Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by duranza
Update: Need to see if I can use the 55k USAIR miles we each have for a multi city flight.
Will be for Sept 2014 and I am now looking to see what is available and how much it is using this Sept for an example.
Any help is appreciated.. when I look I can see PHL -MUN or FRA or Frankfurt then to CPH and back from MIA available for purchase but not for award.
Plan is to fly to CPH and then cruise back down to MIA and fly home to ROC

So I need to call and ask correct ?
If you don't see award seats on US or UA websites, there may not be any. Try searching UA though - you may be able to find something that doesn't use US metal. Multi-city with 2 legs will be priced the same as a roundtrip to the most expensive destination, so it should be 60K miles in coach. In any case you will have to call but do not bother until you have found *A flights with award seats.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
If you don't see award seats on US or UA websites, there may not be any. Try searching UA though - you may be able to find something that doesn't use US metal. Multi-city with 2 legs will be priced the same as a roundtrip to the most expensive destination, so it should be 60K miles in coach. In any case you will have to call but do not bother until you have found *A flights with award seats.
I don't have all the miles in United BUT I do have 33k in UR, I have 55k in USAir, again , I won't need the seats till Sept 2014 and that is not presently available, I just wanted to do a mock booking. thanks

ETA: So I can transfer United miles to USair then? I didn't think so since US is merging with AA

Last edited by duranza; Sep 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold
I don't have the miles in United, I have them in USAir
Go back and read post #1 of this thread.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold

United miles mean squat, this is the US airways booking thread. You are just using Uniteds website to find the seats you want as US doesn't allow the searching of partner awards. Then when you call you know what 'should' have availability.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I don't have all the miles in United BUT I do have 33k in UR, I have 55k in USAir, again , I won't need the seats till Sept 2014 and that is not presently available, I just wanted to do a mock booking. thanks

ETA: So I can transfer United miles to USair then? I didn't think so since US is merging with AA
You can search UA (or ANA) for Star Alliance availability and call US to book the seats you find. Pay no attention to the mileage requirements, your open jaw trip will be 60K miles in coach if booked with US miles. You would likely be better off booking U.S.-Europe with 30K UA miles, and book the flight within the U.S. with cash or WN points, or U.S. miles as part of a multi-city trip within the U.S. If or when seats on US become available, you can search online at USAir for flights.
US may be merging with AA, or not. If the merger goes through, no one knows exactly what will happen or when. In any case, award seats should be wide open for September within a few months.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:33 pm
zh

Programs: TK *G, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond,UA Silver
HI... I can see award C class on TK flight from MHD-IST and AC from IST-YYZ on ANA, EF, KVS, AE, and UA. Any reason why US call centre cannot see the TK or AC flights regardless of what day I ask for?

Thx.
ZH
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
First time using US miles, I realize that one way awards are not available on US, but is this also the case for *A bookings? I am looking for a one way Continental US to Central America ticket. Have 30k miles and think its only good for one way on United or Avianca Taca.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by FAA1996
First time using US miles, I realize that one way awards are not available on US, but is this also the case for *A bookings? I am looking for a one way Continental US to Central America ticket. Have 30k miles and think its only good for one way on United or Avianca Taca.
USDM partner awards are on a return basis. if you need one way you will need to tap in to another *A ff program.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zh
HI... I can see award C class on TK flight from MHD-IST and AC from IST-YYZ on ANA, EF, KVS, AE, and UA. Any reason why US call centre cannot see the TK or AC flights regardless of what day I ask for?

Thx.
ZH
Are you looking for I class?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yenakad
I issued few months ago the following routing all segements in C, some US domestic in F:

BKK-ZRH TG
ZRH-BOS LX
BOS-IAH UA
IAH-MEX UA
MEX-EWR UA
LGA-BOS US
BOS-ZRH LX
ZRH-ARN LX
ARN-BKK TG

Now I would like to change the date of the flight ZRH-ARN-BKK one or two days earlier. There is no space but I can change to another routing ZRH-LON LX and LON-BKK BR. In meantime the BKK-ZRH is available with LX which I would prefere that I can use the arrival Lounge in ZRH. I really dont want to take the risk that I loose the other segments. Can the US Call Center change the date and routing via LON or other city in Europe back to BKK? And at the same time switch the airlines for the segment BKK-ZRH from TG to LX? Any concern that they loos my other segments? What is again the max segments 8 or 9 segments?
That should not be a problem. Some agents may insist that you have to cancel the entire award and re-deposit the miles. That is not true. HUACA and find another agent.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
USDM partner awards are on a return basis. if you need one way you will need to tap in to another *A ff program.
Any suggestions on what to do with 30k miles? They seem to be pretty useless to me at this point. Can I convert them to something else? Pay for hotels with them?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Any suggestions on what to do with 30k miles?
Call me old-fashioned, but I would use them for a regular ol' domestic US award.

(Or within Europe or between Hawaiian islands)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any suggestions on what to do with 30k miles? They seem to be pretty useless to me at this point. Can I convert them to something else? Pay for hotels with them?
During the promo when you get 100% bonus when buying miles, buy 3,000 miles, and get 3,000 miles bonus. Then redeem 35K miles for a US to Mexico & Central America award in economy?

The award chart is here. There are several things you can do with 35K miles.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by boneplay
Hello, with all the talk of LH availability being hard for US to see, if I am seeing availability on ANA, Aeroplan, and United websites for LH business seats from the USA to FRA, should I expect any problem for US to see/be able to offer these seats? Don't want to get my hopes up.....thanks for your responses!
Unfortunately, you may still run into problem. US sometimes doesn't see LH seats that all other programs show.

In the last two weeks, I tried numerous agents in two weeks' time to snap MUC-HKG on FCO-VIE-MUC-HKG. All other programs see the seats, but US doesn't. So I ended up doing FCO-ZRH-PEK-HKG.

You have to check with the agents to really know if they see the seats.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Award booking --- beware

I'd like to pass on info about a problem encountered with a recent US award booking. It was an open jaw TPE>SIN>DPS, return BKK>TPE, 60K miles in C. It was originally ticketed in May 2013.

When phoning (Sep 15) to enquire about a change, the agent reviewed the original booking and did some miles calculation and said the open jaw was not OK due to the fact that the miles between BKK>TPE were less than the open jaw portion (DPS>BKK).

I asked her why it would have been ticketed 4 months ago if it wasn't legal without any mention of this problem. I avoid any probs with them whenever possible, period. She went off, chatted with her supervisor for 20 minutes, came back and proposed a change. I said I wanted to speak with her supervisor.

Supervisor came on the phone, spoke for a few seconds and then hung up. I immediately phoned back and asked the new agent to look at the res and confirm it was OK. She said it was, it was ticketed, end of story, or so I thought.

Today I check online, and segments of the res have been cancelled without any warning. I phoned in, asked what was up, was told they had no idea why an unnamed agent had cancelled parts of the award, but said they couldn't find the seats anymore. After 1h40m on the phone, the end of the saga was: "We can't do anything except redeposit the miles for free. You'll have to make alternative arrangements."

It's the worst CS experience I've had with US in 8 years of booking awards with them. A complaint has gone in but I doubt they'll do anything. I'm disgusted. I could just about accept a call after many months saying there are probs with your award and we need to rebook. But the cancellation without notice is the really disgusting part.

This comes after a similar problem with a two-person award which we changed and the agent simply cancelled one intermediate segment. I saw it later in the day and phoned back and the new agent saw it was a problem (leaving us stranded in FRA with no FRA>USA segment). Fortunately she was able to restore the res to what it was before.

Conclusion: I really think their res dept is out of control. Beware when you think your bookings are finalized. I suggest checking them regularly to make sure nothing has been changed.

Last edited by Matthew_DC; Sep 18, 2013 at 2:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.