Wiki Posts
Search

Superfast US passport renewal - 11 days regular

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Superfast US passport renewal - 11 days regular

My daughter is under 16, so her renewal comes up more often (5yrs). We are traveling in mid-Feb and the State Department says 4-6 week turnaround (like it pretty much always says). But I figure this is just past peak time, all the holiday travel is done, and most people did their renewals in the spring/summer, so we roll the dice - we don't expedite, we don't go to the Norwalk office with a ticket like last time.

And...

Passport to post office at 4pm on January 3, new passport arrives in the mail at 11am on January 14. Wow! Regular service in less than 11 days! I'm floored at how quickly our government can work.

But I guess this is the perfect storm. January 3 was the first day the post office was open this year, the first day after the holidays when everyone was traveling, and there must have been no backlog over the holidays.

Cheers,
daloosh
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:57 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Great experience. If your daughter's application listed upcoming travel in February, could that have been a key to getting fast service via the regular channels?

We sent our renewals in a few days ago to Philadelphia with no upcoming travel dates listed, so we'll see how that goes.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, HHonors Gold
Hmm, Thanks for the news! My wife's passport is coming up for renewal in April so now might be the best time to do it!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The last couple of renewals we've put through from our household have come back within two weeks regardless of time of year. Very efficient.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Good to hear as I am getting my photo this afternoon and sending it out tomorrow (I hope)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
are you guys requesting three extra sets of pages with your new passport?

is that still allowed? or do you pay more for each set you request
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I had a similar experience at the end of '09, when I sent my passport in to have pages added. I sent it by certified mail to the Philadelphia address and opted for standard (i.e., free) processing - the passport made it back to me within two weeks.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I live in China and just got my US passport renewed at the Consulate. 6 days from drop off to pick up.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA, previously of CO.
My sister submitted her application for a first time passport on Dec. 28th and got it in the mail last week. Pretty quick for first timers too!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Seriously? Here in Norway, you go to a Police stadion, do the application, take a picture and fingerprints, and you receive it within 10 days - usually much quicker. I think I had my last passport in the mail after two. If you haven't received it within 10 days, you mest report it lost.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had it done overnight in San Francisco last month. Drop it of on Tuesday, picked it up on Wednesday.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by martinfoss
Seriously? Here in Norway, you go to a Police stadion, do the application, take a picture and fingerprints, and you receive it within 10 days - usually much quicker. I think I had my last passport in the mail after two. If you haven't received it within 10 days, you mest report it lost.
Yes, but you live in Norway, which is a first-world country. The US, not so much...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Her passport card came back on Tues. January 17, after the MLK holiday, in a separate mailing. In fact, the three parts (passport, passport card, old passport) are all coming in separate mailings, and the original passport hasn't arrived yet.

It may not have helped, but the Post Office person suggested we put in our February travel date. We didn't get my daughter any extra pages (which you still can request) because her passport will renew again in five years, she'll still be under 16.

Wow, that Norway turnaround is fast, here 11 days seems miraculous to me!

daloosh
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:45 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
We sent our renewals in a few days ago to Philadelphia with no upcoming travel dates listed, so we'll see how that goes.
Renewed passports arrived 16 days after we mailed the renewal application.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Renewed passports arrived 16 days after we mailed the renewal application.
That's pretty good, not quite as good as 11 days, but still terrific service!

So the passport came 11 days after submission, the passport card 14 days (after a holiday weekend) and the original passport came at 15 days. All in all, a quite good run, with no losses.

Interestingly, the instructions for our daughter's passport asked we bring documentation that she was our daughter, in the form of a birth certificate listing the parents. We expected that they would keep the birth certificate, as well as the old passport, with the submission -- to be returned later. However, the P.O. person made a copy of the birth certificate and gave us back the original. She submitted the copy with the old passport, and in the return, we rec'd the old passport and the copy of the birth certificate. Don't get it.

daloosh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.