Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Hotel contracts for crews?

Hi, I'm curious...how are the hotels selected for when crews do overnights? I have seen a wide variety of hotel brands and tiers used. Is the hotel you stay at set by seniority? Also, do you rack up hotel points on these stays?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:39 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by stealthnc
Hi, I'm curious...how are the hotels selected for when crews do overnights? I have seen a wide variety of hotel brands and tiers used. Is the hotel you stay at set by seniority? Also, do you rack up hotel points on these stays?
It varies by city, company, brand affiliation and contractual obligations. Like say for instance Republic tries to stick with the Holiday Inn brands as it meets the contractual obligations. None of the hotels are set by seniority but preferred layover cities (those with great hotels) are awarded by seniority Some of the hotels will give us points but it is very few. Funny thing with the downturn in the economy some of our hotels are changing. We have gotten better hotels in YUL, MHT, BOS, SAV and a couple of others. The guaranteed revenue is being fought over!
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:13 pm

From what I undstand the company sends out info ie. number of rooms per night, budget etc. to hotels in the layover city. Then the union hotel reps. inspect the hotels and give the company their opinion. Most of the time we end up with the hotel the union chooses.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Turtle Club

Lets see if any of you all remember the 70s.

What was the Turtle Club. What was the main rule of joining. What were the three questions. What was your response if asked "are you a turtle?" and what happened if you did not answer?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:47 am

Haha!! You bet your sweet ... I am!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:34 am
Suspended

As you didn't complete it, you owe me a drink
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:49 pm

The Turtle Creed

Turtles are bright eyed, bushy tailed, fearless and unafraid folk with a fighter pilot attitude. They think clean, have fun a lot, and recognize the fact that you never get anyplace in life worthwhile unless you stick your neck out.

What does a woman do sitting down, that a dog does on three legs, and a man does standing up?

What is a four letter word, ending with "k," that means intercourse?

What is so long, and so hard, and sticks so far out of a man's pajamas in the morning, that he could hang a hat upon it??

What does a cow have four of, that a woman only has two of?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by tahitigirl
The Turtle Creed

Turtles are bright eyed, bushy tailed, fearless and unafraid folk with a fighter pilot attitude. They think clean, have fun a lot, and recognize the fact that you never get anyplace in life worthwhile unless you stick your neck out.
Ah, those were the days when flying was fun - for both the pilots and cabin staff and the passengers. I wonder if we will ever see them again. Maybe with space travel.

ps I still have my pin
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: US Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, DL/NWA dirt, AA dirt
I just noticed but if I think back it has been a while since I last heard the FA announce connection gates when arriving at a hub.

When and why did this practice stop?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:09 pm

A couple of years ago. We adivise to check in the airport for connecting flight info. I'm happy about it since our info is old and subject to change.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:23 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Some express carriers still do it. But as Tahiti said its old info. Actually your connecting boarding pass will have the same info on it that we do.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
Clipping Finger Nails in Galley?

On a recent flight, the flight attendant in 1st was clipping his finger nails and letting the remnants fly into the galley. I was glad that the meal had already been served! Besides the obvious common courtesy, is there anything about this in the regulations?

In his defense, he did upgrade a Marine to an open seat in 1st, so his heart was in the right place.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:01 am

Kudos and a You Go Girl!

Had a real pleasure to be served by Lisa N. on US PHL-LAX this afternoon!

We started off with a super-quick turnaround and everyone rushing to their seats. Guess we didn't sit fast enough, because due to the PHL cement construction / paving, there was a 4-plane pileup that delayed our pushback just a lil' bit.

This is where Lisa N. kicked in!

My brief but inadequate list:

- Moved a woman from two seat emergency Row 9 up to about Row 7 because the woman felt the door would be too heavy and "she can't do heavy" (never understood how you ask to sit in an exit row if you need to ask how heavy the door is)

- Moved around three servicemen towards the front in Row 5 (right behind F) and gave them bottles of water. ^

- Had a smile the ENTIRE flight! :-: :-:

- Can't reiterate enough what a real pleasure it was to watch her in action dealing with credit cards, people ordering snacks and sandwiches, quite a few boozehounds needing another double gin and tonic, jack and coke, baileys and coffee, etc. You name it, Lisa N was on it and with warm attitude and pleasant smile.

We weren't anybody "special" in F, just some servicemen and a few lucky of us up front.

This definitely gets a YOU GO GIRLFRIEND!

-onebrisk
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:55 pm

Change of Uniform During Flight

I'm curious to know whether the cabin crew change at least part of their uniform mid-flight, especially if it is a long-haul or international flight. From my experience on different carriers, the flight attendants still manage to look pretty fresh with near impeccable uniforms even near the end of a 14 hour flight, for example. How do you gals/guys do it? I know my girlfriend would be horrified if she had to wear the same nylons for 14 hours straight!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Pre-boarding privs

If someone chooses to pre-board, does the gate agent ask "why are you pre-boarding"? I know sometimes disabilities are "hidden" and may not be apparent. Or is it sufficient to say, "I have a hidden disability, and need to pre-board."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.