Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Does my friend need a U.S. Transit Visa (is there such a thing?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold

I am booking an award ticket for a couple friends, from Ukraine to Mexico. The itinerary looks like this:

Ukraine
to
Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
to
Boston, MA (BOS)
to
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
to
Mexico

The question is, since my friends will have a layover in Boston and Philadelphia, will we need to apply for a transit visa? I'm based out of BOS and was going to buy a plane ticket in order to visit them in the secure area, as I know they can't go outside, but I couldn't find concrete information regarding the subject question.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The US doesn't have transit. Your friend will be processed by CBP at BOS and then proceed as a domestic pax to PHL. Because the USA does not have exit formalities (as in an exit conformance checkpoint), he will simply board his Mexico flight and then enter Mexico upon arrival there.

Whether your friends need a visa is determined based upon a number of factors which you do not provide, namely country of citizenship and country of residence.

You can look up visa requirements in the same system used by air carriers at:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the info. I will look into that link. They are Ukrainians living in Ukraine.

Originally Posted by Often1
The US doesn't have transit. Your friend will be processed by CBP at BOS and then proceed as a domestic pax to PHL. Because the USA does not have exit formalities (as in an exit conformance checkpoint), he will simply board his Mexico flight and then enter Mexico upon arrival there.

Whether your friends need a visa is determined based upon a number of factors which you do not provide, namely country of citizenship and country of residence.

You can look up visa requirements in the same system used by air carriers at:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...sa-and-health/
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
There is no such thing as a transit visa for the US because the US really doesn't allow for the concept of transit - every one is required to clear immigration at their first point of entry into the US.

In your friend's case, they will need to get a visa for the US.

Upon arrival in BOS they are going to have to go through immigration, retrieve their bags, and then go through customs. They will then be outside the secure area so no need for you to buy a ticket to see them. They will then change terminals and go back through the security for their flight to PHL.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:52 pm
Suspended

It would be much easier for them to avoid the US.

They could fly Ukraine-FRA-Mexico with Lufthansa or Ukraine-LHR-Mexico with BA without the need to transit the US.

Transiting the US can be a real pain, make sure they are aware of that!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

I think the link and the answers provided makes it clear this itinerary will be very difficult. Ukrainians have a difficult time getting a visa to the USA as a tourists (pretty much impossible unless they are on a work/study program.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

That's why I asked!

I think we under appreciate our (as Americans) ability to travel pretty much anywhere without these types of hassles.

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
It would be much easier for them to avoid the US.

They could fly Ukraine-FRA-Mexico with Lufthansa or Ukraine-LHR-Mexico with BA without the need to transit the US.

Transiting the US can be a real pain, make sure they are aware of that!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Azurik
That's why I asked!

I think we under appreciate our (as Americans) ability to travel pretty much anywhere without these types of hassles.
Indeed

Your Ukrainian friend would have to apply for a US visa and it would end up being a right hassle.
Americans are lucky as they get to go to a lot of countries visa free. I am a UK citizen but also get to visit a wide range of countries with minimal effort. Ukrainains on the other hand have a much harder time travelling around than we do.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Azurik
I'm based out of BOS and was going to buy a plane ticket in order to visit them in the secure area, as I know they can't go outside, but I couldn't find concrete information regarding the subject question.
If Boston is like most US airports, they'll leave the secure international area and then have to reclear security before going to their domestic gate. So you probably don't even need to buy a ticket unless their transfer time is so tight that they can't linger before going to their PHL gate.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Yes, your friends will need to apply for a visa to travel to the United States even if they are simply transiting. Go to U.S. Department of State website and do a search on transit (C) visas for eligibility and requirements. If they intend to stay longer than 24 hours, they need a visitor (B) visa.

As a previous poster said, you don't even need to buy a ticket to visit them airside. Instead, you can meet them outside Customs and then board Massport Bus 11 to transfer to another terminal.

Last edited by Peregrine415; Jun 24, 2013 at 8:24 pm
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Solution is simple - don't route via US. If they try to get US visa just for this air travel, hassle going thru to get US visa does not worth this process at all - I'd rather do root canal without anesthesia.

Trust me on this - before getting my US citizenship I was on H1 work visa and got it five times in my passport. It was sure hell for H1 and you can imagine what it would like for B1/B2.

Plus, they will need to pay for application fee which is non refundable and visa fee - they are looking for couple of hundred $ out of pocket expenses for each person.

Avoid US, problem solved.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 6:38 am

And even if the US did do proper international transfers, that itinerary would still require passing into the country as it includes a domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.