Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL-FCO returns to Philly last night

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
OK, attack me, but ... will they get full mileage credit for the returned flight and then the one they were rebooked on?
This is an unusual scenario, but for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents based on previous experience. If they stayed booked on US, then NO. (They'd just get credit for the final flight to Rome.)

However, if they were switched to another carrier's flight, say Alitalia, Delta, AA, etc, they'd be eligible for both the scheduled (but incomplete) US flight as well as mileage credit in the final carrier's program. (That assumes, of course, that the pax is an existing member of the other airline's program.)
Old Apr 6, 2007, 8:39 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Heinrich
well the newest posting says that the captain had not crossed fully into NAT airspace and was obligated to return. Apparently the real problem was no backup crew.
As I've posted over there--I'm not really qualified to fly a transport class aircraft over the pond, but if you look at that track it is certainly not like the thing quit over the coast of Jersey--they were a couple of hundred miles out, easy.

Without knowing the US FOM on this, it's (including mine) idle speculation. I do believe that before the pilots started "working to rule" that the flight probably continues. (a note--I don't see the working to rule as a bad thing, per se, I'm just making the observation).

But let's take it at face value--US knows the aircraft is coming back and knows the crew is going to timeout in somewhat short order--why was the reserve crew not called at that point?

The answer: US is cheap. If they did not need the reserve crew, they would have had to pay their guarantee. Instead, they strand people in PHL for at least a day, strand people in FCO for at least a day, and presumably get hit the paying the FCO originating people according to the EU rules on the subject. I believe our two colleagues from Guinness said it best: "Brilliant."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.