Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requesting a refund due to medical emergency

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
I'm in the same situation and understand that my chances are slim to nothing to get USAir to at least drop the change fee. However, my question is what happens when the fare class on the new flight is lower than the originally purchased? I know the other way around I'd have to pay for the fare difference but what happens in my case. Do I get the difference in cash/refund to CC or the remaining credit stays tied to the original ticket. If latter, am I to be assessed the change fee the second time when I try to use the remaining credit?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by outtolunch
Why? Don't most people who need to change/cancel a flight have a "good reason"? It's not the airline's responsibility to insure the customer who purchases a non changeable ticket and fails to purchase travel insurance.
There are good reasons or bad reasons and then there are emergencies. Clearly the OP's situation and mine were emergency issues. Its not like I was trying to get home early to catch an episode of American Idol or the like.

But it is futile to argue. US Air makes the rules and you either agree to abide by them or choose a carrier that is more customer friendly and there are carriers out there that are MUCH MORE customer friendly. In my case, WN was happy to accommodate me for a price I thought was reasonable and US was not. WNs F/A even blocked the seat next to me so I didnt have anyone to bump my leg. That isnt just great customer service, its true customer LUV!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by coswellnc
There are good reasons or bad reasons and then there are emergencies. Clearly the OP's situation and mine were emergency issues. Its not like I was trying to get home early to catch an episode of American Idol or the like.
This is distinction without a difference. IMHO, everyone who "must" change a ticket has an "emergency". Making allowances for these events just swallows the rule.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Thank you all for the insight. I guess I didn't mention that my grand mother is most likely not going to travel within a year of when the ticket was issued (feb 1) so she understands that she will be losing $150, but she is most likely going to lose the entire $584 which is the remainder of the ticket because she will not fly again before feb 1. And this is a restricted first class fare.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
This is distinction without a difference. IMHO, everyone who "must" change a ticket has an "emergency". Making allowances for these events just swallows the rule.
How about if you can furnish a note from a doctor with the diagnosis and specific instructions against traveling? Would that make a difference in your eyes?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLstudent
Thank you all for the insight. I guess I didn't mention that my grand mother is most likely not going to travel within a year of when the ticket was issued (feb 1) so she understands that she will be losing $150, but she is most likely going to lose the entire $584 which is the remainder of the ticket because she will not fly again before feb 1. And this is a restricted first class fare.
Then it wouldn't really matter. NOBODY issues refunds -- only credits, which almost always expire in 1 year. Some airlines would let someone else travel on the credit, however.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by todorovic
How about if you can furnish a note from a doctor with the diagnosis and specific instructions against traveling? Would that make a difference in your eyes?
No. That's what travel insurance is for.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:58 am
Suspended

No. That's what travel insurance is for.
I don't dispute this, but I can tell you that my family is in a similar situation and my brother-in-law just had United give him a full refund (or at least waive change fee) on a ticket when he produced a hospital note. And I am likely to try the same thing for a ticket for my wife, who is scheduled to fly US with me in a few weeks but won't be able to go because of her father's dire health situation.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by todorovic
I'm in the same situation and understand that my chances are slim to nothing to get USAir to at least drop the change fee. However, my question is what happens when the fare class on the new flight is lower than the originally purchased? I know the other way around I'd have to pay for the fare difference but what happens in my case. Do I get the difference in cash/refund to CC or the remaining credit stays tied to the original ticket. If latter, am I to be assessed the change fee the second time when I try to use the remaining credit?
This just happened to me. The $150 change fee was waived, as a "one-time exception." If the repriced fare is lower than what you paid, you will NOT get a refund. You will simply eat the difference. That's what you get for purchasing a non-refundable ticket, according to the CP desk.

Now, if you are a fight cat (like I happen to be), you could call the executive offices and throw a fit. Perhaps they will grant you the difference as a voucher as a courtesy, but you will NOT get a refund to your credit card.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by masonuc
I don't dispute this, but I can tell you that my family is in a similar situation and my brother-in-law just had United give him a full refund (or at least waive change fee) on a ticket when he produced a hospital note. And I am likely to try the same thing for a ticket for my wife, who is scheduled to fly US with me in a few weeks but won't be able to go because of her father's dire health situation.
I say try. It can't hurt to ask nicely with the hospital note. And if you need any assistance, I might be able to help. PM me.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:23 pm

Do me a favor if you please. Send your comments and request through the Customer Relations portal on the web site and let's see if it gets to the right person first time around.

My contact has requested feedback regarding the performance of the new system. So try it and let us or me know by PM if the response was acceptable.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
It's nice that United cut your brother-in-law a break and gave him something he didn't pay for. However, it would not have been an injustice if they would have chosen not to do so.

As for the additional cost of refundable tickets vis-a-vis your valuation of the extra flexibility, they post the prices of both and you make your choice. Choosing a restricted ticket means that you choose to self-insure (or insure elsewhere). Which isn't to say that you can't try to get them to waive the rules and give you a break, but understand that they would be giving you something you chose not to buy.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by PineyBob
Do me a favor if you please. Send your comments and request through the Customer Relations portal on the web site and let's see if it gets to the right person first time around.

My contact has requested feedback regarding the performance of the new system. So try it and let us or me know by PM if the response was acceptable.
Bob,

I had an "emergency" at work last week that caused me to miss my flight. Should I send my request to refund this flight even though I am not entitled to a refund through this portal as well?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:16 pm

Bob,

I had an "emergency" at work last week that caused me to miss my flight. Should I send my request to refund this flight even though I am not entitled to a refund through this portal as well?
Airlines often make "One time exceptions" for unique or special circumstances such as medical emergencies.

Under their CoC they are not obligated to do a single thing. You can roll your eyes all you like but fact is any airline will go outside the CoC in the interest of customer goodwill and/or fairness.

In my roll as Customer Advocate to US Airways for FFOCUS I've seen US Airways do some pretty decent things these last few months when they didn't have to.

I don't publicize the outcome of any outreach I may undertake and I'm not starting today. If those I've assisted choose to that's on them.

My roll at FFOCUS has changed and so has the organization. We seek to Educate and Advocate on behalf of the customer. That's what I'm attempting to do.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PineyBob
Under their CoC they are not obligated to do a single thing. You can roll your eyes all you like but fact is any airline will go outside the CoC in the interest of customer goodwill and/or fairness.
IMO this is the heart of the issue. US absolutely doesn't have to do anything but, in the instance of exceptional customer service, they probably should. They will likely retain a few customers if they do, and loose a few if they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.