Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Slam Summer Promotion 40,000 Miles Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:06 pm

In other words, you're not going to get 30K miles and gold status for buying 24 sodas via DM Dining or rolls of tape from OfficeMax.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:47 pm

Programs: 1K, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by SS255
Does it irk anybody else that 100 people (50 X 2) will be given Gold status by virtue of shopping with 24 US merchant partners without having to fly at all? I think that this is more insulting that the Mistake Golds from last year, because this time they are consciously giving away Gold status, while those of us who earned it by 50K+ miles of BIS flying are "rewarded" by losing our bonus miles!

Yes, it irks me. But if these are people who never fly and earn their "Gold" status by shopping and using this promo, do I care?

They're not going to be competing for any upgrades, let alone priority boarding, if they fly as infrequently as you suggest.

I completely agree with your thought that Preferred status should be earned and not given away but in the grand scheme of things - if 100 more Kettles are suddenly "Gold Preferreds," more power to them - I'll tip my hat to them as I pass them on my way to my FC seat (cleared 57 out of 59 possible upgrades this year so far - and 8 out of 8 for the week beginning June 30th)

Cheers!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bnarayan1511
Yes, it irks me. But if these are people who never fly and earn their "Gold" status by shopping and using this promo, do I care?

They're not going to be competing for any upgrades, let alone priority boarding, if they fly as infrequently as you suggest.
It just really bothers me that they give away status to people who don't fly, or don't fly as much, but take things away from those of us who earn BIS miles. Also, what happens if someone who is silver earns gold from this promo for next year? Does that make them Plat? (Gold from the promo + 25k BIS miles)
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I don't know why someone would be upset about measly 100 golds? Seriously if they don't fly frequently what are the odds that one will show up on your flights considering there are hundreds of flights a day and several tens of passengers on them?

If they are frequent fliers then again, they've probably already earned their status for 2009 (I am less than 2k away from Gold for next year already.)
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Official Announcement?

Has anyone either seen this promo advertised on the US Airways website or gotten an e-mail discussing it? I'm curious to know where the OP learned about this promo. (It's actually the same promo that was mentioned about a month ago by several of us when it was listed on Webflyer for a few hours.)
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
It is in US Airways Magazine that is for sure. I read info yesterday (July was in the seat pockets).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I contacted USAirways asking for clarification about the unstated limits. Unfortunately, the "Possible hits" number in the left column of the TACs are the maximum per vendor (e.g. no more than one from OfficeMax, one from iDine, one from SkyMall, etc.).
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: USAir, Delta
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Has anyone either seen this promo advertised on the US Airways website or gotten an e-mail discussing it? I'm curious to know where the OP learned about this promo.
Good question. I first saw it here and wondered why I hadn't gotten an email (as I do get other emails from them), but figured maybe they have different email lists and I'm not on the right one, or it just got lost in cyberspace.

But the promotion is supposedly going into effect today, and there's nothing on the homepage, or the DM main page, or anywhere else that I can see (from a quick look)? This doesn't make sense. How is anyone supposed to participate if they don't know about it?

Did USAir set up the promo and forget to tell people? Or did they realize there's some kind of problem with the promo (or the airline? ) and decide to hold off for some reason?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
The direct link for the promotion registration is below (if needed) - I don't recall how I ended up navigating there but it took a LONG time:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/profile...promocode=gs08
Old Jul 1, 2008, 4:04 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Has anyone either seen this promo advertised on the US Airways website or gotten an e-mail discussing it? I'm curious to know where the OP learned about this promo. (It's actually the same promo that was mentioned about a month ago by several of us when it was listed on Webflyer for a few hours.)
Here's a linky to the formal press release issued late this afternoon.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat
Question with "Hit" credit

My question is how does USAirways know when I've stayed at a hotel chain in order to get "hit" credit? I typically have my hotel points set-up to accrue into my hotel frequent stay club. Do I have to change my accural method with Marriott Rewards (or HHilton Honors) so that I earn airline miles for my stay (instead of points) before I begin earning "hit" credit for every 2nd stay. Or can I submit hotel receipts to earn the required credit?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by g8rjeff
Do I have to change my accural method with Marriott Rewards (or HHilton Honors) so that I earn airline miles for my stay (instead of points) before I begin earning "hit" credit for every 2nd stay.
Yes. You must credit your points to US for it to register as a hit.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
From what I understand, you can transfer miles from hotel partners to Dividend Miles nine times and get nine hits...if this is the case then one could net nine hits for ZERO dollars (albeit not necessarily a good use of hotel points, but it's good for those who need more miles instead of points).
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:10 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
From what I understand, you can transfer miles from hotel partners to Dividend Miles nine times and get nine hits...if this is the case then one could net nine hits for ZERO dollars (albeit not necessarily a good use of hotel points, but it's good for those who need more miles instead of points).
It's a pretty bad use of points, and there probably aren't many folks with enough points in all nine hotel partners to transfer at least 3,000 miles out of each program.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Would I rather have 40,000 HH points (equal to a free night at a Category 6 hotel or alternatively almost one-third of a 4-night AXON award) OR 3,400 US Airways miles plus a maximum of 10,000 threshhold bonus miles?

There would have to be some extenuating circumstances to choose the latter and even then, you could probably come up with a better way to earn 13,400 US Airways miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.