a restaurant there, dozens of stars have shows, there are something like 8 Cirque shows to choose from, plus Broadway-style shows...yeah, what is there but gaming, really?

OK, back to the discussion: For that time of year, and given costs and easy transpo, LAS is most certainly a contender.

The new Westin at Denver International Airport should be open for your dates, and they might be very interested in filling rooms midweek during that time of year. If you had your meeting at an on-airport hotel, transportation gets much easier.

Other on-airport hotels include ORD and MCO.

I'm thinking Dallas might work, especially Los Colinas.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Also consider San Antonio, especially in the Riverwalk. Lots of hotels close by, plus plenty to do around the Riverwalk.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:08 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this to the USA destination forum. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:09 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Vegas may be cheap, but there is a reason for it. The hotels sell cheap rooms and then expect to make profit on other things. Attendees show up to morning meetings hung over, or late, or not at all, and the general atmosphere of the city might make it hard for people to focus and get work done. I don't know if this is a concern for your demographic.

One trick is to look for cities that are major business centers but not tourist destinations, and pick a time when business is slow. Many small state capitals fall into this category. For example, I have scored cheap hotels in Sacramento when the legislature is not in session and the lobbyists are out of town.

Another trick is to go to cities that are tourist destinations during a different season. Arizona in the summer is an example. Of course, you have to deal with the heat.

One question I have: do you need to convince people to attend, or are they attending by default? If the former, then the location is important since a bad location will result in lower attendance.

Finally, a piece of advice. Negotiate hard. Hotels will usually bring down costs substantially if they don't have a lot of business on those days, but you need to ask. Tell them what other offers you have, and ask if they can beat them. Make it clear that you are concerned about cost as your major criterion.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
A few of the above posts must be a joke. LAS is MUCH, MUCH more than gambling. When is the last time you visited?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What does the presence of technical colleges have to do with this? if you want visits or some other form of help or interaction, having contacts there would matter a lot.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
The problem isn't so much getting people to want to attend, it is about making it so that they can get budget approval and have their parent organizations pay for them to attend. I don't want to divulge the organization online, but it is an organization of special labs that usually are located within colleges and non-profit organizations, which often don't get the attention, support, or funding they really deserve and need.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
I get the feeling that you are looking for someplace with few distractions. Have you considered SLC? First off, it's a fairly easy location to get to. Second they have the University of Utah. And lastly, the only distractions you'll encounter are a couple of nice shopping centers. There are a good number of hotels to choose from as well. Good luck with your search!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
The problem isn't so much getting people to want to attend, it is about making it so that they can get budget approval and have their parent organizations pay for them to attend. I don't want to divulge the organization online, but it is an organization of special labs that usually are located within colleges and non-profit organizations, which often don't get the attention, support, or funding they really deserve and need.

Does this group have flexibility wrt timing? It soynds like something like Gordon Research conferences model which has some meetings on college campuses during summer. It can be quite economical
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I've found New Orleans to have good prices.

I've look at hosting a few conferences there but we needed lots of rooms which spread everyone out too much. But for a smaller number of people New Orleans can allow for lots of interesting options. For winter/early spring the weather should be good compared to say Minneapolis or Toronto.

Also great food and entertainment.
But, of course, Toronto is not in the USA, nor it is a cost effective destination (even with the low CAD) due to high costs once there and airfares to YYZ not being cheap.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's not in the USA....yet. Canada has oil and we must "liberate" them of it.

I mentioned it because Toronto is very close, easy to get to, has good conventional possibilities and I have found many good fares from cities. Also remember YYZ is not the only airport. I gpt good deals with PD when I did conventions there.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
But, of course, Toronto is not in the USA, nor it is a cost effective destination (even with the low CAD) due to high costs once there and airfares to YYZ not being cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.