Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changed to Mesa! Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:23 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Mesa/US operations in LAS are solid -- nothing like what people are reporting at IAD or ORD.

Good news for the OP ^

As for not flying Mesa- I don't. I've learned my lesson. I will always book another airline instead of Mesa. One reason I am PLT on AA. Unfortunately when flying UA sometimes I end up with Mesa via a schedule change (like the OP).

If this happens I try and get my ticket changed or refunded, but this isn't always possible, and if I can't I always try to standby for another flight, but this doesn't always work either.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by warbo
Mesa is the world's worst airline? Since when? Maybe you read different statistics to the rest of the world. What an unhelpful and inaccurate reply to this chap who is just looking for some helpful advice. I'd think before you next post an inaccurate response.
My post was (in my opinion) quite helpful and answered several of the OP's questions involving what this change affected. I would say, much more helpful in this regard than yours, which was only to tell me mine was terrible.

Although I was too over the top in saying Mesa is the worst airline 'in the world' (and since corrected), I would be VERY interested to see your statistics on Mesa and other world airlines. So bring it on.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:41 pm

Website cache from one shut down by Mesa

http://www.mesa-air-sucks.com/

http://www.dontflygo.com/

Of course these sites are highly biased, but do provide links to 'real' news sources.

FWIW I am generally not a negative poster here (or anywhere!) but due to my own, very very poor experiences (repeatably, out of 3 different hub airports) I cannot give Mesa any more benefit of the doubt. And there seem to be a LOT that agree.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Apr 8, 2007 at 11:50 pm
Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:36 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
All regionals blow..

Well, its not just Mesa, but I've had some bad experiences all around.

I've had some very unattentive flight attendants on SkyWest, some aweful flights on Air Wisconsin (USAir days & United), Comair, ASA (Oh, don't get me started on them).

But Mesa is mediocre, at best. The hawai'i product is nice, but the PHX/LAS ops are a complete 180 when compared to the UAX flights.

Your plane should be on time, your pilots fun, your FAs will be hit-or-miss. Seats are crummy, but thank America West for that one as they're the ones that picked them out.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
and possibly having to leave your carry-on at the door if it is too large (you get it back at the door when you land), everything else is the same, so don't worry about anything.

There have been many discussions here about elite members using the First Class line at LAS and most report it's not a problem. But, a First Class stamp from a lounge "matron" won't hurt. Neither will a sexy Scottish brogue.

Relax -- nothing to worry about. Enjoy your trip.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply^ I don't think the TSA staff will be used to a bmi *G card, so I'll be working on obtaining the First Class stamp from matron

Originally Posted by LAX1K to AmWest
. any carryons are usually checked plane side and come back plane-side too.
Thanks^

Just one point.....I'm used to having larger items of hand luggage taken from me at the steps of the Embraers on bmi Regional. On one previous occasion the dispatcher must have slammed my bag into the hand luggage hold, because an expensive camera inside was smashed. I had to threaten bmi with going over to the dark side (BA) before they paid in full for a new camera. Since then I've used a camcorder bag to carry all my electronic gear (cell phones, cameras, battery charger, 2 way radios, son's PSP....kitchen sink!). This fits into the overhead storage of the Embraer, so no problem with breakages. Will this fit the 900's overhead or under seat storage.....the dimensions are 14.5x10x9 inches?
Old Apr 9, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by kudzu
I believe the LAS fast security lane is for Crew, Handicapped, and First Class only. Even though my BP says FC, I've been advised by the Club agents to let them stamp "First Class" in red ink on the BP every time so that I would have no trouble using that line.

The Club agents (I usually say "Club ladies" but there's a male at the LAS reception desk sometimes ) are super friendly, and I would wager a friendly bet that your cute Scottish accent would work wonders

The LAS lane is for elite as well as F pax. You will have no issues with a *G/*S card using the line, but can have the lounge or ticket agent stamp you if you wish. See this thread in the Las Vegas forum for details.

Originally Posted by gate4lounge
Thank you for your thoughtful reply I don't think the TSA staff will be used to a bmi *G card, so I'll be working on obtaining the First Class stamp from matron
As BD does serve LAS non-stop, you may be surprised that they do recognize it. If you handed them an Adria, Blue1, or Croatia *G card instead, they might be a little confused

Last edited by Mrp Alert; Apr 9, 2007 at 4:20 pm
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
My post was (in my opinion) quite helpful and answered several of the OP's questions involving what this change affected. I would say, much more helpful in this regard than yours, which was only to tell me mine was terrible.

Although I was too over the top in saying Mesa is the worst airline 'in the world' (and since corrected), I would be VERY interested to see your statistics on Mesa and other world airlines. So bring it on.
So if you knew you were wrong in the first place, why did you make the erroneous claim that Mesa are the 'worst airline in the world' when clearly they are not? That's all I was trying to ascertain.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by warbo
So if you knew you were wrong in the first place, why did you make the erroneous claim that Mesa are the 'worst airline in the world' when clearly they are not? That's all I was trying to ascertain.
I've flown a lot of airlines and by far my worst experiences have been on Mesa. My top 5 in fact! So to me, they are the worst ever. However, I conceded to others that i haven't come close to flying every airline in the world, so I can't say that truthfully they are the worst.

However, you seem to be able to say they aren't, with authority. And you said you have the statistics to back it up.

So where are they??? if you are going to claim I am reading the wrong ones, please point me to the 'right' ones.

If you don't have them, it's simply a matter of opinion.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks Mrp Alert^
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I've flown a lot of airlines and by far my worst experiences have been on Mesa.
Ditto that. It's one of the main reasons I don't fly UAL much any more. Being in NYC relegates me to Messy connections to IAD. Blech.

While their numbers post alright, that's because there's not much truth behind them. I've witnessed (first-hand mind you) on multiple occassions them doing things like coding flights as ATC delays, or cancelling due to weather - when neither condition existed and the equip. was sitting at the gate.

There was an April Fools Day post on a UAL forum somewhere (can't remember if it was FT) that was a mock press release saying that UAX/Mesa had abaondoned scheduled service and would fly "whenever we felt like it." And in my humble opinion, that's the truth.

Staff is generally surley and service in-flight is generally non-existant. "Due to the short duration of our flight" is heard on many flights over 60 min.

I'll also add that my only problems with Mesa have been on the East coast and have flown them on the West as well, as HP feeders, with absolutey 0 problems, so the OP should be okay.

But I maintain that Mesa is a bottom-feeder amongst regional carriers no matter how profitable they are, or what kind of numbers they give the FAA.

From a customer stand-point, they're horrendous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.