Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get new US passport vs adding pages & visa questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by MissyH
personally, I get very upset when the foreign(or U.S.) immigration officer doesn't stamp my passport.
I even went so far as to pay cash for a stamp in my passport a couple of years ago. (Liechtenstein,
where else? Yes, it's a real country... but apparently not all US CPB agents realize this )
And New Mexico is not a state, but another nation.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
This is an interesting thread ... I do all my US entries in PHL and they stamp every time.

As a result, on a 2007-issue passport, I have part of one page left, and no visas that I have to carry over. Also, I have a little time until next out-of-country trip, so will not have to pay expediting fees. Thus am I correct that under the current fee structure, I might as well just renew my passport now, instead of getting (and paying for, here in the U.S.) new pages and then having to renew in 2017?
I find that my passport is now almost always stamped upon reentry into the US. In the 90s it was maybe a 50/50 chance, but since the mid-2000s the US border people almost always stamp my passport. In the past few years I've received stamps at EWR, JFK, CLT, RDU, MIA, ORD, YYZ, YUL, and IAD.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
This is an interesting thread ... I do all my US entries in PHL and they stamp every time.
This is indeed an interesting thread. I found it especially interesting that people have had success walking into a U.S. embassy overseas and walking out 5 minutes later with new visa pages. (The one time I tried that, I had to stand in line for a half hour just to enter the embassy, and when I got there, they said they could do it...in 3 business days! Unfortunately, my trip was not that long.) In the end, I found it far easier to mail in my passport. Got it back in 2 weeks with new pages added. ^ But that was in January 2010, when it was free to have visa pages added.

As a result, on a 2007-issue passport, I have part of one page left, and no visas that I have to carry over. Also, I have a little time until next out-of-country trip, so will not have to pay expediting fees. Thus am I correct that under the current fee structure, I might as well just renew my passport now, instead of getting (and paying for, here in the U.S.) new pages and then having to renew in 2017?
On returning from a trip to Asia last month, I found myself with no completely free visa pages. Given that adding visa pages now costs almost as much as a new passport (and mine was due to expire in 2015, anyway), it was an easy decision to get a new one. Routine service is $110. Returned from my trip on 21st May, submitted the application on 23rd May, and received my new passport on 12th June (exactly 3 weeks later). My old passport arrived in a separate package a few days later.

I "lost" my Chile reciprocity fee (it expires with the passport), but my Argentina reciprocity fee and my Brazil visa from my old passport should still be valid.

Be sure to check the box to request a 52-page passport. @:-)
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I find that my passport is now almost always stamped upon reentry into the US. In the 90s it was maybe a 50/50 chance, but since the mid-2000s the US border people almost always stamp my passport. In the past few years I've received stamps at EWR, JFK, CLT, RDU, MIA, ORD, YYZ, YUL, and IAD.
I usually enter via a West Coast airport, and get stamped 25% or less. I know these days, once my book is over half filled, I'd certainly ask that they not stamp an empty page. Way too much hassle and cost to get more pages added.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Global Entry now eliminates all of the returning US entry stamps. Yet another incentive for enrollment
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by mikew99
On returning from a trip to Asia last month, I found myself with no completely free visa pages. Given that adding visa pages now costs almost as much as a new passport (and mine was due to expire in 2015, anyway), it was an easy decision to get a new one. Routine service is $110. Returned from my trip on 21st May, submitted the application on 23rd May, and received my new passport on 12th June (exactly 3 weeks later). My old passport arrived in a separate package a few days later.

Be sure to check the box to request a 52-page passport. @:-)
Advice I was looking for. Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Thus am I correct that under the current fee structure, I might as well just renew my passport now, instead of getting (and paying for, here in the U.S.) new pages and then having to renew in 2017?

A new passport costs about $110 and you can get a 52 page one for that price

If you use round numbers, and assume it's good for ten years, that's $0.92 per month.

If you add additional pages, which won't be 52 pages, that's $82. Unless your current passport has more than seven years and six months of validity left to it, it costs less (on a per month basis) to just renew.

This is of course assuming there are no additional fees for replacing things in the current passport or exceptions like that.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by cordelli
A new passport costs about $110 and you can get a 52 page one for that price

If you use round numbers, and assume it's good for ten years, that's $0.92 per month.

If you add additional pages, which won't be 52 pages, that's $82. Unless your current passport has more than seven years and six months of validity left to it, it costs less (on a per month basis) to just renew.

This is of course assuming there are no additional fees for replacing things in the current passport or exceptions like that.
Also an excellent calculation. I'll only be "giving up" four-plus years of remaining passport life, and -- as mentioned above -- I'm in a "sweet spot" where I don't have to expedite anything (assuming I get off my rear and actually do this), so renewal is the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.