Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shopping area near an US airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:29 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by RipCityFlyer
PDX has a shopping center (Cascade Station) one light rail stop from the airport, and an indoor mall (Lloyd Center) about 20mins further down the same light rail line. Weather in March will likely be less than desirable, but we are completely sales tax free.
+1 on Portland. Cascade Station has all the stores mentioned by the OP except that there is an Office Depot instead of an Office Max. IKEA is also a short walk away. Connections should be easy via LAX or SEA. Plus, if you stay on the MAX light rail and go downtown, there are some excellent donuts. The last time I vistited the Lloyd center, both Marshall's and Ross were two floors (they were formerly 3 floors) and there is an ice rink right in the center of the mall. There is another Ross and a Nordstrom Rack downtown, which is free to get to via light rail from the Lloyd Center.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred
I'd vote for MSP, although that seems like a bit of a hike to buy a laptop..
Old Feb 25, 2013, 1:44 pm

ELP El Paso Airport is very close to two malls (Bassett and Cielo Vista with Marshall's and Best Buy respectively across the street).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by AirShuttle6162
I'd vote for MSP, although that seems like a bit of a hike to buy a laptop..
well it is a mix of pleasure, visiting, miles and shopping
Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you take the light rail from MSP to the MOA, you're not really outside, although the stations aren't heated along the tracks and the walls are open where the trains on tracks enter and exit. Similarly, shuttles board under a roof and very close to the doors.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Well, I tried to get to Shopping Center near IAH airport in Humble during a 9 hour layover and had fun. Found all the stores that I was looking for...

Now I would like to try to another destination. MSP is high on the list also LAX.

I am not looking neccesarily for high end expensive stores. Something like the shopping center near IAH with ROSS nearby would be ideal.
Which airport would have something similar?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Well, I tried to get to Shopping Center near IAH airport in Humble during a 9 hour layover and had fun. Found all the stores that I was looking for...

Now I would like to try to another destination. MSP is high on the list also LAX.

I am not looking neccesarily for high end expensive stores. Something like the shopping center near IAH with ROSS nearby would be ideal.
Which airport would have something similar?
Chicago now has a great outlet mall that's essential adjacent to O'Hare. They even run shuttle buses between the airport and the mall, and have package deals with many area hotels.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Not neccesary a expensive clothes shopper so basically would prefer to have a mall but definitely a Ross, Marshall within walking distance if possible
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Any opinions on AUS, SAT, LAX? Would any of these work for a near airport shopping?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

I just found Grapevine Mall near DFW > a mall with Ross, Marshalls exactly what I was looking for...but the fares to DFW are not that cheap.

Any similar mall?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Not much shopping around LAX but ONT has a big mall just a few miles away.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Dandel
TPA has International Plaza adjoining it. Could probably use the Renaissance Hotel shuttle to get there for free...
The two complexes literally share a property line in a few spots.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks beachmouse.Unfortunately it is too expensive to get to TPA from MEX.
I found SAT as a very good candidate, right next to the airport a lot of hotels with shuttles and a big mall, TJ MAxx, ROss in the area also.

So for now SAT is the best candidate, looking also to get to Deerbrook Mall around IAH..which I already know.

Also near LAX there is a small shopping center on S Sepulveda Boulevard with a Tj MAxx, Ross and Kohls but no nearby hotels...so not sure about this. Anybody has been here? is it safe to walk in the evening there?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I assume you're buying a lot of clothes if it's worthwhile to fly to the US and stay in a hotel to go shopping at Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. In that case, you might want to factor clothing sales tax into the equation. See this article for details about states with no sales tax on clothing.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
I assume you're buying a lot of clothes if it's worthwhile to fly to the US and stay in a hotel to go shopping at Marshall's, Ross, TJ Maxx, etc. In that case, you might want to factor clothing sales tax into the equation. See this article for details about states with no sales tax on clothing.
Not really. I do not buy that much. I just combine a MR with some pleasure of shopping...
Thanks for the helpful information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.