Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running out of overhead space

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:27 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Write-up?
Originally Posted by ayeleswarapu
Report possibly to some authority? Your interpretation is good as mine...
Write-up: To file a complaint with the airline and, in this case, the FAA. The FAA gets a little testy when people go around proclaiming that "The FAA mandates X" when the FAA does not.

Such people who lie about FARs should be severely punished. That's gross abuse of authority.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:06 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by the_jeff
Where as US allows anything as long as it fits in the bin (or even if it does not fit, who cares, jam it in anyways.--bring as much weight as you want as long as it fits, though the bins are supposed to have limits).
This is simply not true!! You are allowed one bag and a SMALL carry on. The agents shouldn't let these items get by you. When 173 people feel they are too good to place that "small" carry on beneath the seat in front of them, you run out of space quickly plus winter coats. I am so sure American NEVER has these issues. Give me a break!! My AA friends complain about the SAME things!!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:49 am

The allowed US size requirement for carry-ons is higher than other airlines:

US Size requirements
Up to 51 in/129 cm (11 x 14 x 26 in or 28 x 35 x 66 cm). I think a 26" suitcase is way too big. I'm surprised the number crunchers didn't think to reduce this to get more checked baggage fees. No weight limit mentioned.

Delta:

Weigh less than 40 pounds (18 kg).
Not exceed 45 inches (length + width + height).
Fit easily in our SizeCheck® unit (approximately 22"x14"x9").
Fit in an overhead bin or underneath the seat in front of you.

AA:

You can carry on one bag plus one personal item per passenger as long as:

They weigh no more than 40 lbs/18 kgs

The bag is no more than 45 inches and the personal item is no more than 36 inches when you add the length + width + height so that it fits in an overhead bin or under the seat
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: UA, AA
I always wondered what the cost/benefit tradeoff would be for them staffing a baggage handler on the plane during boarding to help with overheads. Seems to me they could cut turnaround time in half if a professional was grabbing bags from the farthest-most back passenger (the critical path person, so to speak) at any given time and stuffing them up while shooing them into their seats.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
I always wondered what the cost/benefit tradeoff would be for them staffing a baggage handler on the plane during boarding to help with overheads. Seems to me they could cut turnaround time in half if a professional was grabbing bags from the farthest-most back passenger (the critical path person, so to speak) at any given time and stuffing them up while shooing them into their seats.
that might be a good thing for larger planes, quick turns, late equipment, etc... particularly if they were empowered to move things so they fit right, could get people to NOT put up very small items and jackets until the very end, etc... so that overheads could fit maximum amounts of luggage. Are you listening US???
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:22 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by BostonMark
Since bag charges people DO seem to try bringing more stuff on board. AA seems to have people at the security lineup pulling people out and making them check bags that don't fit overhead requirements. UA also seems to enforce this more pre-security. US needs to do that too in order to try and reduce the likelihood of too many huge bags overhead.
I usually roll with a Euro-legal roller and a small tumi laptop case. That said, exactly how is an airline rep going to enforce anything "pre-security?" I can/have/will continue to ignore any non-TSA or LEO prior to security and that's including an airline rep telling me to check a bag.

Moreover, how exactly would you do this absent hubs or airports where the entire terminal beyond security is dedicated to one airline? I would summarily ignore an employee or contractor of airline X when flying airline Y. The number of terminals where US is the sole tenant has got to be pretty small--one pier in DCA, LGA, and ???

What they need to do is boot people at the gate trying to roll on the kitchen sink.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by flight62
This is simply not true!! You are allowed one bag and a SMALL carry on. The agents shouldn't let these items get by you. When 173 people feel they are too good to place that "small" carry on beneath the seat in front of them, you run out of space quickly plus winter coats. I am so sure American NEVER has these issues. Give me a break!! My AA friends complain about the SAME things!!
Drives me insane that this happens on all airlines. If I, at 6'4" and flying in the middle seat in Y this past Monday AM from CLT-ORD, can put my laptop bag under the seat and sit on my winter coat while having the 5'2" guy in front of me recline, it would be nice if everyone else could do so as well to make room for the larger bags to go in the overheads.

I sometimes have taken out and auctioned out the small bags, coats, etc. that should go under the seat in the past to avoid having to check my rollaboard in certain situations, though the majority of the time I just have to check it and wait at baggage claim.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by goheelswks
I sometimes have taken out and auctioned out the small bags, coats, etc. that should go under the seat in the past to avoid having to check my rollaboard in certain situations, though the majority of the time I just have to check it and wait at baggage claim.
You take people's personal belongings out of the overhead and tell them they should go under the seat?

I can put whatever I want in the overhead. There is no FAR that says I have to place one under my seat. If I want to place two overhead, thats my prerogative. If there is not enough space, US needs to address this by changing the allowance of two bags, or at least enforce their current rules on size.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
I can put whatever I want in the overhead.
Give me a break. I am constantly amazed at the self stuffed, self entitled few who think they own the plane. What is it going to hurt to try and make the experience a bit more pleasant for all. I have a visual of the obliviate who will stick his roll a board in sideways on the long side, put the laptop behind that and then the coat - voila - a whole overhead taken up - now, where is the FA with my pre-departure drink?

I am CP for 10 years running and Plat/EXP for the last five as well. I never travel without my briefcase underneath the seat. As others have posted - just wait till take-off and slide it behind your knees. And please, figure out some geometry and put the roll a board in wheels first. Why is this so hard?

Last edited by brobab; Jan 15, 2009 at 7:33 pm Reason: I can't type/spell
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: USAirways CP
I was on a red eye from LAX on Monday to CLT and they announced before boarding that anyone in zones 6,7,and 8 would have to gate check their luggage.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brobab
Give me a break. I am constantly amazed at the self stuffed, self entitled few who think they own the plane. What is it going to hurt to try and make the experience a bit more pleasant for all. I have a visual of the obliviate who will stick his roll a board in sideways on the long side, put the laptop behind that and then the coat - voila - a whole overhead taken up - now, where is the FA with my pre-departure drink?

I am CP for 10 years running and Plat/EXP for the last five as well. I never travel without my briefcase underneath the seat. As others have posted - just wait till take-off and slide it behind your knees. And please, figure out some geometry and put the roll a board in wheels first. Why is this so hard?
Since US allows a 26 inch long rollaboard, can anyone confirm that these actually fit longways with wheels out or in? Or do these folks have to put them in sideways?
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Since US allows a 26 inch long rollaboard, can anyone confirm that these actually fit longways with wheels out or in? Or do these folks have to put them in sideways?
When I take mine on, I have put it in sideways, it won't fit otherwise. Most times I prefer to check, but once in a while I do carry it on, and I always check with the check-in folks ahead of time to make sure it is OK.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Since US allows a 26 inch long rollaboard,...
It may have been a 26", but going forward, it's 22" max (I think this is the popular domestic size carry-on). Not sure, but I think it's the A321 that a 22" will fit overhead compartment with the wheels facing out.

From website re carry-on baggage:

Size requirements*
Beginning February 1, 2009, up to 45 in/115 cm (14 x 9 x 22 in or 36 x 23 x 56 cm)
Beginning February 1, 2009, up to 40 lbs/18 kg
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:09 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I'm pretty certain that all the Airbii will fit a 22" roller wheels in or out.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by kudzu
It may have been a 26", but going forward, it's 22" max (I think this is the popular domestic size carry-on). Not sure, but I think it's the A321 that a 22" will fit overhead compartment with the wheels facing out.

From website re carry-on baggage:
They must have just changed that. It wasn't there a couple of days ago when I posted about 26" being too big. Let's hope they enforce it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.