Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: FB Gold
Cancellation

Quote from Post #1:

Can I cancel an award after it's ticketed?
Yes (as long as travel hasn't commenced), but you won't get the miles or fees back*. (* = Chairman's members receive free mileage re-deposit - all others must pay a fee. Taxes will be refunded to all members.)
What time-frame are we talking about here? Is less than 24 hours prior departure still OK to cancel an award? Miles will be re-deposited for a fee, right?

Thanks for clarifying!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:15 am

I have an itinerary on hold for 3 days. One segment included UA flight. When I check on the confirmation code for UA for flight, it states "not ticketed" and reservation will expire by midnight tonight.

So does this mean that my UA segment is not on hold till September 24th and if not ticketed today, I will lose the UA portion?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Help with 3 award tkts BDL > MBJ

Hey all,
Looking for RT low award tickets from BDL to MBJ. A little flex on dates, depart 11/14-11/18 and return 7/8 days later, 11/21-11/26.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by d20513
Hey all,
Looking for RT low award tickets from BDL to MBJ. A little flex on dates, depart 11/14-11/18 and return 7/8 days later, 11/21-11/26.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
You can actually do this very easily on the web site. Just log in, check "use miles" and "my dates are flexible".

35,000 mile round trip fares are available on BDL-MBJ outbound on 11/15, 17, 18 and back on 11/20-22 and 24-25. You can book this on the web site.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by metoo
I have an itinerary on hold for 3 days. One segment included UA flight. When I check on the confirmation code for UA for flight, it states "not ticketed" and reservation will expire by midnight tonight.

So does this mean that my UA segment is not on hold till September 24th and if not ticketed today, I will lose the UA portion?
It should be on hold for 3 days. If you have a segment with SQ, it may not hold, but UA should be fine.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by buschoi
It should be on hold for 3 days. If you have a segment with SQ, it may not hold, but UA should be fine.
Thank you!!!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by phlwookie
You can actually do this very easily on the web site. Just log in, check "use miles" and "my dates are flexible".

35,000 mile round trip fares are available on BDL-MBJ outbound on 11/15, 17, 18 and back on 11/20-22 and 24-25. You can book this on the web site.

Thanks for Quick response! However, when I try this, I only see availability for 1 award ticket, there are 3 of us, including my 2yr old. Would you say it's advisable to try to book 3 separate award tickets? I know I cannot combine them later, which may be problematic, as I'll be *A gold by time of travel (bags, possible upgrade(s)) but also need to ensure we have seats together.

Thoughts?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by KL803
What time-frame are we talking about here? Is less than 24 hours prior departure still OK to cancel an award? Miles will be re-deposited for a fee, right?
Theoretically you can cancell an itinerary until 1h before the first flight departure. When the flight will be closed at check-in and you're not checked in, the no-show message will be sent out what makes your ticket worthless, according USDM T&C.

I would suggest to cancell as soon you know it, or at least 24hrs before departure to be on the safe side (with US)...
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Thanks for Quick response! However, when I try this, I only see availability for 1 award ticket, there are 3 of us, including my 2yr old. Would you say it's advisable to try to book 3 separate award tickets? I know I cannot combine them later, which may be problematic, as I'll be *A gold by time of travel (bags, possible upgrade(s)) but also need to ensure we have seats together.

Thoughts?
Ah, that complicates things, as does Thanksgiving some. I do see that available outbound on the 12th and back on the 20th on US if that can work. The KVS Tool shows 3 seats open on 11/17 and 18 on UA 5144 BDL-EWR and UA 1449 EWR-MBJ.

As to the return, UA 1450 MBJ-EWR connecting to UA 3912 EWR-BDL as available for 3 award seats on 11/22 and 1450 on 11/25 connecting to UA 3916.

I thought AC via YYZ might be another option but I didn't see availability on them in just a quick search and it seems you'd need to double connect.

You'll need to call US to book the UA flights.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:30 am

Ah, that complicates things, as does Thanksgiving some. I do see that available outbound on the 12th and back on the 20th on US if that can work. The KVS Tool shows 3 seats open on 11/17 and 18 on UA 5144 BDL-EWR and UA 1449 EWR-MBJ.

As to the return, UA 1450 MBJ-EWR connecting to UA 3912 EWR-BDL as available for 3 award seats on 11/22 and 1450 on 11/25 connecting to UA 3916.

I thought AC via YYZ might be another option but I didn't see availability on them in just a quick search and it seems you'd need to double connect.

Thanks, AGAIN! Seems like 11/17 - 11/25 will work, did you see these all as 35k awards?
Wasn't farmiliar with KVS - will look into that too..

Thanks again for the leg work
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze

Thoughts?
Ok - I'll give it a shot. There are three seats available on several flights for the 17th and 18th on US. Returning, there are 3 seats available on several United itineraries. Looks like you could do a *Alliance award. You'll have to call in to book the *A/Partner award. Can't be searched or booked on the US website.

Sample dates/flights:

Depart Sunday, November 17th - US 1740 leaves BDL 7:45 AM - cnx thru CLT and arrive MBJ on US 826 at 2:26 PM.

Return Monday, November 25th - UA 1450 leaves MBJ 3:38 PM - cnx thru EWR and arrive BDL on UA 3916 at 11:07 PM.

Several options for that Sunday departure. Also flights available on the 18th.

EDIT - I see phlwookie beat me to it!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by bevoinva
Ok - I'll give it a shot. There are three seats available on several flights for the 17th and 18th on US. Returning, there are 3 seats available on several United itineraries. Looks like you could do a *Alliance award. You'll have to call in to book the *A/Partner award. Can't be searched or booked on the US website.

Sample dates/flights:

Depart Sunday, November 17th - US 1740 leaves BDL 7:45 AM - cnx thru CLT and arrive MBJ on US 826 at 2:26 PM.

Return Monday, November 25th - UA 1450 leaves MBJ 3:38 PM - cnx thru EWR and arrive BDL on UA 3916 at 11:07 PM.

Several options for that Sunday departure. Also flights available on the 18th.

EDIT - I see phlwookie beat me to it!

No edit needed.. You may have just taught me something else.. I thought we were unable to mix and match metal when booking with us miles..

?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:40 am

Just noticing you too said out on US and return on UA - can I do this with just US miles?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:42 am

No edit needed.. You may have just taught me something else.. I thought we were unable to mix and match metal when booking with us miles..

?
You can mix and match but then it is considered a * Alliance / Partner award. Same price as a saver US award so in this case it would still be 35,000 miles. Only issue is that you can't search or book partner awards on line so you'll have to call in to book. I believe the telephone booking fee is waived since you can't book on-line.

Also - if you want an easy (and free) way to search partner availability you can use United's site or http://beta.awardtravelr.com/ among others. Should match up pretty well with what you can get using your US miles.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:43 am

Just noticing you too said out on US and return on UA - can I do this with just US miles?
Yes! You could even mix and match connecting flights going and coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.