Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest U.S. City to Hold a Conference for about 75

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I think sometimes the organizers focus too much on hotel prices and don't think about how expensive it is to fly to Bumfook, Arkansas or some other out of the way place.
When I helped organize a convention years ago similar to the size of the OP's conference, we chose Vegas for exactly that reason. Most of our attendees were on tight budgets. Not only were we able to negotiate a rate at a four-star hotel below what we'd pay for a Days Inn pretty much anywhere else in the country, but the flights to LAS from various points around the US were cheaper than those to other cities such as Chicago and New York.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I was just gonna assume Vegas, it's not as central as other places, but seems to be regardless of what part of the continent you're in, Vegas is easily accessible and fairly cheap, not to mention with plenty of facilities readily available. Hotel costs are ok too except for those damn resort fees. I just had a room last week that was like $36, but the resort fee was another $22, why not just charge me $58 up front!?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
LAS probably wins for a midweek conference. Most people can get there nonstop. You also can't beat RNO for midweek rates with hotels large enough to accommodate a group. They have a decent airport, but not nearly the nonstop access and fares will be generally higher.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Consider total cost door-to-door.
1. Ground transportation
2. Hotel rooms
3. Meeting space
4. Food & beverage
5. Taxes

Also consider time. If it takes three connections and two days to get there, it's a bit harder to peddle to anybody who values their time.

LAS is likely to be it, although you should tinker with the specific dates.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if possible to do summer, i would think phoenix (mentioned above by chgoeditor and brentley) would have good potential
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cloudship
It'sa fairly small - I would say 75 people. It's not like I am part of the planning committee, they just asked people's opinions, so I figured I would ask here.

Usually we are able to find a place to meet. We are a pretty ingenious group - we should be, that is what we are all about. I think the big issue is finding a city that has cheap airfares from a variety of places, has a few good technical colleges (although these are usually Community Colleges), and has some cheaper places to stay. In the past they have been smaller cities like Tulsa and Racine, but they get expensive to get to.

I like the idea of Florida myself - even though prices gfo up they are still not bad. But New Orleans - there was an idea I never thought of.
If it's on a weekend where there are no big events in or around the city, I would look at Chicago. The ORD area hotels dump rooms like crazy and ORD airfares can be pretty reasonable.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
It's during the workweek.

One issue with Las Vegas - many attendees have to really fight to get approval to attend. Having something in Las Vegas does not help their case any. But I will mention the idea.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I second New Orleans (aside from the obvious choice of Vegas), and it's a beautiful city to spend the spare time in too.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I think sometimes the organizers focus too much on hotel prices and don't think about how expensive it is to fly to Bumfook, Arkansas or some other out of the way place. In places like Vegas people can also get by without rental cars, another annoying expense.
It's usually more complicated than just the room rate. I know for the organization I work for, we have to weigh the food & beverage minimum, room rental, counter service in the immediate area, accessibility from the airport to the hotel, and then room rates and flight costs.

We would love to be in major cities like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc., but we can't typically afford it without doubling our registration rate to make up for the costs we incur that attendees aren't aware of. We don't do city wide conventions, so we have far less negotiating power than many professional associations.

For the OP, I would try Rosemont by O'Hare. A lot of those hotels will give a good rate for a small group, and you get good transport links. Other cities that will probably give you a good deal are Omaha, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, and Louisville. I would stay away from Albuquerque and Memphis.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Does it have to be US based? If not, given the Cdn $, you may consider Quebec city or Ottawa
Even Montreal would be economical.....as long as it is not Jan or early Feb
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Cheapest U.S. City to Hold a Conference for about 75

A few other Midwest cities to consider, DEN, STL and BNA.

Cities with a strong Spirit or other LCC are good options from an airfare perspective.

Cities I would not consider due to cost include DAL, ORD, ATL, etc.

Rasheed
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cloudship
...and would have cheap hotel rates to boot, during the late winter/early spring?
I can't comment on air prices, but if your definition of "late winter/early spring" includes January or February you might look at Orlando. Hotels are relatively empty because kids are in school.

A location like International Drive in Orlando is also good because there clusters of multiple hotels within walking distance of each other. That allows attendees to choose between multiple hotel categories (economy, limited-service, full-service) and multiple hotel families (Marriott, Hilton, etc).
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Is this a Church based event? Why not consider LAS or RNO?

If the Fed's or other groups are still "excluding" Nevada because of stupid statements made by our Commander in Chief, that is a problem. 2+ million people live in Clark County, Nevada. Our economy is based on events like this. Like I posted up-thread. Low cost air from almost every major city in the USA, low cost meeting space, low cost transportation, the airport is 3 miles from the "Strip", great food options, etc.

I also agree MSY or MCO could work as well.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:21 pm

If it's late winter/early Spring, maybe Chicago?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I've found New Orleans to have good prices.

I've look at hosting a few conferences there but we needed lots of rooms which spread everyone out too much. But for a smaller number of people New Orleans can allow for lots of interesting options. For winter/early spring the weather should be good compared to say Minneapolis or Toronto.

Also great food and entertainment.
New Orleans in the summer works, Bigger budget conventions avoid it due to the heat. If you're willing to sweat it out you'll get a deal, and an interesting city vs, having it at the cheapest airline hub hotel like the dumpier hotels at O'hare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.