Yet another thread about US tipping from a confused European

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)

I'm currently staying at Westin Seattle.

Glancing through the room service menu, I noticed this at the bottom of every page:

"A(n) 18% service charge (plus taxes) plus $4.50 delivery charge will be added to your bill. These charges are not tips, gratuities or service charges for employees."

Obviously they are encouraging guests to add another 15% or so on top. That (overpriced) $15 burger I was thinking of ordering is going to cost over $30.

Any time I've received a room service bill that included a 'service charge' I assumed that was the tip. Now I'm learning that maybe it wasn't? My simple logic is that tips are for service, so if there is already a service charge and a delivery fee I don't feel obliged to tip.

This maybe explains why the room service guy looked pissed at SF intercontinental when I didn't tip [again there was already a service charge, delivery charge, taxes].

So, is the Westin verbiage standard in most hotels these days?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1P
Wow, I've never seen that, and have likewise always assumed that a service charge covers service.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
That's total BS. As if you needed another reason to not order room service, that would be a big one.

Seriously, it looks like they're trying to milk foreign travelers who don't know any better, and people on expense accounts.

I'd find a nearby restaurant and eat there, just on principle.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:18 pm

As an American, if there is an automatic service charge already assessed at that rate (and an additional and highlighted delivery fee), I probably would not leave an extra tip unless they did something extraordinary for me.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:26 pm

Anytime a service charge is added I don't tip.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Anytime a service charge is added I don't tip.

Agreed. That's the service. Unless there is something spectacular which was unexpected, a service charge (and a delivery fee!) is the tip.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:28 pm

Usually an automatic service charge is the tip. However, a delivery charge is not the tip. If a pizza chain charges a delivery fee, that money may not actually be getting to the delivery person, so a tip is expected on top of the delivery charge.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I have a couple of other reasons for avoiding Westins, but this would seal the deal.

Good God!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:27 am

There have been many articles out recently about how many US hotels are eliminating room service. One such is below. Key quote:

Very few people order room service, Gee, I can't imagine why...

http://www.reviewpro.com/will-more-f...-service-22856
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Technically, a service charge and a tip are two different tips.
If a bill mentions a tip, that amount goes to the employee.
If a bill mentions a service charge, that amount goes to the company. In this case, it is up to the company to give part of the service charge to the employee as a tip.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:23 am
Suspended

I usually defend the practice of tipping as a necessary evil. I tend to denigrate those who, when coming to the US, refuse to tip.

This is going too far. As a native-born American, I have no idea what this means, I have no idea whether I have to tip above this, and it feels like I'm being taken advantage of.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Go down to the bar and order your burger to go. You'll save on the delivery fee and the service charge plus you can tip how ever you wish. Problem solved.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: EK Gold, SK Gold

Why dont the US just start charging a little more to start with, pay better wages and instead encourage customers to pay a tip when its rewarded. Today I feel forced to tip even if the service was crap.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
If a service charge is added to the food total, no tip is indicated. This language is extraordinary, & it implies that the hotel restaurant retains the service cash for itself, possibly illegally I'd add.

The delivery charge is to compensate for the time and materials used to provide in-room dining.

Marriott does the opposite of this and states that no additional tip is required on top of the service charge. At 18%, it's clear that this is a waiter-type gratuity.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, Amex Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood PP

Best to review the tip line as well. Often times it says "additional tip". When it says additional tip and there is a service charge and delivery charge, I don't tip extra.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.