Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Conf exit seat - then they change plane - left with reg seat - options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Was confirmed on exit row seat for long PHL to LAS flight. When I got to the gate they announced they had changed the plane from a stnd 757 to the new tran-atlan 757. so my exit seat number was now a reg seat. The desk guy was no help and said it was too late the change my seat to exit and first was full. As you know the trans-atlan 757 has 12 envoy vs 8 first. so sat in reg seat, which sucks for a 5.5 hour flight. What are my options after the fact? If they did not re-assign me to a an exit row then they should of put me in one of the new envoy seats which would not of even been there if the plane was not changed. Meaning those 4 new seats would be empty.

Any ideas of who to complain to and what to expect? Thanks. I'm Silver BTW
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Pref.
Hi mbenzgt

I'm really sorry to hear that you were stuck in a normal coach seat on such a long flight. However, there's really nothing you can do. Even as a Chairman's Preferred elite, I find it very difficult to upgrade on any flight operated with a Boeing 757. With all the elites/GoFirst competing for those 4 seats, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you were stuck in row 23 middle.

I doubt you'll get sympathy from anyone else here or at US Airways. You bought a coach seat, and that's exactly what you got.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EP
I agree with Stuckinrow. One time, I was given an exit row, but I didn't look carefully and it was a faux exit row! 10D on the 321. While I often call exit row seating the "poor man's upgrade," and try to get those seats if F isn't available, that's not something you can really complain about. It's still a coach seat.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The Envoy cabin should have been filled with free Preferred upgrades. If you saw that 4 seats went out empty in the front cabin I think you should e-mail Customer Relations. Even if you were too far down in the Preferred upgrade pecking order and would not have gotten the upgrade anyway, there should not have been any open seats in F if there were Preferred's sitting in the back. But unless you are certain that the flight took off with empty seats up front, I'm afraid you don't have much of a complaint.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Unless US is different than other airlines, if your seat exists on the new plane you get to keep it - otherwise, you're SOL (so if you're in row 25 on a 320 that gets replaced by a 319 your row no longer exists and you get bumped.)

I have seen it happen where the new plane was larger and row 4 who would have been the first row in coach are now the last row in F. That was how America West did it.... so the last row in F might have been the passengers who originally had been assigned to Row 3 in coach....

I have been told that's why AC starts all their coach seating at Row 12 (except for their 777s and planes with no F) so if they have a plane swap it's easier to have passengers get on the new plane without having coach passengers unintentionally bumped up to F.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:35 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
You paid for a coach seat and got a coach seat. I don't see what restitution is due to you. Unfortunately, it happens.

You would have been entitled to those Envoy seats if Golds/Plats/CPs were given their shot. Oh, and anyone who actually paid for an F seat, which happens a lot on the LAS runs I'm told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.