Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running out of overhead space

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick
You take people's personal belongings out of the overhead and tell them they should go under the seat?
Absolutely not--I take the coats, small bags, etc. out and ask if the other pax wouldn't mind finding another place for their small items so that other pax can fit larger bags up in the OH. This is usually not a problem except occasionally when they already have bags underfoot, in which case they are obviously correct to use the OH.

Quite often, IME, people just throw bags haphazardly into the OH's and waste space. I can quite often open a closed OH, do some reconfiguration, and fit in my bag with minimal disruption of others' property.

Originally Posted by bkafrick
I can put whatever I want in the overhead. There is no FAR that says I have to place one under my seat. If I want to place two overhead, thats my prerogative. If there is not enough space, US needs to address this by changing the allowance of two bags, or at least enforce their current rules on size.
I guess you and I just look at the world in two different ways, and have to agree to disagree on this one. I put my rollaboard up and my computer bag below the seat in front of me, even though there is usually space for both when I board early as a preferred on AA , DL, and US. If there is still space after everyone boards, then I will sometimes put up my computer bag, esp. if I am in Y.

My status doesn't give the right to waste communal space and possibly inconvenience others who would have to then check a bag. Esp. on US! I think FA's who encourage pax to first put bags underfoot, and then use the OH's are sending the correct message. Even though that is not, per se, a FAR.

Of course, on an obviously light flight, I will put both my bags--and I almost always have two--up into the OH. If this became an issue, I would quickly take my computer bag and put it back under my seat to accomodate the bags of others.

I just feel everything seems to go more pleasantly when pax look out for one another and take others into consideration. Just my $.02
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:43 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by brobab
Give me a break. I am constantly amazed at the self stuffed, self entitled few who think they own the plane. What is it going to hurt to try and make the experience a bit more pleasant for all. I have a visual of the obliviate who will stick his roll a board in sideways on the long side, put the laptop behind that and then the coat - voila - a whole overhead taken up - now, where is the FA with my pre-departure drink?
Wait...wasn't that the same guy who cut in front of everyone waiting at the gate, crowded the GA and then took up the armrests on both sides with his elbows after sitting in the wrong seat because he wasn't content with his original assignment?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by flight62
Dingo, in many ways the f/a is correct, however he probably COULD help the wheelchair passenger if the chip on his shoulder wasnt so big!

Here's the deal. The company does NOT consider f/a's bag handlers. The company insurance reps are VERY specific with that. We are required to "ASSIST" the passenger. The problem with that is that the customer doesn't always live up to their side of the bargain with regards to the word assist. In the past, if a f/a DID become injured because of lifting a bag for a customer, the insurance companies have denied coverage stating "it is not your job." Simply put, it is not our job. The company, however, gets all pissy when they hear things like this, but are unwilling to change the language and work with the insurance companies so we are allowed to truly help.

I do know f/a's who have been injuries helping grandma or a disabled passenger with their bags. Regardless if they stated they were assisting or not, it is no fun to be on an OJI (on job injury). The company assumes you are faking and you only get 80% of your pay PLUS no work and no per diem means $400+ less in your paycheck. A big price to pay for lifting a bag. It is a no win situation.

The problem is attitude. I see the strongest guys wuss out with helping old ladies. They will brag about heading to the gym on their layover, but God forbid they lift a bag for an elderly man or woman on the a/c. I take my chances with those really needing help. But I ain't 24 and at 46 I DO need to be more protective. Obviously, I don't have a chip on my shoulder bigger than Manhattan.
I found the part of the wheelchair bound lady to be amusing, not the rest of it. So who would help her if not the FA? Baggage handler? Or would we just sit there and listen to the debate of being able to lift the bag? Or, I guess, the wheelchair bound passenger should have just checked everything. But who would help her out of the chair, if she needed help, if FA's aren't allowed to lift luggage...can they lift people?

The wheelchair thing was what caught my attention.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Southern2356
I was on a red eye from LAX on Monday to CLT and they announced before boarding that anyone in zones 6,7,and 8 would have to gate check their luggage.
A different twist on a flight from CLT to BOS last night - the GA announced that anyone in a Zone lower than 3 who was willing to check their luggage at the gate, would be given a new boarding pass with a Zone 3 designation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.