Wiki Posts
Search

Flight changed to Mesa! Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Flight changed to Mesa! Questions

Hi, I'm based in the UK and have little experience of internal US flights....so bear with me please I'm *G via bmi.

I had booked tix on US web site for travel LAS-SAN (2 adults, 2 kids), travelling in July. The flight was supposed to be operated by America West. I've just checked my reservation and see that the flight info has changed - it's now on a CRJ 900, operated by Mesa doing business as America West Express - from a few searches on this forum, it seems like we've been hit by a double whammy

I've found the answers to a few of my questions by searching but I wonder of you kind people can confirm the following;-

1. We still check in (or do the bag drop if we do OLCI) at the US desks at LAS.
2. We still have access to the US lounge at LAS.
3. Baggage allowance is unchanged - but we have to watch out for the fact that the 900 only allows small items of hand luggage (other hand luggage being tagged).

Also, I believe that its possible to get a priority stamp on our boarding passes to speed us through security (does *G allow this or do I need to rely on a cute Scottish accent?). Any advice on this welcome.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I can't comment on this particular airline, but in all my travels, the smaller airline operating as the larger airline does not cause any changes in rules. Everything should operate the same as any flight on America West, except of course, the size of the plane limiting what can be carried on.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Nothing has changed on your end. You'll just be flying the worst airline in the NEW world (Mesa). Hopefully, your flight will be the 1 out of 50 that goes without a hitch.

But, check-in, lounge access, etc is unchanged.

As for priority security, there is no stamp, but your *Gold status should be your way in to that line (make sure your boarding pass reflects it)

Keep your expectations low and Mesa will be fine. Never flown them on the west coast, so hopefully they are better out there than ORD or IAD. The good news is that is you final stop (right?) so delays won't ruin any connections.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Apr 8, 2007 at 11:36 pm
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You'll just be flying the worst airline in the world (Mesa).
In the world? Really? Have you ever flown Indian Airways? Take a ride from Bangalore to Agra and let me know if your opinion changes.

I won't disagree that Mesa royally sucks, but it's an hour flight and he'll get there safely.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by sdlevi27
In the world? Really? Have you ever flown Indian Airways? Take a ride from Bangalore to Agra and let me know if your opinion changes.

I won't disagree that Mesa royally sucks, but it's an hour flight and he'll get there safely.
Ok, ok. My hatred for Mesa got the best of me.

They are easily the worst airline you can fly in the states.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:58 pm

Ok, ok. My hatred for Mesa got the best of me.

They are easily the worst airline you can fly in the states.
Woah Woah...Guys Guys...

The YV Operation in PHX/LAS is WAYYY better than the operation in IAD/ORD

Mesa indeed sucks but...atleast it's better on the west coast
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by gate4lounge
...Also, I believe that its possible to get a priority stamp on our boarding passes to speed us through security (does *G allow this or do I need to rely on a cute Scottish accent?)...
I believe the LAS fast security lane is for Crew, Handicapped, and First Class only. Even though my BP says FC, I've been advised by the Club agents to let them stamp "First Class" in red ink on the BP every time so that I would have no trouble using that line.

The Club agents (I usually say "Club ladies" but there's a male at the LAS reception desk sometimes ) are super friendly, and I would wager a friendly bet that your cute Scottish accent would work wonders
Old Apr 8, 2007, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Thanks for your very swift and helpful responses folks^

I only became aware of the changes in airline/plane today. My heart sank when I read my search results for "Mesa" and then "CRJ 900". I've travelled a few times on bmi Regional's small Embraers but these seem quite decent compared to the 900!

As sdlevi27 said - the flight is only an hour. We can happily suffer that

kudzu....nice to hear that the lounge matrons are pax friendly I shall work on my highland accent.....so much sexier than my lowland twang
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:09 pm

Nothing has changed on your end. You'll just be flying the worst airline in the world (Mesa). Hopefully, your flight will be the 1 out of 50 that goes without a hitch.

But, check-in, lounge access, etc is unchanged.

As for priority security, there is no stamp, but your *Gold status should be your way in to that line (make sure your boarding pass reflects it)

Keep your expectations low and Mesa will be fine. Never flown them on the west coast, so hopefully they are better out there than ORD or IAD. The good news is that is you final stop (right?) so delays won't ruin any connections.
Mesa is the world's worst airline? Since when? Maybe you read different statistics to the rest of the world. What an unhelpful and inaccurate reply to this chap who is just looking for some helpful advice. I'd think before you next post an inaccurate response.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I must be the only person in the world who has not had any trouble with Mesa. My primary complaint is the HARD, HARD seats on the HP Express/Mesa-operated CRJ 900s.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees
I must be the only person in the world who has not had any trouble with Mesa. My primary complaint is the HARD, HARD seats on the HP Express/Mesa-operated CRJ 900s.
If people dont like Mesa...stop whining and just dont fly on YV!
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by usa18dca
If people dont like Mesa...stop whining and just dont fly on YV!
I said I thought I was the only person who did not have problems. If I could avoid just that one plane, I would. But it is serving a regular route I have. So I just sit down gently...
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees
I said I thought I was the only person who did not have problems. If I could avoid just that one plane, I would. But it is serving a regular route I have. So I just sit down gently...

I don't like the planes from Canada's version of Hell though...ERJs and Dashs get my NRSA passes but outta IAD we had ERJs and some CR7 flights thank god.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
The Mesa CRJ 900s are fine for an hour flight. It's the two-hour-plus variety that I find unacceptable.

Mesa/US operations in LAS are solid -- nothing like what people are reporting at IAD or ORD. Other than getting on a smaller plane, and possibly having to leave your carry-on at the door if it is too large (you get it back at the door when you land), everything else is the same, so don't worry about anything.

There have been many discussions here about elite members using the First Class line at LAS and most report it's not a problem. But, a First Class stamp from a lounge "matron" won't hurt. Neither will a sexy Scottish brogue.

Relax -- nothing to worry about. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:38 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
I totally agree, besides an uncomfortable seat, and possible a slightly rude or unprofessional FA, you should be ok. But it is an easy 1 hour flight, and the plane is new, but slightly cramped.. any carryons are usually checked plane side and come back plane-side too.

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The Mesa CRJ 900s are fine for an hour flight. It's the two-hour-plus variety that I find unacceptable.

Mesa/US operations in LAS are solid -- nothing like what people are reporting at IAD or ORD. Other than getting on a smaller plane, and possibly having to leave your carry-on at the door if it is too large (you get it back at the door when you land), everything else is the same, so don't worry about anything.

There have been many discussions here about elite members using the First Class line at LAS and most report it's not a problem. But, a First Class stamp from a lounge "matron" won't hurt. Neither will a sexy Scottish brogue.

Relax -- nothing to worry about. Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.