Yet another thread about US tipping from a confused European

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yet another thread about US tipping from a confused European

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
There would not be such a problem, for foreigners at least, if these charges were clear on the menu displayed out front. I don't really care what they call them, I just want to know what I can afford. In other words, I want to look at the menu and see what the total cost will be. Keep the surprises for the food.

I don't visit the USA that often these days, so it generally takes me a few days there to get into the mental arithmetic required to interpret menus.

As I've said before, I find that generally you get good value in USA restaurants, even taking all the hidden (hidden upfront that is) tips and taxes into account. But it would probably reduce the angst in touristy areas if the pricing was more explicit.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would liketo hear what the manager says the service charge covers
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AY Plus, Eurobonus, Flying Blue
On my last trip to the US (Orlando), I also got to know to not accept that restaurant waiters would automatically put a tip when paying with a credit card. After having signed I noticed that the waitress had put an almost 25% tip. My fault of course to have accepted this.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FinlandGuy
On my last trip to the US (Orlando), I also got to know to not accept that restaurant waiters would automatically put a tip when paying with a credit card. After having signed I noticed that the waitress had put an almost 25% tip. My fault of course to have accepted this.
If it was AmEx, call them and complain. This is unacceptable, although other credit cards are unlikely to do anything. In fact, assuming that the 25% service charge was not stated on the menu, complain to the better business bureau, state attorney general's office, and the tourist office.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:29 pm

I think a lot of foreigners would just accept this 25% thinking, "Well that must be the way it is over there"
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:22 pm

Wow. I have never heard of this. Some restaurants have a minimum gratuity for large parties, which is somewhat reasonable. But it is always stated on the menu.

I don't know FL law, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is illegal, and just something they try with foreign guests.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
I think a lot of foreigners would just accept this 25% thinking, "Well that must be the way it is over there"
It was visible that we were foreigners. We had been to a couple of other restaurants the previous nights where the tip was always left to our discretion and I tip 15-18%. That particular night I was perhaps tired and accepted the offer of the waitress to "automatically" add the tips. The restaurant was a well known crab specialty chain.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:20 am

So it's not automatic, they "offer" to do it for you?
I wonder how they'd react if you offered to calculate the bill yourself?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by mandolino
So it's not automatic, they "offer" to do it for you?
I wonder how they'd react if you offered to calculate the bill yourself?
Yes, they offered to add the tip as I show my DC card and said I would be paying with it. I could have of course said I will calculate it myself or that I have cash and will be paying the tip in cash. No other place offered to add the tip automatically during the rest of our vacation and I won't be accepting that anymore.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:31 am

I'd just ask, "fine, how much are you going to add?"
If they said, "25%" , I'd say, "No, make it 16.472%"
No point making it too easy for them.

But I probably would've got tricked the first time, same as you did.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I always ask for receipt before giving the CC.
If I see this, I would do this.
Refuse to sign
Ask for manager to void transaction or do so myself
Enter original amount with no tip.
If not possible, cross out tip amount and rewrite total.
If all in one amount, insert breakdown on CC slip
File chargeback if necessary.
If you try to screw me, I WILL screw you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.